Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping bags

Default sleeping bags

who makes a -25 to-30 below bags? i have some friends that in the iron dog in need of the required sleeping bags. any shops in squarebanks sell these? also the must be really compressable cause they don't have alot of space to play with. thanks for the help

Wiggys-Alaska! has them, go talk to Marc. I know he sells them to some of the mushers that run the Iditarod and a few other races.

Quote Originally Posted by pudge View Post
    who makes a -25 to-30 below bags? i have some friends that in the iron dog in need of the required sleeping bags. any shops in squarebanks sell these? also the must be really compressable cause they don't have alot of space to play with. thanks for the help

Big Rays, Beavers, SW, Frontier Outfitters and Mountain Sports all have a good selection of down bags.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Here's an easy place to start.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...144&hasJS=true

You can spend more for a state-of-the-art mountaineering bag, but dogger's need a survival bag, and this one fits the bill. To me, any -40 bag is a survival bag. I'm not planning to carry it and I'm not going camping in that temperature!

Default Wiggy's ???

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Wiggys-Alaska! has them, go talk to Marc. I know he sells them to some of the mushers that run the Iditarod and a few other races.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as Pudge...not to the extreme, but looking for a bag adequate to handle the low temps while mushing. My original thought was to go with Wiggy's, however, they are HUGE, even when rolled up. I had someone tell me that they have a hard time fitting their's (I think -40 or -60 bag) in a 5 gallon bucket! That's a lot of space on an sled!

Thoughts?

Default Down

There's no question in my mind a bag in that temp range especially when packed size is an issue, the answer would be down. There's another thread covering pretty much the same thing, and I have to say I agree with Mr. Pid. ( I think that's the first time I have :-))
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I don't own any of those -30 -40 bags so I can't really say as to the actual rolled up size. My best advice is to call Marc and talk with him. I don't know if there is any such thing as a lightweight -30 sleeping bag, you don't really want to compromise when your talking about those extreme temps.

what is the number for wiggys in anchorage???

336-1330 Let us know how it goes.

Charterboat Operator

Default Down

We did a lot of shopping and experimenting before we ran the dog in 04'
    ended up with the Cabellas down "expedition" bag @-40. it took about 3 hours to get these bags into a medium compression stuff sack, at least it felt that long,. No way you are going to get a Wiggys that small.
    our bags, tucked into a mountain hardware bivy sack, and in a compression bag was right at 6 pounds.
    one heck of an expense for a bag that will hopefully never get used.

just a thought: might have your buddy get ahold of me, possibly could sell - rent - loan them a couple of bags for the race??

Default true

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    ...I don't know if there is any such thing as a lightweight -30 sleeping bag, you don't really want to compromise when your talking about those extreme temps.
    I think you are right about this! I'm still exploring my options though.

Pole Bender just said it. A -40 down bag from Cabela's INSIDE a Mountain Harware GoreTex bivy bag compressed INSIDE a nylon compression bag....6#. And about the size of a loaf of bread. And not a jumbo loaf, either!

Let us know what you come up with and how it works.

i have a -20 sleeping bag from REI and it compresses good, but iron dog has changed the rules a bit and they are weighing bags this year. in the past you could use a -20 and a bag liner that would add 10 degrees to your -20 bag plus a bivy that is the system i used for a few years, but now the bags have to be rated -30 or does not pass inspection.

Whatever you do dont look at this bag which they have at Beaver Sports in Fairbanks

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&ca t=Dryloft%20Expedition%20Series&viewpost=2&Content Id=52

I simply cant imagine a bag that makes you go Oooh Myyy Goddd that beats this one! Cheap too.....grin

i have personally spoken with wiggy when i started to race a few years back and i asked about size and he told the size of 1st base and about 9 pounds and that was vacuum sealed. towards the end of the call wiggy started to get smart with me on the phone and ended hangin up on me .in most iron dog cases that is too big and heavy. the system i spoke of earlier weighed about 5 1/2 lbs and it compressed smaller than a loaf of bread.
    what is wrong with the western mountaineering bag? how much is it?

Sometimes he's his own worst enemy.

Default WM bag

...what is wrong with the western mountaineering bag? how much is it?
    I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the bag...it's my bank account is where the problem is Only 7 or 8 bones if you look to buy one new

the way i look at it is i am going to have sell my -20 to come with what iron dog wants for next year. everything that is said here will help me also later on when i start getting my gear ready. i thought my bag was too much, 7 or 8 hundred for the western mountaineering mine was $340 and that was on sale in 04'. you can't a price on doing something that you enjoy!!! racing the iron dog priceless for everything else let your wife take care of.

Thumbs up Try these on for size...

You might have a look at Feathered Friends. I haven't read their profile, but if memory serves, they are hand made in Seattle... Actually I just looked and they have a whole line now, but the lady still makes custom bags. I've got a musher friend who had one made by this lady...awesome bag! It's lightweight and compresses nicely.

This one should keep you warm! http://featheredfriends.com/ProductD...me=Snowy%20Owl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast