Thread: Home made dog foods and vet info wanted...

Default Home made dog foods and vet info wanted...

Hi all...wasn't sure where to post this, new to this forum, but I'm just jumping in. We are moving to Prince of Wales Island this year and bringing our four (maybe more) Newfoundland dogs. One is old, the others are young and active. My male, Toby, is huge and strong and loves pulling my firewood by sled, something I want to pursue further with hauling and skijoring (my husband snorts at that idea, visualizing Toby going one way and me bouncing along in another), possibly sled pulling. I am very interested in learning what to feed the dogs in lieu of commercial dog kibbles. I currently feed a good kibble mixed with cooked meat (fish, beef, chicken or whatever), potatoes, rice, oatmeal or some other grain, and veggies with cooking water from our own meal. I know about raw feeding but worry about salmonella or salmon poisoning from flukes. Willing to learn more though. I also would love to know what anyone living far from vet care does in the way of preparation for illness, vaccines, etc. Wonderful forum!
    Linda Holt

Default Private replies welcome

P.S. I realize that sometimes this food subject can be touchy so below is my e-mail address. Private replies are welcome.
    Linda
    onwhiskeycreek@clallambroadband.com

Lots of dogs up here live off of salmon. I have friends that live totally off the grid and off the road system. They have a working team and a fish wheel. The fish wheel and hunting supply all of them meat.

You can get the vet to come to you. There are vets that only make house calls. The more dogs you have, the more economical it is. PoW probably has a vet.

Sorry, hopefully someone can give you more info.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Thanks for that info. I did find out PoW does have a monthly visiting vet and one in Ketchikan. I do wish the island got more snow, but am excited just to get to Alaska. I reckon four Newfoundlands would be enough of a house call. I like that idea.

Just curious, where on POW will you be located?

kingfisherktn