Thread: More power for the bush bomber...

Default More power for the bush bomber...

My Yamaha Bravo is an unbelievable machine. It has never broken down or failed to start when I needed it on a cold morning. But, It's down on power lately. I'm wondering if anyone had done some tuning and would like to let me in on there secrets!

Or if anyone has seen any power mods people have found for these things. Thanks!

First off, welcome to the forum!

When was the last time you disassembled the clutches and cleaned them? A lot of power is robbed by belt dust gumming things up. Also, check for wear on your drive belt. If the belt is worn, it won't backshift completely so it will feel like you are losing low end power. If it is an engine problem, a compression check will answer a lot of questions.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Add carb cleaning to that list and you will be well on your way

Default Compression

Check out your compression. Those old Bravos go forever, but that one lung works hard. If you ever started it with ether (they get frozen chokes easily), then you started it without oil on the cylinder walls.

Carbs been cleaned, three times in fact. Because I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't idle. Got that fixed, so now, I'll go about figuring out the clutches. Thanks!

Hone it and install a new piston and ring. Topping a one-lunger 2 stroke usually makes a big difference.