Thread: dangerous passage

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default dangerous passage

wondering if anyone out there has experiance running through dangerous passage on the west side of danger island. looking at the charts it dosent look like too much a threat as far as rocks in the danger zone. does the area break if the weather kicks up? i seen the note on the eastern side as it should not be used due to the 64 earthquake and possible major uplifting. looking to fish and use the area this year as a passageway and would rather not go around ellrington or through montague straight if possible. horshoe bay or wilson bay looks like possible good choices for a place to anchor up for the night.

the west side of Danger Island is Latouche Passage and it's ok to go through. There is a lot of kelp in there at times, but nothing to worry about. Just follow your charts and everything should okay. The east side of Danger can be done too, but I've never done it and don't think I'm going to either.
    Boatless

as far as weather it just depends on which way it's coming in, no good in a north wind at all. Fishing in there can be ok if you catch the right tide( you'll have to figure that out yourself), but it gets fished pretty hard by some people and it's a sit and soak type area. good luck
    Boatless

A few recommendations before your trip:

Get a copy of "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound". It describes Horseshoe Bay. There is no mention of Wilson Bay as an anchorage, which likely means its not of much use since the book describes the worthwhile (i.e. safe) anchorages in PWS.

I don't know what size boat you're running, but it's worth considering that it's roughly a 70 nautical mile run one-way to Danger Island by a more or less direct route (as roughly plotted out in Google Earth). I always keep 1/3 of my 125 gallon tank in reserve so I have about 87 gallons to burn (or about 43 each way). I can safely pull off about a 180 mile round trip in calm to moderate seas and still have 1/3 in reserve. So, I could pull off the trip to Dangerous Island, but I had better not plan to do much in the way of side trips (let alone unplanned side trips that would eat too far into my 1/3 reserve). This may not be an issue if you're running a bigger boat with more fuel capacity.

Be safe!

Default thanks for the replies

i am familiar with the area and have been around there a couple times last year. one time i ran through montague straigt the the south side of knight to camp out and fish halibut the next day and i felt pretty exposed all the way through there. i am running a 21 foot northriver commander with an inboard jet so paying attention the the weather is of the upmost concern for me. the other time i was there fishing the south side of ellrington i came back around ellrington point and through the passage burning extra unecessary fuel than if i took latouche passage. this year i hope to consolidate my fishing grounds instead of fishing my lings in one area and catching my halibut 30 miles away. i have a pretty good range with a 70 gall belly tank and 60 up top can get me 250 plus miles round trip and still have 35 to 45 gallons left over when i get back to port. anyway looking to focus more on the south side of ellrington and parts of montague straight weather permitting and camping in horseshoe or maybe crab bay area, after looking at wilson on google earth it doesent look all that protected. glad to know though that latouche passage through the west side of danger could be a safe bet under the right conditions

on the north side of Elrington there is a little island and I can't remember the name, but I believe it's Fox Farm bay and it is a nice place to anchor. Another good place is Hog Bay north of Elrington where you can tuck away from most weather. good luck
    Boatless

been by fox farm bay and it seems as though it is usually crowded with commercial boys. last year we swung into hogg bay but we werent really able to find a beach to pitch a tent on where we were comfortable enough leaving the boat anchored. we motored right up to the river coming out then we were kinda suspicious of bear activity camping so close to the river. man i need a bigger boat, finding camping spots sometimes is a pain.