Thread: Beacon rental

Default Beacon rental

My wife has gotten into cross country skiing big time. My knees with never let me keep up. Regardless, she wants to take a backcountry class that requires a beacon, pole and shovel. Is there anywhere in Anchorage to rent these items? Please pm me if you know of anywhere.

You might be able to rent one at REI or AMH. Heck, I'd let her borrow one of mine as well if you'd prefer. The two I have are the analog models, but honestly I think it is better to practice with the analog beacons as you actually learn how to read them instead of just following the flashing arrow.

Thumbs up Cheap life insurance...

I saw an ad in Fish Alaska magazine last month if I am not mistaken. The business rents personal locator beacons. Think it was about $50/week. Can't remember if they had a daily rate. I bought the ACR Terrafix. We use it on our NW Alaska floats each Fall. We float rivers in our Ally pack canoes fly fishing for dollies. The ACR provides a lot of peace of mind. It is a great product and I can recommend it highly. The reason I bring it up, is depending on how often she would be renting, it may be worth purchasing one. There are a few discussions in the Outdoor Survival forum that talk about locator beacons. The two models I hear most about are the ACR Terrafix and the SPOT. The SPOT has a yearly subscription of about a hundred bucks. The ACR has no fees. There are several other differences in the two units as well and the ACR is far better than the SPOT for my uses. Here is a link to the ACR that I have. It is the model with GPS built in. I don't know why they made the model without it. You have to attach it to a gps unit for it to work. I will put a link below this one to the new ACR. It is a little smaller I think. You also will notice they don't even make the model without gps anymore. ACR makes a great product and is cheap life insurance if you ask me. I can recommend it highly.

My model

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...acr+&noImage=0

Newest model

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...acr+&noImage=0
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan - ACRs or other personal locator beacons will do you absolutely zero good in an avalanche. Ultimately, it'll just help them find your body after you're cold and dead. An avalanche beacon and a partner who knows how to use one is the only thing that will save 99% of avalanche burial victims.

Default ff

I did not realize he specifically wanted an avalanche beacon. I guess the poles/shovel part should have tipped me off.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan, sorry for the confusion, I should have put avalanche beacon in the original post. Brian, thank you for the offer. I've asked her to make sure the analog beacons are good for the class. Its in March, three weeks, twice a week I think is what she said. I will let you know.

Default How do they differ

Just wondering what the difference in the two are. Would it be better for those of us that are always talking about the PLB's to use an avalanche model? For those who are interested I rented one that was $30 per week from http://www.satellitephonestore.com/ I also got my phone from them as well. Their service was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Brian, thank you for the offer. I've asked her to make sure the analog beacons are good for the class. Its in March, three weeks, twice a week I think is what she said. I will let you know.
    Bill - The offer still stands, but I'll hopefully be doing a lot of skiing in March. I'll need the beacons when I'm out, so if she's borrowing mine we would have to figure out how to get them back and forth. I'm willing to work with you, as beacon training is incredibly important and I like to see people learning how to safely use them, but it might be a bit of a hassle for her.

Arrow I'm no expert...

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering what the difference in the two are. Would it be better for those of us that are always talking about the PLB's to use an avalanche model? For those who are interested I rented one that was $30 per week from http://www.satellitephonestore.com/ I also got my phone from them as well. Their service was great.
    A PLB is a long range device that broadcasts a signal on a SAR frequency so that a third party can come rescue you if you don't return when scheduled.
    An avy beacon is a short range device that stays on normally. In case of an avalanche, your partners switch their Pieps beacons to "Receive" and use the limited DF capability of the units in combination with probes to home in on you and dig you out of the concrete snow in the few minutes you have left to breathe.
    Like Brian said, it's about your only chance if you are taken by an avy in the backcountry.

Absolutely mandatory for avy country.

http://www.tetongravity.com/viewer/Clip_SAGEAVI.aspx

oh this is great!
    you have some trainings? is it open for all?

Brian, I sent you an e-mail if the information about when etc. Let me know if you didn't get it.
    If anyone wants information about the class, I'll get if from the better half.