Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting for blackies

Default Bow hunting for blackies

I just got my first bow (Bowtech Guardian), and I am just curious how many of you bow hunt for blackies over bait? Obviously, this is probably the simplest approach to hunt blackies regardless of your weapon of choice, but I was just curious what experienced bow hunters are doing. I have never hunted over bait but I am thinking I might do this for my first blackie with a bow.

Default That is all I do.

That is all I do. I was introduced to hunting black bear 4 year ago. And fortunately by an excellent bear baiter. I have taken four so far, two in one year and missed one year (not a miss but long story). So far I think I have been in on 10-12 kills over bait and love it. Two have been P&Y.

It is probably the best way to hunt them. You should also buy a video camera. The ones you don't harvest are fun to watch and you can make some excellent films. Bears are not all that hard to kill. The same setup for whitetails does fine.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default welcome to the club!

I'm with Dave: its a great way to harvest a bear! I'd modify what he says about not being hard to kill, though. With a good shot, they usually go down easy. Don't miss by just a little, though. 2 of 4 bears that I've killed or helped with over bait had arrows in them; one within about a milimeter of the spinal cord, and the other clipped the top of a lung and lodged in the backstrap under its shoulder. Both were old wounds that had grown in fully. So both hits were pretty good, but you need to be sure to get a good double lung. Study lots of shot placement charts, watch you tube video, and practice practice practice! The one thing I have seen in common with all the bears coming in, is that if its a good bear, once it gets to the bait its staying there.. just be patient and take a good shot.

Default Bowhunt Blackies?

....huh.....oh yea....78 days until season starts

Default Bear Bait Clinic

Anyone know when ADF&G will be offering bait clinics?

Default +1

willphish4food is right, shot placement is very important. I recommend you practice as you will be hunting i.e. if you’re going to hunt them over bait from a tree stand practice that way. Get used to the angel and distance even if it is only 10 to 15 yards.

There's a clinic at the the ABA convention coming up in ANC in a week or two.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Bait Clinic

Looks like I'll be attending the clinic on Feb 8 at the Captain Cook Hotel. They still have a few open spaces if anyone is interested.

Default just my thoughts

I shot 3 last spring, no biggies, all around the 5' barrier--I was pulled off stand by 11pm everynight last year--so i shot what I could--as I was trying to fill tags. I shot 2 with a rifle--both went about 75yds after the shot thru the lungs. 3rd bear I shot with my bow--he did an about face, ran into the ladder on the stand and died 15' from the stand, moral of the story--be confident--and shoot them all with a bow. BTW, I had a 6' sow come in one day--pulled the trigger--gun went click--she bolted--that doesn't happen with a bow!! Last thought, be patient and alert--let them get to the bait, and eat a bit, they seem to get comfortable--as they know where the stands are

Default Here goes....

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    I shot 3 last spring, no biggies, all around the 5' barrier--I was pulled off stand by 11pm everynight last year--so i shot what I could--as I was trying to fill tags. I shot 2 with a rifle--both went about 75yds after the shot thru the lungs. 3rd bear I shot with my bow--he did an about face, ran into the ladder on the stand and died 15' from the stand, moral of the story--be confident--and shoot them all with a bow. BTW, I had a 6' sow come in one day--pulled the trigger--gun went click--she bolted--that doesn't happen with a bow!! Last thought, be patient and alert--let them get to the bait, and eat a bit, they seem to get comfortable--as they know where the stands are
    I don't think I'm hijacking a thread here because this thread was about black bear hunting...and so is this response. I know I'll get pounced on, but that's because I'm reponding to this while others are just thinking it.

Gobblinfool....are you hunting in Alaska? If so....why are you shooting 3 bears that are 5'? Why not put some time in, judge some bears and wait for a mature bear? I realize this is perfectly leagal....but c'mon, why shoot so many little bears?

I hunt bears full time in the spring every year and spend hours watching and judging bears and it has taken a long time to get good at it. Only under rare occasions would we even consider shooting a bear under 6'. The smallest last year was 6'3" and I only let the guy shoot that one becuase it was his first bear.

If you can't hunt all night fine, but why waste a resource just to shoot something small? Why not shoot mature animals? Manage your bear baits like food plots for deer....let the small ones get big and mature and then shoot them, it doesn't take long.

Ok....fire away...... but 3 5' bears is a joke. Fine...shoot one 5 footer THEN wait for a mature bear. Why would you want 3 5' bears?

I'll be giving bear hunting a try for the first time this spring also, either with a bow over bait or spot and stalk in PWS (w/rifle). Actually, probably both. I've never had the desire to bear hunt before, I blame many of you on this forum for giving me the itch.

I haven't taken the bait clinic yet, taking it next month, so I have a lot to learn.

I have a few questions for experienced bear hunters, if someone doesn't mind? And remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people who asks questions.

Any room to find a baiting spot in the valley? Within 40 miles of Palmer by road? Or are all accessible spots 1/4 mile off the road already taken?

Anyone bait in PWS? I gotta imagine the logistics of keeping the bait full is a nightmare, unless you have a long vacation (or live in Valdez). It's funny, I've been fishing PWS many times, but I can't remember if the trees in the area are big enough to put up a stand. if so, I could use the bow there also?? shooting a bear with the bow is my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Ok....fire away...... but 3 5' bears is a joke. Fine...shoot one 5 footer THEN wait for a mature bear. Why would you want 3 5' bears?
    Perhaps he is more interested in the meat. Youngsters are much more tasty.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Perhaps he is more interested in the meat. Youngsters are much more tasty.
    I give the benefit of the doubt on one...but not 3. And what is the 5' barrier supposed to mean? Like if they're over 5' they are good to go? Uh...that 5' needs to be raised to at least 6'. Bears need time to mature and get big, sows need time to get big and mature for breeding. When you're dealing with 5' bears it gets harder to tell the boars from the sows. Bears up here breed, if they're lucky, every two years and often times every three.

For instance, my hunting partner this year shot a 6'9 (squared) cinammon bear, just an awsome bear. We first saw that bear 3 years ago, sleeping in the same stand on the bait he was shot on this year. He was maybe 5.5' then. We saw him several times since then and let him walk...letting him mature.

Little bit of that depends on where you are AK145.
    According to our local biologist here on the Kenai, if you find a 5' bear on the refuge you'd do well not to pass it up. According to him a 6' is a real trophy. I believe he said 5' was a good average bear here.

My personal experience is limited. I don't think I've ever seen a 6' black bear here.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    I give the benefit of the doubt on one...but not 3.
    If it's primarily a meat hunt, why not? There's not all that much meat on a bear, and if a fella didn't get a moose or caribou the previous season, those three bears could go a long way towards filling a freezer. Besides, most areas with a 3 bear limit are overpopulated with bears. I'd rather 3 predators be taken out of such an area than one particularly large one.

I took mine many years ago and still hunt over bait just have not taken one since. The one i got was mid 6' and in perfect condition so im looking for the 7'+. I did sit over bait about 15 feet up and 12 yards away. I started to practice from my roof which was about the same ht as my tree stand. Id shoot 25-40 arrows a day. As time progressed i was putting them all in the kill zone. Made me very confident and comfortable in the stand. I practiced for about 30 days like this prior to the hunt
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

hey ak maybe he was in a predator control area or may be he's just wanted 3 at 5' that's his right and not illeagal if you don't like it to bad do something about the law and don't criticize some one for making a leagal judgement.

Default 5+5+5

Hey! In one season he got 15' of bear. Most people don't get 6' of bear. Eat em before they eat a moose.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The more blackies taken out of a bait station, the better . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    hey ak maybe he was in a predator control area or may be he's just wanted 3 at 5' that's his right and not illeagal if you don't like it to bad do something about the law and don't criticize some one for making a leagal judgement.
    I was waiting for this comment. Good arguement there.....just because it's leagal makes it right to shoot every little bear that walks in....ok.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast