Thread: Thoughts on 300 H&H price

Default Thoughts on 300 H&H price

I seek the knowledge of the counsel of elders on this one. Winchester WTR in 300 H&H. This thing looks cheery. Not a Pre-64 but **** it looks sweet. Think the price is over the top at 850.00. What do you think?

Not sure what the WTR stands for but if this rifle is a "classic" I think it is over priced.
    If it is a push feed then it is way over priced.
    Just my $.02's worth
    Tennessee

I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Default that is the one

that is the one bush.. I thought it looked sweet but thinking the price too high. Jeff

Ok, it is winter and I am real slow. Perhaps I should ask if a 12 Ga. will kill a bear. No wait! will a .270 stop a charge and can I use a 500 S&W on a bear? If or when when I am fishing on the Deshka; will a .38+P stop a charge. Oh jee wiz heck, can I use a 338/06 on a deer and then use it on a Moose? I am from Arkansas and hunting unit14 just north of Ft Rich.

sorry, long night and I need to go to bed. think the rifle will sit. thanks for the info fellows.

Default Keep an eye on it!

I'd just about bet that the thing will easily top $900, and might even push $1K. Any Model 70 in that chambering, even the lowly push feed XTR is a 'premium', like the 6.5 Swede and .257 Roberts Featherweights.
    I've been seeing what I'd consider some really astonishing prices for M70's recently, even with the announcement that the 70's are back.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Perhaps the seller is betting on a last minute value spike given the very real possibility that by this time next year you will once again be saying “did you hear what President Clinton is going to do to us now?” and of course you can add that; due to the inherent evil nature of such a weapon, one that is obviously far to powerful and dangerous for civilian use, and clearly has no justifiable use in legitimate hunting of our poor mismanaged and endangered animals, we will either have to forbid it from sale or raise the price beyond the reach of the uneducated. Besides, some steak eating, knuckle dragger with a misguided sense of entitlement too his imagined second amendment rights could use it to kill a beautiful fluffy, gentile wolf, or worse yet, could poach one of those endangered polar bears. Hay……….that’s no way to start off the day…………..sorry, I guess I should go back to bed!

In all seriousness, I would let that one pass, she seems a tad on the high side.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Talking

Ok I slept on it and Good morning to those that added to the thread. I want a 300H&H so bad I can taste it. Am thinking if I go at it bit by bit I am in it for well over 1 grand. Action about 400, Barrel about the same price. Gunsmith work about the same price and then some, Stock... Well you all know the drill. So thought if I can get a complete rifle in great shape I am not so far behind the 8 ball. Funny hobby I decided to get into.. Dang stamp collecting just did not do it for me. Is it spring yet? lol

Or you could just buy a W70 in 300 WM and have the barrel rechambered and the block in the magazine removed and the other machine work done.
    Stan Jackson charges $100 last time I talked to him to do all the work plus the rechambering charge.
    Tennessee

This is why I love this site, thanks snow, I did not think of that. Could get a 300 WM much cheaper, True the action, and have heard nothing but good about Stan Jackson. I think will give him a call and see what he says.

FWIW, Great Northern Guns in Anchorage had a M70 XTR in .300 H&H (just like the one in the link above), just a couple of weeks ago. Price tag said $750, but they said they would take $700. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still there.

Good luck.

I think the H&H is a cool old caliber but I'd want it in an original gun. A gun of some vintage that would carry with it all the character of the 300 H&H. A pre 64 M70 maybe in a pre war rifle, a Belgium made Browning Safari rifle of the 1960's with the Mauser extractor or even a Remington M721. I once found a very rare model 725 Remington in the 300 H&H but didn't have the cash for it.

The caliber does command a premium price over almost any other caliber in the older rifles, there were very few made in some rifles.

Rechambering a 300 Win to the H&H will require the barrel be set back to clear out all the old chamber but that can be done, it just seems to not be as much fun as an old original.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?