Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRE's

Default MRE's

I posted this in the swap and sell section too. Does anyone know of a source of MRE's in the Wasill/Anchorage area? Thanks!

Default Maybe a lead...

I am not sure who you could talk to, but if you can find someone on base they have access to them. My bro-in-law is in the Air Force and he had a large case of them which were donated to my hunting trip last year. He is no longer in the state, but I could see if he has any info.

Default MRE

If you specifically want MREs, I can't help you (some people use the term MRE for dehydrated foods in general) But if you are just looking for high quality dehydrated foods, I can suggest Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry. I use the Mtn House Pro Paks for lunch on float trips and they are great tasting and easy to make. Just add boiling water to the bag and let it sit for about 8 minutes. Eat, lick spoon, and burn bag in fire. Dishes done! Chilli-mac, lasagna, beef stew and beef strogonaf are our favorites. We buy from www.campmor.com .

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think I ordered some online once from www.actiongear.com. I'm sure there are lots of other web vendors that also sell them, but I don't know what the best prices are.

Default MRE's

Check out the Army/Navy stores most of them should have them on hand.

Default Army store

Isn't there a small Army store in the strip mall in Wasilla across from the fly tying shop. I think there is also an outdoor gear store in the same mall. I know I bought some there 4-5 years ago.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default army navy

I don't know of any such stores out here in the valley. Last fall I stocked up from the army navy in anchorage at like 70 dollars a case. Outdoors and more went out of business. Check Sportsmans Warehouse@ 864-8000
    Last edited by ironartist; 02-08-2008 at 09:25. Reason: added info
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thumbs up YEP...

Found a store on Ebay (MRE Depot) that sells anything you could want. Canned butter and cheese was interesting to me. Lots of stuff here.

http://stores.ebay.com/MREdepot
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile

Thanks for the help!!

Default MRE's and MRE's

There's two versions out there these days. The real military type that will just about keep you going all day on one meal you'll have to get on base. The ones they sell in the Army/Navy stores these days are usually ones that are surplus from FEMA that are given out to civilians after disaters. You'll also find that the FEMA type are targeted for geographical/demographical regions. I bought a couple of cases from the Army/Navy store in downtown Achorage a few years ago thinking I was getting "military type" MRE's. They turned out to be the FEMA kind and were almost all some type of beans and rice variety. Think Hurricane Katrina. They're not bad, they just don't have the oomph that the military type does.
    Just a heads up, There's MRE's and then there's MRE's.

Default Winter MREs?

Anyone know where (or even if?) you can buy the freeze-dried, military-style winter type MREs? They come in white packaging as opposed to the usual MRE brown.
    These seem like they would be even better than a regular MRE and I'm told they're supposed to taste better. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon I just bought a case for $50 at the Palmer gun show at the beginning of March. I didn't know they were the artic ones until I opened them. I havent tried them as of yet but will in 10 days as I'm going to Kodiac for brown bear. I'll let you know.

Awesome! Thanks and please do let me know!

I just found a place today that sells them for $50 a case. Going to head over there sometime soon and see if they're really the military kind and not the FEMA ones.

Jon

Default Elmendorf

The Elmendorf Commissary sells the military MREs by the case for around $80 a case. I haven't seen the cold weather MREs anywhere for sale. $50 a case is cheap, check the inspection date and make sure the service dot is on the box before you buy any so cheap. Every case comes from the packer with an orange dot that changes to balck when the MREs have exceeded their consumability life. I have a couple of cases that I'll let go for $50, they are still good, but will expire next year.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Anyone know where (or even if?) you can buy the freeze-dried, military-style winter type MREs? They come in white packaging as opposed to the usual MRE brown.
    These seem like they would be even better than a regular MRE and I'm told they're supposed to taste better. Anyone have any experience with them?
    MRE = Meal Read to Eat...as in no prep needed, it helps to warm then up, but not necessary. BTW, there lots of ways to heat them. We put them on a heating furnce once when we had no other access to fire or stove etc. Laying them inside a windshield in the sun works too.

Freezed dried meals aren't MRE's. I've never heard of freeze dried military meals, but that doesn't mean they don't exist...and I've been out of the military for 8 yrs.

I always liked the BBQ Pork and thought the Ham ones were nasty.

Bon Appitite

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by grousehunter View Post
    I posted this in the swap and sell section too. Does anyone know of a source of MRE's in the Wasill/Anchorage area? Thanks!
    I've bought MRE's from this place for years:

http://www.longlifefood.com/

It's cheap, and best of all, you can buy the main portions without all the garbage that's in the military packaged "cases" that are sold for so much money.

For example, look here at their menu of meat entrees. $3 each, or a case of 24 for $65 ($2.70 each).

No "pound cake", no plastic flatware, no napkin, no other BS.

Want the dessert? They have another page just for that. Cost? $2 each.

Default Just found this...

I just ran across this listing on Craigslist for MREs. Here is the link:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/653737561.html

Default MRE info.

Everything you could want to know about MRE's and other operational rations from around the world including taste tests, menus, nutritional info, etc. Fun site.
    www.mreinfo.com

Personally, I'm pretty much done with them. I had my share of the Four Fingers of Death from '84-'90. I hear the newer versions are much improved.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Default Back from the hunt.

The winter MRE's are good but they have a freeze dried main course. I use MRE's for my lunch while out hunting and had a big suprise the first day upon opening the packet. The freeze dried stuff is better than Mountain house's in my opinion. If you are watching the salt intake stay away from them. I had one, (I believe it was beef stew), that had 115% of your recommended daily salt intake. That was just the main course, I didn't add it all up.

The white ones, which do have freeze dried products in them are called "Ration, Cold Weather". They have a lot more calories than the standard MRE. They have been around for some time but usually you do not see them much as they take more preparation than the normal MRE and cost more. If you like the sawdust bar there is often two of them in the Cold Weather Ration, drink a gallon of water after two bars and there is a small hay bale size of food in your stomach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast