Thread: Call in a Blackie?

Default Call in a Blackie?

I know its a little early but I was wondering in anyone has ever called in a Black Bear with a predator call? I was thinking about using a fox pro and sitting in a treestand. Has anyone tried calling in a spring bear this way?

I called in a Grizzly last year. Sow, with two cubs. I was using a Black Bear Sow in heat call. Glad I was up a big tree, out of her reach.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Bear Calling

Bears require constant calling, but are a callable animal. Works best when you spot them first. Use a sow in heat during spring, and varmit call in fall. Bear stomach's are not quite ready for a meat diet in early spring, so they typically tend to stay in grassy areas. Like Graybeard, it can be safer to call from an elevated platform if you are calling in an area with a known brown/grizzly population. The brown/grizzly are significantly more agressive when approaching a possible food source.

From what I've been told by old timers, and from biologist, also from personal experience, if a Grizzly is in the area they will come in if you use a Black Bear call. I have a couple of Black Bear calls. They come with a warning to not use if there is a chance of a Grizzly being in the area. And I was not making constant calls when the Grizzly came in on me. I had given one short series of a Sow In Heat call. Within five minutes a Sow Grizzly came tearing into the clearing, heading straight for the tree I was in. In her rush she made quite a bit of headway coming up the tree. She almost reached the limb I was on. She did reach the tree stand I had been in just a minute before. She came into that clearing ready to kill something. Glad I was out of her reach.

So in other words be fore warned, if you use a Black Bear call, be ready, and I recommend a partner by all means.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Bear Calling

I agree with Graybeard on the partner deal. However, if you do not have a partner or prefer to hunt solo keep your head on a swivel when calling.

I bought a couple of calling videos and they all used a varmint call in the fall for bear, and it seemed to work well for them. I usually call once spotting a bear, but that has not guaranteed being able to call the bear in for a shot. Some bears just seemed to get annoyed with varmint distress call.

There are a good number of products on the market for bear calling. I use the Woods Wise Bear Caller for spring bear. This utilizes a double read which allows me to vocalize a sow in heat or a boar depending on the direction of air flow. The product comes with an instructional CD on how to utilize this double read calling device. Something like this is probably your best bet for spring bear. Since sows are in heat in the spring the sow in heat call can really be a big advantage when calling to boar. However, if you will be hunting over bait the boar call my work good. When you have had a bear visiting the bait site the boar call gives the impression that another bear is on the bait, which stimulates the visiting bear's basic instinct to protect its food source. This could be especially useful in drawing out a bear that has been feeding on your bait in the night time.

Default Calf call

A calf call should work. A rabbit in distress or a fawn depending on the area. They will either come in or sometimes, leave. It is a great way to bow hunt bears by calling them in. You can always put your back to a cliff, water or something where the bears won't come around you. But then in that one case where you might have to make a hastly retreat, it won't be fun. Bears snapping teeth is a neat sound you won't forget.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default I had a friend

that was using a rabbit in distress call a few falls ago. He was in the middle of a river gravel bar and had been calling every 20 minutes or so. finally he was taking a snooze, when he woke to a thundering noise, that sounded like a herd of horses coming in on him, as he turned to face this, it actually was a Sow with 3 pretty grown cubs, running down on him. He was sitting down and quickly swung around and fired at the lead bear from his hip! This bear dropped with one shot at 8 yards from him, the others skided and broke away. Very luck situation. Fortunatly the bear he hit was the sow and the younger ones scattered. DLP bear, but could have been the end of him. Like some one else stated. Be sure you have a swivel on your head!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Head Swivel

I will be doing it with a partner sometimes, but I will always be away from the call (electronic), and Ill be in a tree. Hopefully I won't be napping unless Im tied in. I really have no interest in a Brown, but it sounds like it could happen. I think it sounds pretty fun. Thanks for the ideas.

Default calling blacks

Two years ago, I had a big sow and two cubs come in on me while calling for elk in Wyoming. They sounded like a train coming through the timber. Sow was thirty yards and the cubs twenty. Had some luck with dieing jackrabbit and cottontail after that. Never did arrow one though. Wyoming has a mortality rate on the bears. Two sows die in the area and all bear hunting is shutdown. I am sure that calling will work for us here in AK.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Live2HuntAK View Post
    I agree with Graybeard on the partner deal. However, if you do not have a partner or prefer to hunt solo keep your head on a swivel when calling......
    I prefer to be in a tree. High up, too.

It's the brown bear sows with cubs that worry me. I don't want to have to shoot one (or more) in DLP, go through all the work of skinning them just to surrender the hide(s), get investigated, get in the newspaper, then have some "ethical hunter" petition the Board to prohibit calling to avoid such events.

Default I agree

Avoiding having to kill in self defense is important. I would be targeting Black bear so If by chance I ran into a brown sow and cubs I would try to wait them out and resort to bear spray before I put them down. Where Im planning on calling I have spent quite a lot of time in the spring and I have not seen a lot of Brown bear sign. I know that doesn't mean there aren't any around but I would try to avoid browns as much as possible. Just something new to try.

Graybeard, where did you get the sow in heat call. What does the call sound like?

Thanks

Default Sow in Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post
    Graybeard, where did you get the sow in heat call. What does the call sound like?

Thanks
    I know your question was directed towards Graybeard, but Cabela's or the internet. I have a Woods Wise dual reed that allows both sow in heat and boar vocalizations.

I got my Black Bear calls at Sportsman's Warehouse. Woods Wise is the brand, comes with a CD for instruction. I also use squelling rabbit calls Johnny Stewart brand is my favorites.

Default ravens

called in a small black with a "feeding ravens call"...also called in a huge flock of ravens
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I called in a Grizzly last year. Sow, with two cubs. I was using a Black Bear Sow in heat call. Glad I was up a big tree, out of her reach.
    This can't be stressed enough. Use a tree stand if you're calling blind (IOW, if you're not calling in a bear you've already seen).

Called in two seperate bears this year. One about 200 lbs came out of a small swamp looking for the snowshoe hare that was screaming "come eat me". The other was a little bigger and answered to a porcupine distress call along a powerline. The sounds came from a Wildlife Technologies caller and neither of them were heard coming in. The first appeared roughly 20 yds. away in some very thick cover. The other came in behind me and I wasn't aware of him until I saw him walking past me at less than 40 ft. Truly amazing how such a large animal can be so stealthy. Good luck.