Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing declining in Alaska?

Default Fishing declining in Alaska?

According to an article in the latest issue of Alaska Magazine (Feb. '08, p. 11), only about one-third of Alaskans fish, and that percentage is declining.

Also, in 2001, 421,000 people fished in Alaska, but by 2006 that number had dropped to 310,000, a decline of 26%.

Can any of you guides confirm this? Have you seen this trend in your business?

(On the other hand, wildlife viewing in Alaska is up 22% over just five years ago.)

Default Yup, that's the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

According to an article in the latest issue of Alaska Magazine (Feb. '08, p. 11), only about one-third of Alaskans fish, and that percentage is declining.

Also, in 2001, 421,000 people fished in Alaska, but by 2006 that number had dropped to 310,000, a decline of 26%.

(On the other hand, wildlife viewing in Alaska is up 22% over just five years ago.)

I'm no guide, but actual harvesting of fish and game as a lifestyle is going by the wayside. No, you wouldn't know it from the crowds on the Kenai or Russian River, Montana Creek etc. But people are beginning to look askance at you if you say that you were out catching dinner. There is a growing population of upwardly mobile types who would much rather look at or photograph a moose or fish than eat it.

I'm pretty sure we need to use it or lose it, and that means being vocal and getting others to join us year'round in traditional hunting and fishing, and do it in a way that brings credit to these activities. The aforementioned folks are very savy and powerful politically.

I will say that I have seen a huge trend in immigrants fishing at places like Ninilchik. They know good food when they see/taste it.

Get them kids out from in front of the TV and take them fishing and hunting!

The best place to view wildlife and/or fish is on one's dinner plate.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

The resort I guide for is fully booked all but the 1st and last week of the season, added 2 boats to the fleet a couple years ago. I do think some of the resorts in the area I fish may be seeing some declining numbers though, at least it seems that way to me.

I bet it has to do with license enforcement and people just aren't buying fishing licenses any more
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It may have to do with the cost of airline tickets these days. If you don't book way in advance you are looking at a lot of money.

I think Sayak hit it on the head, get the kids out from in front of the tv and take them hunting or fishing.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    .....But people are beginning to look askance at you if you say that you were out catching dinner. There is a growing population of upwardly mobile types who would much rather look at or photograph a moose or fish than eat it.....
    Those are the type who grew up on Big Macs.

They wouldn't know what to do with a fish if you gave one to them.

....I'm pretty sure we need to use it or lose it....
    Maybe, but I doubt it.

More looky-loos and fewer harvesters might also mean more critters running around threatening these eaters-of-soylent-green. They'll need somebody to shoot/catch them so that they won't be so............scary...........

When it stated 421,000 people fished - Is that Alaskans? I would assume so considering the article said Alaskans. Based on that Im not sure using guides as a research tool on this topic would tell us much as the bulk of there clients are non res. Again the article said "Alaskans".
    Some of us will book a charter here or there but not many Alaskans use guides for fishing.

I think our younger generation is more concerned with the opposite sex, cars, shopping ect. I really notice it in Anchorage, and even down here in Juneau. Many of the younger people 14 - 25 just dont care about the outdoors. Alot of them I work with are more interested in going to the bar than going out fishing.

Default Urban centers

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post

I think our younger generation is more concerned with the opposite sex, cars, shopping ect. I really notice it in Anchorage, and even down here in Juneau. Many of the younger people 14 - 25 just dont care about the outdoors. Alot of them I work with are more interested in going to the bar than going out fishing.
    Many people who live in places like Anchorage and Juneau are out of touch with the rest of Alaska. When I used to live in Dillingham, and traveled to Anchorage, I would have to explain about bush Alaska to shippers and cashiers, and that was quite some time ago. Probably many city dwellers never leave the urban confines, and lack the means to do so. To them an Alaskan city is just a colder, low-budget version of a city in the lower 48 or Korea, or somewhere (but has greater economic opportunity). If my nieces and nephews in Anchorage didn't get hauled out to fish camp once a year, they would be out of touch too.

Take a kid fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    When it stated 421,000 people fished - Is that Alaskans?
    Don't think so. As I read the article, the 421,000 was visitors, and that number is declining. It would seem sportfishing is but a small part of Alaska's tourism industry. If only 310,00 of 1.4 million visitors fished, that's only, what, about 22% of our summer visitors who fished here?

Check it out. . . the magazine should be on the newsstands shortly.

Default State Numbers

Below is a link to license sold for the past 10 years. Last year (2007) 483,138 were sold. This includes everything sold that has sportfish attached.

Some number columns for residents are down, I wonder if this has anything to do with military deployed, military cutting back jobs?

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/ad...yr2007sold.pdf

Default Dire days ahead for the sportfishing industry?

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Below is a link to license sold for the past 10 years. Last year (2007) 483,138 were sold. This includes everything sold that has sportfish attached.

Some number columns for residents are down, I wonder if this has anything to do with military deployed, military cutting back jobs?

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/ad...yr2007sold.pdf
    Thanks. . . those figures sound just right. About 300,000 nonresident licenses would leave less than 200,000 resident licenses, about one-third the state's population, as the Alaska Magazine article reports.

It'll be interesting to see the figures from this coming summer, what with sport fishing in decline nationwide, rising gas prices, and an economy threatening to go into recession.

Time will tell . . .

Mark

Dire days ahead for the sportfishing industry?.......

......Thanks. . . those figures sound just right. About 300,000 nonresident licenses would leave less than 200,000 resident licenses, about one-third the state's population, as the Alaska Magazine article reports.....
    Over 114,000 of those non-resident licenses are 1 day licenses to fish. In other words, the non-resident went fishing one time, many of them probably on a charter.

I suspect most Alaska residents don't do charters unless they're accompanying non-resident family or friend visitors. That's certainly true in my case.

In my case, fishing has become a royal pain in the rear. I'll get my fish from family who still go, or I'll do a couple of dipnetting sessions if the stack of canned fish in the root celler dwindles down. I'll go ice fishing (no crowds, and no game-playing with commercial fisheries and their managers like the salmon fishery) and do a couple of fall rainbow trips, and call it good.

Mark

Whoops.

Double post.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    . . (. . no game-playing with commercial fisheries and their managers like the salmon fishery). .
    Mark, what does this mean? Are you involved somehow with commercial fishing—sport or gill-nets? Are you referring to the Personal Use, set-net fishery? What?

Question

. . (. . no game-playing with commercial fisheries and their managers like the salmon fishery). .
    Mark, what does this mean? Are you involved somehow with commercial fishing—sport or gill-nets? Are you referring to the Personal Use, set-net fishery, dip-nets? What?

Have you ever considered buying your salmon from a co-op? Relatively inexpensive.

I'm think'n a few factors play in...

1) The newer generations are getting lazy...because of the boob-tube, videos game, etc.

2) The trendy greenies have made a dent.

3) Parents are getting out of touch with their children and not passing on good'ol values, nature (Hunting and fishing) and such.

4) And then there's the money problem. The high cost to do anything anymore...fuel and such.

All I know is that I'm going to make sure my kids enjoy and respect the outdoors...by example.

I thank God my son love to fish.
    Here he is a few years ago on the Little Cimarron Creek in CO.
    Note how well he has mastered casting...

And he does know how to catch fish...
    A couple of years earlier...with his Snoopy Pole
    Sorry for the photo hy-jack...

Oh, BTW
    I don't think it's just in Alaska.
    I've noticed a decline on the Tuna Charters out of San Diego. Every year the loads seem less and less. But that to me is a good thing. I hate cattle boats. We try to do mid-week trips and search out the light load boats, and it's easier every time.
    Last edited by Hammer Hog; 01-29-2008 at 19:54. Reason: Forgot something...

Mark

Originally Posted by Mark
    . . (. . no game-playing with commercial fisheries and their managers like the salmon fishery)....
    Mark, what does this mean? Are you involved somehow with commercial fishing—sport or gill-nets? Are you referring to the Personal Use, set-net fishery? What?
    I was referring to the on-again, off-again UCI Emergency Openings and the Curtains of Death that shut the fish down like a light switch despite previously scheduled personal use fisheries.

Mark

........Have you ever considered buying your salmon from a co-op? Relatively inexpensive........
    After you informed me of these co-ops I've considered it. If my family members stop bringing fish home, and if the Copper River fishery turns into a fiasco, too, I'll look into it with renewed interest.

I've also considered doing a subsistence set net in a remote area. I don't have the time now, but I will in a few years.

I was referring to the on-again, off-again UCI Emergency Openings and the Curtains of Death that shut the fish down like a light switch despite previously scheduled personal use fisheries.
    maybe you should get better at dipnetting or reading fisheries announcements

Anyway the less people on the water the happier I'll be, sure doesn't seem like it though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast