Thread: Kenai Wildlife Refuge permits

Default Kenai Wildlife Refuge permits

I hate to be a forum pig but I am coming up with more questions the more I research. Sorry. My next question is about the alotted permits in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. It seems some guides get as little as 3 and some way more. Is there a general rule that the more expensive guides have plenty to go around? I just do not want to be told the day of my trip that the fishing is "way better somewhere else besides the wildlife refuge" so we will go there (because we don't have permits) Also does the general public need a permit or can they float at will?

Quote Originally Posted by chitownflyfisher View Post
    I hate to be a forum pig but I am coming up with more questions the more I research. Sorry. My next question is about the alotted permits in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. It seems some guides get as little as 3 and some way more. Is there a general rule that the more expensive guides have plenty to go around? I just do not want to be told the day of my trip that the fishing is "way better somewhere else besides the wildlife refuge" so we will go there (because we don't have permits) Also does the general public need a permit or can they float at will?

Alaska Troutfitters will not steer you in the wrong direction.
    Refuge permits are for guides only, if you have a raft or pontoon float away.

Default There are plenty of guides in the Refuge

As a private individual, you do not need a permit to float the wildlife refuge area, but keep in mind that there is MUCH good water outside of the refuge where anyone with a Kenai River guide permit can fish.

While Curt Trout built a reputable and sucessful business, Troutfitters, it is now under new ownership/management due to his passing. While generally speaking they do a great job, like most guides, there are some issues as well, as with most guides.

I have done business with Troutfitters and, though they told me what they thought I wanted to hear, I was satisfied with their service. I also sent clients thier direction and all was well. So, I am NOT bashing Troutfitters, rather just prompting you to ask many very specific questions to whomever you call.

In October, there will be some great fishing through the Kenai Canyon, so I recommend finding a guide with a permit i.e. Troutfitters or Clearwater or ??? The other day, consider a trip on the middle below Skilak lake.

Hope that helps.

Both clearwater and trout fitters float in refuge every day in the fall. they only book on days they are allowed to float but i think clearwater is allowed 6 days on the water each week, Just ask them but with 3 boats at clear they are able to accomadate your needs
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There are other stretches to fish during this time. The refuge is getting destroyed with the amount of traffic. Those fish are completely mangled. The middle is EXCELLENT in late Sept/Oct. Lots of really big fish. The refuge is known for its numbers but certainly not for its size. The biggest fish I have seen in the Kenai are well below the Moose River. There is even some amazing bead fishing from Centenial to Pillars at this time as well.