Thread: slug characteristics ???

Default slug characteristics ???

I am in the process of purchasing a shotgun that I wish to shoot slugs out of occasionally. I have quite a bit of experience with rifles,handguns, military type stuff, but really no experience in shot guns at all other than the basic stuff they teach you in class. My question pertains to the following:
    a) how accurate can a slug be without a rifled barrell at 25 yards?
    b) do you shoot a slug out of an improved cylider, or what?
    c) any recomendations on 3" slugs that may improve what I am guessing is marginal accuracy anyway.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the dumb questions, but I guess you have to learn somehow.

Default Slugs

At 25 yards you should be able to punch 1" groups all day long.

The type of slug can determine the type of barrel. Old Foster type slugs can be shot out of any choke, "although" improved cyl. or open are better.

With saboted slugs and hardened slugs (Dixie), only open or imp. cylinder shoud be used. Some saboted slugs shoot better in a rifled barrel. If you have an interchangeable choke system, you can purchase a rifled choke and don't need a fully rifled barrel.

Your best bet is to buy a five round box of several brands and see which one groups better out of your shotgun. Read the box for the recommended choke by the manufacture. At 25 yards, you are not asking much in the way of accuracy. I have one shotgun that will group 4" at 115 yards. 2" at 75 yards is fairly common with the same gun.

Anything else?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Hang onto your hat with the 3" slugs. They speak with lots of authority compared with what you might know from shooting 3" duck loads, especially when shot horizontally or at targets below eye level. Yeeeeeehaaaaa!! It can be done and done effectively, but buy lots of them and practice.

My slug gun is a Ithaca 37 12 gauge. When I picked this gun up it had one of those polly chokes on it, the one that looks like a dog turd hanging on the end of the barrel. I simply took a pipe cutter and wacked it off. I drilled and tapped the receiver and stuck on a Redfield 1 3/4 x 5 power scope. After a little playing around and one sore shoulder later I settled on the cheap Winchester 2 3/4" 1 oz slugs. This gun with these slugs shoots around 3" @100 yds. However it won't hit a fat cow in the butt with nost anything else.

I would try the Winchesters first. In my experience they seem like they're made for the smoothbores with little or no choke!

Wow, that is much better than what I had thought. Thanks for the input.

Growing up in Ohio shotguns with slugs were the rule. Like anything else we shoot it depended on the gun and the ammo. Most of my experience is with 870s and mossberg 500s with iron sights and choked improved cyclinder with foster style slugs. At 25yds I would expect clover leafs. Of course things have improved with rifled barrels and sabot slugs. I would guess that about 3 to 4 inche groups at 100yds were the average. I know it was deadly on whitetails to about 100yds. Anything beyond that good luck.....

[quote=maxracer] c) any recomendations on 3" slugs that may improve what I am guessing is marginal accuracy anyway.

3" mag slugs offer no inherient accuracy improvements in my experience. I have actually have seen the opposite. However, slug guns are just as finicky as rifles.

Default What are you shooting at?

If you're looking at 3" slugs for complete target destruction (like bear protection), then you'll want to be using Brenneke slugs (ensure the gun is a "magnum" capable).

If you're looking for accuracy against typical large game (deer, etc.), then you'll want rifling (or at least rifled choke) with sabot slugs.

The typical foster slug is still used in LE and self-defense applications and works fine out of pretty much any gun with acceptable accuracy against a human sized target within defensive ranges and even on out to 50 yds+. Plus they are the cheapest slug, so you can afford to practice with them more often.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Unless you are going to be shooting past 100 yds, I wouldn't even consider using sabot slugs. I have seen almost all bad stuff happen with them. Read several lost deer. I have had good luck with federal classics, or how I think they are called HI-SHOK. Just the cheap federals. I have used the winchester, and couldn't get quite the accuracy with my particular gun. A former friend of mine gets about 3" at 100 with brennekes from an 870. With the ballistics the way they are, I would plan on ANY slug much past that. They are either starting to arc A LOT or are too small to get the job done at the speed they are going (sabots) Nothing quite like the 1" entry and 1.5" exit with hair, bone, blood and whatever else got in the way blown through the inside. They are messy, especially the Brenekkes. That is the reason I don't use them anymore. They were way to devastating on whitetail. Just ripped everything to shreds. Switched to Federals and the damage is still bordering on severe, but not as bad and still get plenty of accuracy.

PS for me plenty accurate means an 8" paper plate at 75yds. I won't be shooting much past that anyway, so if I can put a slug (NOT A SABOT) in a paper plate centered over the boiler room, that deer is dead.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

My only intention of shooting slugs would be for protection against bear. I am also looking at either the 870 or 500 Moss. and am assuming from the thread that the Brennekes would be a good choice. I can easily live with the accuracy you are stating.

My first gun was a 500 mossberg and I (in my foolish youth) just HAD to use the 3" slugs. I shot the standard remington brand 1 oz. rifled slug and could put them in the center of a paper plate from one end of my yard to the other which was about 80 yards. My mossberg has two beads on the barrel for sighting and that's it. I had a modified accu-steel choke tube in it. As for damage I shot one deer with it and it did not blow it to pieces. I hit a bit low and split it's heart in half. It ran about 20 yards before expiring.

As for recoil I have never pulled the trigger on any of the 30 cal or higher magnums but have shot the 3" magnum slugs and my 7MM Rem Mag and think that both of them are very managable. Just use correct technique and its all gravy.

Also, the 7MM does a LOT more damage to a deer than a slug from what I have seen.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Don't use sabot slugs. I grew up hunting with a mossberg 500 and foster slugs. They are great in dense brushy country where your target will always be under 75 yards. Your response time is the fastest on target with open sights and never use more than a 4 power scope. Sabot slugs do give you an extended range but it is at a cost. They cary significantly less punch than a 30.06 with a 180 grain round at that range. If you are hunting in areas open enough to need saboted rounds then you are in an area that a rifle would provide more power and accuracy.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Slugs

Do some serious research on slugs for "Dangerous Game"...I suggest you look at the "Dixie slugs", they are hard cast and they are brutal, Brenneke is good stuff but it's not hard enough for "Dangerous Game", in my opinion.

A Brenneke slug will punch a perfect .69" hole completely through level III Kevlar... plenty good enough for "dangerous game". Shot placement is just as important, though.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Slugs

We ran test on the Federal Tactical slug, Brenneke Black Magic slugs, MK Ballistic Systems slugs and the Dixie Slugs, we used 3 slightly used Safariland Silver 6.0 Level II vest, concrete walls, different thicknesses of wood and made a mess of some old vehicles. The Dixie slug was our choice in the end. We are just one Law Enforcement agency doing our own in house test, and we are allowed to purchase the rounds of our choice. The information on the web site was what led us to them, and the results of the test sold me. Still my choice for Dangerous Game.

BG

Default Here

Here is a Dixie, Brenneke and a Foster.

You can't scratch the 600 grain Dixie with a fingernail.
    The Brenneke you can barely scratch.
    The Foster can be loaded sideways in the case if you so incline. I know, I have one from the factory loaded that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by FLtoAK05 View Post
    Do some serious research on slugs for "Dangerous Game"...I suggest you look at the "Dixie slugs", they are hard cast and they are brutal, Brenneke is good stuff but it's not hard enough for "Dangerous Game", in my opinion.
    I've DLP whacked two bears using original Brennekes. I've had pass-thoughs on both. They're fine for dangerous game.
    Now what ?

Where do you get the Dixies from? I found their website, but it appeared to be under construction. I plan to try both of them out as they both appear to have good qualities. I figure which ever one shoots best out of my gun is the one I will use.

In no way is this a poor question. I have found that I must pay attention to details in slug shooting. You must have quality sights (Iron or scope) and when testing hold the gun firm with both hands the same way you would fire at game and sitting at the bench fire with care not to let the gun touch anything on the bench. If you lay the gun on the bench to shoot or even a padded surface, I have found that it will throw slugs off in all directions from jumping when you pull the trigger. Also I have cut the BBL on field guns and squared the cut and they will shoot just as good as the plain slug bbl's with good sights. I shot Rem. forester slugs a few years and now go with the brennekes, I have had great results with both. So I would say (Treat your slug gun like a fine rifle and you will be shooting under 4" at 100yds. I skip the salbots because they are expensive and are not any use to me.