Thread: Wood boats

Default Wood boats

Since we have an aluminum boat thread, I thought I'd start a wood boat thread. I thought that I'd be done and launched this year, but I've been even shorter on time than funds, so at the soonest I'll be the water late this year, likely next year. Here's my Tolman widebody that's still a work in progress. 22 1/2' long, 7 1/2' beam and likely a suzuki 140 will hang on the transom.

Beautiful boat. I like the DIY projects. Please post progress pics as you can.

Consider how slow progress has been, don't hold your breath

I have made some progress since that pic was taken, the outside of the is almost entirely fiberglassed, and I've done interior cabinet work since them. My goal is at the least to have the exterior painting done before the end of the summer. That way I'll have the winter to do all the interior wiring, plumbing etc.

What's suprising about boats in this size range is how much you can tailor the layout to maximize the space.

Here is a website with lots of Tolman info and pics. Several of them in the progress of being built this year, as well as several finished ones.

http://www.fishyfish.com/tolmanskiff.html

Very nice I also hope to build one some day. I have seen this picture before when looking at different sites.

Default Tolman

Now THAT is a nice boat. We used one of his early skiffs for commercial fishing back in the early 80's. We had over 3000 pounds of red salmon in it one day.

We felt better in that boat in the big waves than I have in a lot of 30-40 foot boats.

I think ours was about 20' feet and we pushed it fine with a 40 HP.

Default Sweet!

Tolmans are the best.
    Did you make it to the wooden boat show in Homer this year? I passed, but went last year.

I didn't make it to the show this year, did go last year. I can't get the hull in the garage on a trailer, so I won't be able to trailer the hull until I'm basically done.

I heard the weather this year was crummy, and only a Tolmans at the show, so you didn't miss much.

Next year should be a good one, as there are several of us that should be bringing newly completed hulls down.

While no where near as cool as building a Tolman like Paul is doing, I've got a wood boat myself...

Truth be told, she just sold, and I should get the check next week. Ah... the two happiest days of a boat owners life.

Brian,

Are you replacing it with something, or just too busy with the new job? I'm going to be over at the BOC next week, so if you're on the slope, stop by and say hi.

Paul,

Probably try and pick up something in the 35ft range, aluminum, and of course a drop bow. Been seeing a few catamaran style around town recently, like this one...

...and really like the concept.

I'm not due up north till mid-June.

Default Another Tolman, this one a Jumbo

22' x 8' Tolman Jumbo, 115 Yammer 4S, T8 Yammer kicker, launched last spring at the Homer Boat Show.

Neal
    Skiffkits
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice boat Neal,

Is it safe to assume your the guy who offers precut kits?

What would be the shipping run for a kit like your boat to Sitka?

Yes.

A WAG on frt. $300-350, shipped one to Juneau, it was $275.

Neal

Default Precut Tolman Kits?

Very intersting to me.
    Do you have a web address?
    Rob

Yes, but the group mom will probably delete it if I post it, they want to keep the forum commercial free. Let's just say it's real easy to figure out.

Neal
    Skiffkits

Default Familiar scene

There's a familiar scene! We built a Jumbo that was finished back in 2011. Just took it to the sound a couple of weeks ago for the first time. You'll like the Tolman, its a nice boat.

Kudos for finding a post that is over 7 years old. That's good use of the search function. . Look like nice boats.

Scott