Thread: Moose Ribs

Default Moose Ribs

I've had luck with pressure cooking them and then pulling the meat off (so tender) and adding barbecue sauces to them and making sandwiches but I'm looking for more ideas since I find myself with a freezer full of most of two racks of moose ribs. I froze them whole then cut em into strips with a Sawzall and put em back in the freezer so they are largely ready to go....how else do you folks like to cook em. I'd like to find a way to keep em on the bone and cook em.

Also, I find packaging them to be a real bugger due to bones etc so how do you folks package them...so far, I've just let them alone in the freezer and it seems the fat lends them to lasting pretty well all on their own but always looking to improve my meat preservation.

Muchos on the grassass

Default Moose Ribs

Catchit: I consider myself knowledgeable on game ribs. (One of the few things I am expert on) I save the ribs on every animal I kill including sheep and caribou. I understand the difficulty packing them out for miles poking holes in everything. But I love ribs. I find few other people with this taste. Moose ribs are obviously the best due to having the most meat. Heres what I do: Cut as much fat off as you are comfortable without sacrificing the meat. Boil the ribs to remove more of the fat (an hour?) Then put them in a crockpot with one to two containers of commercial or homemade barbeque sauce on low when you leave for work and be ready to eat when you get home. Any sporting event is good, but Sunday or Monday night football is the best for ribs.

Packaging is the same as other meat. Just like you describe, cut in manageable strips with any saw, meat if fresh or band saw if frozen and put in your family sized packages wrapped in saran and freezer paper...or just freezer paper. Now I am hungry for some ribs....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Have you tried bbq'ing them?

This is how I cook pork ribs: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html
    I think it would work with moose ribs.
    I use less salt in my rub though. No boiling, which seems horrible to do to any meat.
    We also use no BBQ sauce. Even if I make it available no one who has tried them wants any.

Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    Have you tried bbq'ing them?

This is how I cook pork ribs: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html
    I think it would work with moose ribs.
    I use less salt in my rub though. No boiling, which seems horrible to do to any meat.
    We also use no BBQ sauce. Even if I make it available no one who has tried them wants any.

sam, I agree with the no boiling thing as well. Meat just doesn't taste right to me after boiling. No moose ribs right now, but that recipe makes me want to run out to the store and grab some for the game tomorrow. I do cook them similar to that, but use a homemade BBQ sauce brushed on in 1 hour intervals.....mmmmm. Slow cooking is the best, when the meat just wants to fall off the bone.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Default Ribs are easy

We leave all the meat and fat on the ribs and pack them out whole. Back at the house, we zip them up using a sawzall. To freeze them, wrap them a few times in butcher paper or saran wrap and use your food saver to vaccum seal them. The paper prevents the bones from poking through the vaccum bag.
    When cooking them, we boil them gently for 30-60 min's.
    Let them cool and dip into a pan of BBQ in order to smother them in sauce.
    Put on the top rack of the grill, on med-high heat for 20 min's or so. Just enough to carmalize the BBQ to the meat. This is one of our favorite pieces of meat.

As Sollybug stated, I to bring out the ribs whole on all critters. Nothing beats a good cooked real rib dinner! Here is how I do mine. I cut them into 8"-10" long ribs with 3 to 4 bones per hunk, vaccum seal and stick in the freezer. Cooking, season lightly (pepper, spike, garlic salt, italian seasoning) cook in the oven at 250* for about 2hrs, then start basting with my home made BBQ sauce and cook for another 2hrs. Have the BBQ ready and very hot, slap ribs on the bbqer for 3 minutes per side and you are done. Comes off the bone easy, meat is juicey and tender.

Kills me to see people deboning ribs in the field.

Well I just build a rack over the fire in the field apply a good dry rub, and open a beer(Repeat as needed) till the bone twists easily from the meat and enjoy! I also pack out the remaining ribs for the smoker at home, low indirect heat is the key too good ribs. Boning ribs for hamburger is a sin, a waist and just plain silly.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

For the guys that want to BBQ and put BBQ sauce on there ribs try using Budweiser Beechwood Sauce! Its GREAT!!!! Cant wait for tomorrow to come, my mouth is watering.

Default boiling can help with the bigger boy's

sometimes the boiling can help with the tougher meat,the wife like's to boil alot,saying that one might to lightly boil while enjoying the cold one or two and then on the bbq,adding the seasonings during the open flaming thus enjojoing more cold one's

Default boiling

Just to add, you probably wouldnt have to boil if you bake or barbeque. But if you do a crockpot and dont boil you can end up with several inches of fat in the crockpot which people dont like. Most ribs have a healthy amount of fat even after trimming and boiling first. Thats why its good to cook them twice. The crockpot makes even the toughest ribs tender after a day of simmering. Even caribou ribs.

I have to try the budweiser sauce. I know it tastes good in the can also...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear