Thread: Fuel Injection Vs Carburator

Default Fuel Injection Vs Carburator

I thank everyone for their input on the last two topics and I have one more question.

What do you all thing of fuel injection versus a carburator on ATVs.

I have heard that the fuel injection is better for starting in cold weather.

But are there other benefits or drawbacks associated With either system.

I have never had any problem with my carburated Honda`s starting in cold weather if you use the primer button. You do have a noticeable loss of power however at 3500 feet above sea level and higher. My fuel injected Yamaha Griz gives me full HP at any elevation. Have not put enough miles on it to coment on the dependability.

Eagle River

The carbs are a little cold blooded but not bad, mine always starts but I gotta choke her for awhile and let her warm up where as my buddy with the 700 Griz is ready no matter what the temp. carbs may need to be re-jetted for best performance at high altitudes.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

This is an easy one……….

Carbs are simple, reliable and for the most part, trouble free. They also happen to be less expensive compared to fuel injection. The potential down side to carbs are harder starting, and the need for a choke or primer in cold weather. They tend to be installed on low to mid powered machines, and can become gummed up or clogged with extended periods of down time if you leave fuel in the bowls. Depending on the altitude you ride, they may have to be re-jetted for optimum performance.

Fuel injection has been around for decades albeit is a rather new thing in the ATV world. It tends to be more expensive than carburetors and far less user friendly for hands on maintenance or tinkering. The good news is that maintenance and tinkering is not really required as these are fairly rugged units. They offer superior cold weather capabilities and automatically compensate for changes in altitude. Now the bad news. The one major drawback to fuel injection is that it requires three significant pieces of electronic hardware, and simply will not run without any one of them. 1 the battery, 2 the module or “brain box”, and 3 the fuel pump. Take any one of those away, and you will be walking! If the battery voltage drops to a point that it will no longer run the fuel pump sufficiently to charge the rail, you are done, and no amount of pulling on the starter rope or pushing the ATV will get it going period. This can be a little disturbing if you plan on heading out to the middle of nowhere all alone. And is the very reason I bring along an extra battery for my King Quad 700.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio