Thread: measuring recoil

Default measuring recoil

Does anyone know of a link that lists recoil specs for the various centerfire cartridges. Or does anyone have those specs available?

Also, I have never used a muzzle brake, but am planning on installing one on my next project, a larger caliber rifle for the big bears. I would like the opinions of you guys who have used them.

Are they worth it?
    Would you do it again?
    Negatives associated with a muzzle brake?

Thanks ahead.

Here you go:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

I personally don't like the increased blast and noise associated with muzzle brakes i would rather deal with the recoil but to each their own.

They do reduce recoil but they also reduce you and your partners ability to ever hear again! I would caution you into considering putting a MB on a heavy caliber rifle as theres plenty of manageble big bear calibers out there without a muzzlebrake on em.

If you like math you could try this. You don't know what rifle weight Chuck uses.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...recoil+formula
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default recoil

Thanks to theONE73. Thats what I was looking for-just a general comparison. It might have been a loaded question, but the situation is this:
    Shot a 12 guage slug gun for 30 years for one of my deer hunts and finally said the heck with that.I do alot of shooting, so went to a 20 and have had every one drop within 20' since.(so much for 12 guage)

I know what a 12 does and what I can take, so am trying to figure out which of the larger calibers I can go with that I can also comfortably shoot off the bench on a regular basis. I would like to use it for brown bear, moose, etc. I would lean to the minimum size of the debate instead of the cannons. I also understand rifle design has a big bearing on felt recoil.

Thanks again Cub and Murph, any ideas or thoughts are appreciated. Also feel free to make a suggestion-Jake, chime in any time. I'm (sort of) leaning towards Rem. or H-S Presision .338 Win. Mag. Am I on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    If you like math you could try this. You don't know what rifle weight Chuck uses.
    It says in the table what weight each rifle was.

Bud the 338WM is not that harsh in the recoil department and one of the single most obvious recoil reducers in my opinion is the stock on any rifle. El Cheapo tupperware stocks as compared to some of the quality stocks makes a big diffeence. I put a McMillan on my 338 and its really very comfortable to shoot regardless of load. Something to do with the ergonomics of the stocks and how they affect percieved recoil.

Default No brake

Agreed that you should do your research prior to getting a brake. I had one installed at a friends recommendation in 98', but now my .338 barrel is a couple inches shorter (which I like) without the brake. I had a smith cut it off and recess crown the barrel.

Too much flash and bang, which was easy to handle at the range but really painful if you aren't protecting your ears while hunting. Your hunting partner might just slap you around a little bit too if you don't give him a heads up. The flash can also make it hard to see the animals response and exit route if you shoot in the last or first 30 minutes of light.

I also agree that good stocks and nice recoil reduction pads can do wonders to remove a lot of felt recoil. In my book that's a better solution for both myself and my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by YUKON AL View Post
    Thanks again Cub and Murph, any ideas or thoughts are appreciated. Also feel free to make a suggestion-Jake, chime in any time. I'm (sort of) leaning towards Rem. or H-S Presision .338 Win. Mag. Am I on the right track?
    You got lots of options for a great 338 WM. Me personally I wanted something very weather resistant (Ruger) something with Controlled Round Feed (Ruger) and something that I can rely on (Ruger). Had a trigger job done on it and slapped it in a custom McMillan stock. Only thing left to do is have iron sights put on it which is next. Here is a pic of mine (on on the right) and she shoots sub MOA with Barnes 210gr TSX's and Swift 250 gr A-Frames. Who's to bittch?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    They do reduce recoil but they also reduce you and your partners ability to ever hear again! I would caution you into considering putting a MB on a heavy caliber rifle as theres plenty of manageble big bear calibers out there without a muzzlebrake on em.
    I agree totally with what AlaskaCub, said. There's no better way to say it than that.

A good recoil pad, like a Limbsaver, and learning to make sure the stock is snugly against your shoulder. will help immensely. That has been my experience with my 338.

When you shoot at a bench, position your rifle so that you can sit upright, and not leaning into it. I use a LOWER stool to accomplish this.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    It says in the table what weight each rifle was.
    True, but you don't get to select your rifle weight. The BTB site allows all that.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?