Thread: Rhino tire recommendation

Default Rhino tire recommendation

Got a stock 2007 Rhino 660 that I am looking to upgrade tires on. I am looking for a good recommendation on tires and the size that works well for the local area. I will be running a tri-fire CDI. I am looking at 26" Mudlights, but wanted to get some opinions from someone who has been out. Still got the new rhino smell at this point.

I wouldn't go any taller than a 26" tire. The advantage of the taller lugs compared to 25's while still retaining most of the power from the big bore thumper is my main reason for sticking with 26 inch tires. There were 28" outlaws on my machine but took them off. The loss in power from both the higher gear ratio and aggressive mud terrain tread wasn't worth the hassle in all terrain conditions.

I bet you'd be happy with any all terain 26" tire, any upgrade is better than the stock tires. I went with the XTR's which have proven to be a good all around tire for my rhino. The radial design is very tough, which is why I leaned towards them for the heavy rhino. I'm very partial to mudbugs though. With my Brute I put almost 3000 very rough miles on these tires and they shown very little wear. They did lack the ability to crawl out of steep mud holes, where the zillas I had shined in that scenario, but they excelled in all other situations, IMO.

It's tough to make a list from 1-10 but here's a few I think are at the top of the all terrain game. bugs, HL MST's/Swampwitches, XTR's, Vamps, 589's, and I am also fond of the swamplites style thread. I really don't care for mudlites, but they are still a great upgrade from stock tires.

I agree with Water_Gremlin. Don't go bigger than a 26" tire for the Rhino. The added clearance is not worth the hassle and power loss. I have the 26" ITP Terracross tires with 14" ITP Series 7 rims. If I had it to do over again, I would go with a 12" rim versus the 14". The 14" looks better but the shorter sidewall puts the rim/tire edge closer to the ground and makes the bead more at risk to rocks and sticks. I like the Terracross tires and they have done everything I have asked them to do. The only issue I have with them is they seem to wear down pretty fast. Being a radial tire, they provide a smooth ride. The tread design makes them good for any sort of condition. The Mudlite XLs and XTRs don't like the sand. Performance is poor here. The Terracross tires will go anywhere. That being said, I will probably replace them with the Maxxis Bighorns. Same tread design but a harder rubber compound (so the should last longer). After I bought my Rhino I did have an issue of my tires loosing air. That issue is now gone. The fix was going with a wider tire up front (9" vs 8") and sliming the tires all the way around. Additionally, the Rhino requires more air per tire than your average ATV. I am running 10lbs on the front and 13-14lbs in the rear. Check your owners manual...I was surprised also.

Short recap:
    1. Go with 25" - 26" tires.
    2. Go with a radial tire.
    3. Go with a 9" - 10" tire in the front and 11" - 12" in the rear.
    4. Go with higher air pressure than a normal ATV.
    5. Go with a 12" rim.
    6. Go with a tire that has a harder rubber compound.
    7. Think about sliming your tires if you experience air loss.

Additionally, look at wheel spacers for the rear if you want more stability. They are not required in the front and may adversely affect steering. Running aftermarket offset rims will help stability as well.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Hmmmmm, aren't XTR's Mudlites??

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Hmmmmm, aren't XTR's Mudlites??
    Ya, that is why I said "Mudlite XLs and XTRs" in my original post...they are both Mudlites made by ITP. The Mudlite XL is the non-radial tire and the XTR is the radial tire version.

http://www.itptires.com/
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Got a stock 2007 Rhino 660 that I am looking to upgrade tires on. I am looking for a good recommendation on tires and the size that works well for the local area. I will be running a tri-fire CDI. I am looking at 26" Mudlights, but wanted to get some opinions from someone who has been out. Still got the new rhino smell at this point.
    Here is a couple of pictures of the Maxxis Bighorns compared to the stock tires on a Grizzly 700 (the same tires that come stock on the Rhino).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

I was actually posting that for Water_Gremlin, but yeah, I know all about the Mudlites, I have the XL's on my Foreman.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Here is a couple of pictures of the Maxxis Bighorns compared to the stock tires on a Grizzly 700 (the same tires that come stock on the Rhino).
    Here is a picture of the 26" Terracross tires on my Rhino...

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Man, I bet those would look good onmy truck. They look like truck tires. Those things are HUGE
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Sounds like either XTR's or bighorns. I am planning on doing the Chicken caribou hunt next year. What tires work best for that type riding out these two. Also where is the best place to pick up some tires in the Anchorage area?

Sorry I should have been more specific. I've always referred to the original mudlites as just mudlites, and the mudlite XTR's as just XTR's.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Sounds like either XTR's or bighorns. I am planning on doing the Chicken caribou hunt next year. What tires work best for that type riding out these two. Also where is the best place to pick up some tires in the Anchorage area?
    I think the XTRs are easier to get around here. Don't really see anyone running the Bighorns when I am out on the trails. Then again, I don't see many people running the Terracross tires either.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660