Thread: Left Over Scope Needs New Rifle

Default Left Over Scope Needs New Rifle

I have a custom Rem 700 in 338 win mag that is a work in progress and it currently has a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36.
    Also a Rem Ti in 7mm saum that is wearing a Leupold FXIII 6x42.
    I just ordered a Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 to put on the 338 .
    The VXIII 2.5-8 is going to the 7mm so that leaves me with the FXIII 6x42 that needs a new rifle under it.
    I think the above rifles pretty much cover any big game that I will be hunting so I was thinking something smaller for varmints to predators up to wolf size. Would the fixed 6x be a good choice on something along the lines of a 223 or 243 ? Any other suggestions of what caliber to look at?
    The left over scope is a good excuse to buy another rifle anyway

Default .243 Win

I would opt for a .243 with the 6x on top. One of my first rifles was a .243 with a 6x scope, a Savage 99 and the scope a Bausch & Lomb. I still think that was an excellent setup. I took a lot of deer and coyotes with that rig, wish I still had it today. I would swap out the scope with a newer 6x, the newer glass is tough to beat, but I would keep the Savage 99, what a sweet rifle.

Woody

Default 6X

I agree with woody. 6X sounds pretty sweet on top of a 243. Would even make a nice deer combo.

I think you should just give it to me....

How about a 25-06 instead of the 243, if your looking for smaller bore. It offers a little bigger bullet with the same if not better velocity. Both would be great for wolf or coyotes, all depends on what action length you want.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the data for a 243 and 25-06 and I have decided to one day get a 257 Roberts maybe an AI . Cant really pinpoint why. It just feels right. What do you think ?