Thread: Texan --wants a black bear

Default Texan --wants a black bear

Hello folks,I live in Texas and I want to come to Alaska to hunt a black bear and caribou.Just wanting some help on where to start on planning a trip and any other helpful info.Theres no caribou or bear here,I've hunted alot of deer and elk all over,time for an adventure.Thanks alot--Billy

Default Billy

Cut yorself a big old hickory switch and sharpen your pocket knife you should be ready.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Black Bear Hunt

The first 2 people who come to mind are Mike Strahan and Larry Bartlett. Both provide services for planning a hunt. The fee is reasonable and I doubt you can go wrong with either.

Black bear and caribou are usually not in the same places. Caribou tend to be on the tundra and black bears tend not to be because of the grizzly.
    however, there are places with both, usually along rivers where the caribou cross and there's trees along the banks. Timing for the caribou is important.

More info needed. Do you want to do a drop-off, or a complete guided hunt?
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Yep, need more info...are you bow hunting or Rifle hunting? I know places you can take both in the same area...20E has lots of bears period. However its a quota hunt for bou, and its in Aug. the blackies are kind of rubbed out, a late season hunt for bou would be better, if you want a nice black bear hide, but the bou will be in hard horn and could be rutting up, you'd just have to jerk all the meat. Theres many ways of doing this, and you can do it unguided, but you lack alot of info. so its hard to help you, because you need to tell us how, where and when you want to hunt, these are big factors here. If you have an IBEP certification you might want to think about the haul Road (Dalton)....Let us know, theres alot of options....CK

Thanks for the info.,I really want a blk. bear first, I will do a DIY if needed,or go through a outfitter,I'm just scared of getting burnt because I have been screwed around alot on outfitters here in Texas and alot of horror stories that happen to hunters right here in Texas.I'm trying to get my brother and his 17 yr. old boy to come,we are very management minded hunters,I'm the one that really wants to go to Alaska though right now.And yes it is for rifle ,I like to bow hunt,but if I'm going to Alaska for the first time I want my smoke pole.Thanks alot-Billy

Spring black bear is a great hunt and the meat is good to eat. In my personal opinion, the hides are in better shape and make a better presentation. I've gone out a number of times. If its a fall hunt for both, there are areas, like the others have said, where there is both but its not all over. As "K" stated, the later in the fall the bear hides get better. Timing for the caribou rut should be taken into consideration. Are you thinking of a drop off by an air service? If you are considering using someone, ask on the forum and you'll get some answers.

Default Black bears

If Your main priority is the Black bear then i would suggest do it in the Spring, right when they come out of den, thats when we bait for them here. Understand you are not baiting, but if you want to do spot and stalk, why not try PWS, get you guys a water taxi, theres a few of them out of Valdez..might want to talk to "Dave in the Bush" he seems to me pretty knowledgable on black bears for that area. I've taken three blackies in the last two seasons, two of which are cinnamon phase. If you want info. PM me,.....CK

Default black bear

Sent you a PM.

Default Find out all you can

Had a funny encounter last spring. I run a bait station just out of Palmer, and kept seeing a guy from outside that was with his "local" friend or relative, and they were trying to roadhunt Maud road. Last warden I asked, he knew of 14 bait stations along the road, which is 5 miles long at the most. As for seeing bear from the road, I've seen 4 black bear along heavily traveled roads in 20 years living in the Wasilla area. Just FYI, and IMO- if its Southcentral, the only road hunting is in areas where you can pull off and glass an adjacent mountainside. The best of those areas are found on the Kenai Peninsula.

PWS or Southeast Alaska, based from a boat, offer a terrific hunt. It may cost a little more than a DIY in the Valley or elsewhere, but the scenery is unmatched, you can fish rockfish, maybe crab or shrimp (not sure on non resident requirements there) and you will see a ton of sealife.

Goldrush Adventures does spring blackie guiding along the Yentna. I'd highly recommend him if you're looking for a hunt over bait. Average size range of bear in that area, seems to be 5.5-7.0 squared, with a lot of bear in the 6-6.5 foot area (from the ones I've seen). I've hunted with a guy in the same general area, and most of the bear he shoots are in the 6-6.5 foot range. His biggest is 7.5 foot squared: i'm not sure of GoldRush's numbers, but from his pictures and knowing the area I'm guessing they're similar. Remember that its a spring hunt so you won't see gargantuan weights.

He also does fall float hunts off the haul road, and gets some dandy caribou, wolf and bear. I think the only bear he gets in the fall are griz, though.

Default stay in texas

why don't you just go "hunt" one of those high fence "ranches" right there in texas. heck they will even send you a pic of your caribou and bear that you are going to shoot before you arrive. but if you are a real hunter alaska sure as it all.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    why don't you just go "hunt" one of those high fence "ranches" right there in texas. heck they will even send you a pic of your caribou and bear that you are going to shoot before you arrive. but if you are a real hunter alaska sure as it all.
    I saw a dall sheep hunt on OLN one time from texas
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I saw a dall sheep hunt on OLN one time from texas
    yeah a Texas Dall.... just a hybrid sheep they came up with down here.... that's all i can chase with the name Dall in it for awhile... been looking real hard but $13,000 is kind of hard to swallow... or at least talk my wife into

What do you mean by a hybrid?...Are you Texans cross-breeding sheep with those exotic game ranching animals?

Default Ya'll should come to Seward!!

Hi!! I'm an Alaskan (been up here 14 years, paid my dues commercial fishing in SE and the Bering, for crab)...and we have 5 little future Alaskan hunters and trappers......but I was raised in Texas . Parents still live there....and my sister was an Aggie.
    ....Why not bring your whole family to Seward, stay in a B&B cabin in the woods, and hunt for some nice black bear and moose , while being able to fish for world class salmon and halibut?(not to mention the grayling, dolly varden, and rainbows in the nearby lakes and rivers).
    We live at the top of the world!!

Red face Try this....

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    Hello folks,I live in Texas and I want to come to Alaska to hunt a black bear and caribou.Just wanting some help on where to start on planning a trip and any other helpful info.Theres no caribou or bear here,I've hunted alot of deer and elk all over,time for an adventure.Thanks alot--Billy
    Come up for a bear hunt and then come up again for a caribou hunt. If you try to do both and are limited on time or whatever, I'm afraid that your chances of success are slimmer going after both. Come up, do a bear hunt. Focus all of your time on just bears. Then come up again for caribou and focus all of your time for them as well. Or do the caribou hunt first and focus on them primarily and hope for a blackie to show up. TOO many people and I do mean "TOO MANY PEOPLE" make these mutli-species hunt plans just to go home pissed, dejected, hating Alaska, or broke because they didn't score on one or even both. Whether it be due to weather, time, money, location or whatever. Yah, a person can score mutli species on a hunt in one area, but it's not as common as you would think or they travelled to various other areas. Do what you want, but I'd stick to one critter at a time. You'll also get 2 seperate trips to Alaska out of the deal too and that's not a bad thing.. Good luck...

if i was only going to do a Black bear i would look at the coast of british columbia.