Thread: Spring Kodiak footwear

Default Spring Kodiak footwear

Planning a spring Kodiak bear hunt at the end of April for 2 weeks. I need input on what boots and footwear to bring.I have hunted fall goats on Kodiak and were very happy with my Meindels. We will be riding a Zodiac in the bay to the drop point each day,climbing up, then sitting and glassing. Hip waders or chest waders? Leather boots or rubber knee highs? Do we need pac boots? Planning on small snow-shoes but do we need crampons. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks

I went last spring and used hip waders. I used the Cabela's Bog Busters. They worked great. The boats have an ankle-fit strap. I did some major hiking on the beach and the alpine peaks. Just my 10 cents worth.
    Chuck

Hip boots. They'll really ease work out of the zodiak, while letting you get ashore in some places that would be tough to manage in boots. They're also great for keeping the legs dry in tall grass, as well as the feet in all the bogs you'll find in the lowlands. The only penalty is limited foot and ankle support. If you need it, you might well be served by some of those "pull over" hippers intended for creek crossings without removing your hiking boots. Haven't tried them because they always looked like a PITA to me, useful as they might be when you really need them.

Default Kodiak Footwear

Katfish,

That depends on where you are hunting and what your baggage situation is. Hip boots would be nice for in and out of the Zodiak. I have them and I also have the over the hiking boots type waders. When I go back to where I went last spring, I will take the over the boots type waders and I am about as far from PITA as you can get. My area didn't require waders for anything other than in and out of the boat and they take up to much room for that. It was snow and froze up high where I went and crampons would have been a very nice addition.

Randy

Default Waders

Did I say Waders? Waders and more Waders. You might bring regualr hiking boots, if you want to carry them to higher ground and change. heere is what I used:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...eman&noImage=0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...616&hasJS=true

Found them to be great and the boots give more support than most.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Did I say Waders? Waders and more Waders. You might bring regualr hiking boots, if you want to carry them to higher ground and change. heere is what I used:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...616&hasJS=true

Found them to be great and the boots give more support than most.
    I agree whole heartedly. I've done 2 spring bear hunts on Kodiak and found that my Simms breathables with the above mentioned boots were an excellent combination in the bottoms and around the beaches. They even work well for short periods in my snowshoes. The boots had just the right amount of ankle support for packing out a heavily loaded pack .

Thanks for the input guys. My list is getting smaller by the day.

Default Kodiak

Spent too much time out there before making it to the Interior . Lacrosse hip boats , no ankle fits ( too tough to get off ) , rolled over Xtra Toughs for the rest of the time .