Thread: big Lake snow conditions

Default big Lake snow conditions

Has anyone been to Big Lake? What is the snow like there?

Palmer, AK

I went to Nancy Lake just before the last big snow fall. Very rough trails with minimal snow. The lakes all had gotten real warm, then froze solid. It was about 0 out when I rode. Not a lot of fun...but then they got about a foot more snow on this rock hard base...I would bet it is really nice now
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Willow AK.

Question Any Grooming?

Does anybody know if they have done any grooming in that neck of the woods?
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Northeasterly of a Big Lake

I think it was the week of the 17th that I saw the groomers out on Big Lake Trail 5/6...It was evident they dragged the groomer over the system in the succeeding days. I've not been out since Saturday 1/26. Dam work ruins everything
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default conditions on 1/26

It sucked, the smaller lakes all had massive overflow from the previous weekend when it warmed up to 35-40, then the meager amount of snow they received on Thursday(4 inches) didn't do much to overcome the wet slushy stuff.

The iron dog trail was bumpy and not groomed very well, and really not much snow for this time of year.

However a bad day of riding is still better than a good day of work.