Thread: Mechanics of terminal ballistics

Default Mechanics of terminal ballistics

In my quest for learning about "all things bullets and reloading" I came across this site. Lots of good reading here.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/b...s/methods.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, and thanks for the link.

But I'm struck by the irony in the first four words of a seven word title:

Empirical Methods of Estimating......"

I'll have to read it to see if he's an honest man, or if that's a freudian slip. I gotta admit that considering all that text and all those tables, things are looking pretty freudian!

This has been beaten to death over on www.accuratereloading.com due to the number of people heading to Africa, all things Africa and general cusedness. One fellow even took his .500 Nitro Express and shot cattle he was going to butcher to see if "they would be knocked off their feet"., due to an argument about this topic. I wouldn't be surprised were there over a hundred pages of material.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

If "empirical" means non-scientific, and "estimating" is the same as a SWAG or Scientific Wild Azz Guess, does the title mean that the article is a Non-Scientific Scientific Wild Azz Guess?

Wouldn't the two kinda cancel each other and make it a plain old WAG or Wild Azz Guess?

Doesn't mean he's wrong in what he feels, and it might even mean he's being honest. But a guess is still a guess.

uhoh.... did I open a can of worms here?!?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

[quote=BrownBear;202562] If "empirical" means non-scientific,.......

empirical-means observation or evidence based on experience or experiment

Naw.... I wuzz werkin on a crosswurd puzzul and trine to syfur weeerd deffunishuns, than schpell wurds rayte.

Just struck me as an odd title, what with an estimate being an empirical measure in the first place, so an empirical emprical measure must be really special.

What can I say? I spent most of the morning shoveling my driveway and a couple of neighbors' driveways, so I was a little nutz by the time I sat down at the kumpooter.

"empirical-means observation or evidence based on experience or experiment"

Tell that to the scientists when it comes time to weigh 40 years experience working in the field or on the water, compared to a week on the water making measurements and four years in college! They'll write your experience off as "empirical" and blow you out the door.