Thread: Ketchikan Steelheads in April?

Default Ketchikan Steelheads in April?

Looking for a little help. Going to Ketchikan the middle of April to help out with the Southeast Schools Music Festival. Will have some down time, and would like to put some time in on steelheads. The info I can get my hands on says they should be showing up about then.

I am looking into getting a guide from the Hook Up flyfishing store, but would also like to get anyone's input who could help me out. I live in Salcha near Fairbanks, so the only time I have seen trout that big I was on the Kenai, and backtrolling with a guide. I have the equipment to flyfish for the steelies, so I am looking for places/info in that direction.

Any help would be appreciated; I can trade some decent info on Interior grayling or lake trout spots if you could use it.

ward creek is very good choice for steelhead in the spring. i fished it late april till june a couple years ago and just killed them. the best place that i found was a waterfall about half a mile upstream of the parking lot. i know that some people fish the inlet of the lake, but i never made it down there.

the hook up guide shop is a top notch outfitter, they should be able to put you on fish and hook you up with some good flies. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by thaxterj1 View Post
    Looking for a little help. Going to Ketchikan the middle of April to help out with the Southeast Schools Music Festival. Will have some down time, and would like to put some time in on steelheads. The info I can get my hands on says they should be showing up about then.

I am looking into getting a guide from the Hook Up flyfishing store, but would also like to get anyone's input who could help me out. I live in Salcha near Fairbanks, so the only time I have seen trout that big I was on the Kenai, and backtrolling with a guide. I have the equipment to flyfish for the steelies, so I am looking for places/info in that direction.

Any help would be appreciated; I can trade some decent info on Interior grayling or lake trout spots if you could use it.
    Sending you a PM.
    kingfisherktn

Just a bump up, but also an additional question:

I have 6 and 10 fly poles - which would be better for steelheads?

Should I go with the 10 and maybe a lighter leader? I am not an expert, but I am better than OK. I am going to bring both, but would hate to only get a couple hook ups and be over matched with the 6. One of my fishing buddies says 7-8 weight, but I have used up my toy allowance for the year (unless I aubsolutely have to get a new pole and reel.........!)

Anyone with experience with these fish, I would appreciate any input.

Tradbow-thanks for the info!!

Jim

Default Library hole

It's not a wilderness experience, but the hole behind the library in Ketchikan Creek produces fish every year. I think you can fish the Creek all the way to the ladder. grab a copy of the regs and a tide book.

Jim:

I fish either with my 6 or 9. Probably end up with the 6 most often.

kingfisherktnh

Default close to Ketchikan

You certainly do not need a Guide for Ketchikan Creek or Ward Lake and Creek. In fact there are no guide permits issued for those systems.

If you go guided it will either be on the road system over on the White River on Cape Fox land or a fly in trip to the Misty's.

A trip to POW Island is also a posibility if you have the time. There are 8 or 10 major Steelhead systems accessed from the road system.

The Steelhead will be there !!!!!

Default White River

Lucky, the individual who has permission to "cross the gate". That river has the largest Dollies I have ever seen. I worked back in there when Cape Fox logged.

Bring 2 rods, I would go heavy. It is best not to play the fish to long, and a stouter rod can help.

I fish a 7 wt. for steelies, or an 8wt on the situk where I need to turn the fish. 9 foot single hander is fine for pretty much all steelhead in AK
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

ther can be alot of rain in april and you may not get any fishing in. but your best bet will be to get a guide if you are straped for time it will be worth it and you will catch fish.he will set you up with a rod.

Jim,

NP, and good luck. I'm envious to say the least, sure wish I could go along, maybe as a civilian liason .

Anyways dont go giving out our grayling or more so our laker spots shoot! Took enough time and money to pay for a summers worth of guided trips

Don't worry-and I have some new spot up north and on the Chena to show you this year!

Jim:

You still interested?

Dean - sent a PM - still coming!

Dan - I woulld only give spots I found up north, not ones you hooked me up with!