Thread: Food Allergies?

Default Food Allergies?

The new pup (1 yr), has had an ear infection from the end of Sept.(abt the time I changed her food). We've been to the vet for antibiotic creams and rinses. She absolutely hates the medication process, and now the other day we had her spayed and I asked that doc to look in the ears and see what's goin on in there. He tells me that it is likely a food allergy and recommended "Solid Gold" fish and potatoe blend. Has anyone else had this problem with their dog, and if so, what has worked for you?

Tnx

Steve

Default allergies

Allergies from food often are seen in the ears. Often, it may only be one ear. It appears that allergies, or susceptibility to them may be hereditary. I have had the same issue, and am tired of dealing with it. I am planning on a trip to the vet to have testing done so that I have a better chance to see what the problem/problems are so I can focus better on the corrections.
    Your vet may be right, but it seems that it is a guess to go to that food, or make any changes. You might check into allergy testing from several different sources to determine if that is a route you are willing to take.
    In addition to an ear problem, I currently have a dog with a foot problem. The feet break out in boils that sometimes pop on their own. I thought it was contact based, but after several months of antibiotics and the feet clearing, they are now showing signs of the same sores.
    I guess you can roll the dice and hope you hit a winner, or you can make choices based on more information.

I am not a vet, but used to work as a vet tech. Just remember this, I am not trying to sell you anything. I am just offering advice from what I have seen that was successful.
    Here is what I can tell you... First, if you think it is a food allergy then you need to confirm it through a food trial. A true food trial utilizes Science Diet z/d gold bag. This food is made with hydrolyzed proteins (they are broken down and processed so that the body doesn't recognize them as proteins...it's the same process they use to make formula for babies who are allergic to milk). This food is not cheap (prolly $50 for about 25 lbs.) Your dog needs to eat this food for 2-3 months. (No treats or any table scraps etc...only this food.) If the dog gets better on the food you know it is a food allergy and not an environmental allergy. If it is a food allergy, you might later try using one of the foods with a different protein, like duck, deer, salmon, catfish etc. There are several different brands on the market. Your dog may be able to tolerate one of these foods and the expense will not be so much as the Science Diet z/d. Some dogs have to go back to the z/d.
    I know you are thinking, "Crap, that is alot of money for dog food." Think of it this way...if you end up going to the vet once a month or so, you could buy 2-3 bags of that food with the amount you spend at each vet visit and your dog is not in pain with the constant infections...and believe me they do cause the dogs alot of pain...
    If you do the food trial and it doesn't help, then it is environmental allergies or a combination of food and environmental...you can either have your vet test for those and send to a lab so they can make monthly allergy shots for your dog or you can try an allergy medicine called Atopica. We saw excellent results with Atopica users at our clinic.

Most folks balked at using the high priced foods, but once they saw results with them, they were actually glad to pay for them.
    Good luck. The allergy problems are difficult to deal with until you get them figured out.

Default allergies

I have a yellow lab that had the same ear problems about a year ago. One ear had a constant infection that would not clear up with ear antibiotics, cleaners, or creams. The dog also was chewing at her paws all the time, to the point that they would bleed. A vet friend told me it was food allergies and to try Fromme's whitefish and potato blend dog food. After less than a month the problem cleared up. The food is about $40 for a fifty pound bag but is well worth not seeing the hound miserable. Hope this helps.

akjack,
    My Lab is having the same problems right now and we are about done using the Science diet z/d formula (very pricey). Where can you find the Fromme's whitefish and potato blend dog food?

cruzer17, did the Science Diet z/d indicate that your dog has a food allergy?

Default allergy solution

I am a vet, and have had the unfortunate experiance of older dogs I have owned developing allergies in their golden years. Assuming your dog has not rubbed against anthing caustic to the skin, does not have ear mites or a yeast infection of the ear canal,the cause may be a food alergy. Currently I have an old irish wofhound who has the bad habbit of dumpster diving. His ear canals and inner ear flaps (pinna), the skin around his eyes and nose becomes sore and uticaric (itchy), after partaking of the delectable treats in the garbage can. The treatment (and punishmemt) which takes the "redness out" is as follows:

Boiled rice and a daily K9 vitamin. If the redness persist for more than 7-10 days on this diet a food alergy is not the problem.

LastFrontierLabscruzer17, did the Science Diet z/d indicate that your dog has a food allergy?
    I'm not 100% sure just yet. I do know that he looks a lot better now on the Science diet after only 3 weeks. He hasn't had any other food or treats during this time. Before, when feeding him Iams large breed for most of his life and just within the last year, he has had numerous ear infections, dryness around the eyes, a dull coat, and constant licking of the paws. None of this has been evident for about a week now. I am going to finish out a whole month on this diet just to make sure and consult with our vet again. If it is an allergy, I'll want to look at some other foods that are not as expensive hopefully as the Science Diet z/d.

I really would like to thank everyone on this forum for their help, you guys are great.

Not a vet or vet tech, but I hope your dog is much better soon! Did the vet in either case do an ear culture and/or full blood panel? Sometimes ear problems can be indicators of thyroid issues. Got lulled into a mess awhile back & wish we'd done that sooner. Tule ended up with an ear infection in one ear that turned out to be caused by antibiotic resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa & Staph. aerus. Thought we'd nipped it with ear flushes, topicals & antibiotics, but then it'd flare up about 6 weeks later. My vet dug for answers & effective treatment, but no one offered much hope. He finally tried 2 20-day courses of Zeniquin with 7 days off between each course -- and it worked. Good luck!!

Karen

Default length of time

Ask the vet how long food, or allergic symptoms can hang on. As I recall, when switching types of food, it can take a dog close to 60 days to fully matabolize the changes. How that might affect bioligical changes from allergies I do not know. I would hesitate to switch the dog too early. Be sure your test is able to run the full time required to make a positive determination.
    Be careful too not to jump to conclusions. Most of the time they are wrong. 3CBRS is correct about staph infections and the possibility of a throid condition. It costs more up front, but in the long run completing the tests may save your dog some physical discomfort and save your pocketbook.

The vet did do an ear culture...and I do not remember what she said the results are other than their were no mites and it wasn't a yeast infection.

You are corect River Rat; I don't want to jump to conclusions, and I will keep on with the diet for at least 3 more weeks and see how goes it from there.

Thanks

Default Mr MMILLER5

My jack danials oops I mean my Jack Russell has red skin and sore rashes in the creases of his hind legs by his groin area. I treat with gold bond powder and doesn't seem to want to go completely away. I never thought of a food allergy from his eagle brand food. Would you suggest the boiled rice diet with him? Thank you much.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

If your jack russel is as hyper as my old viszla, who by the way often had a similar redness, you may be dealing with a contact dermatitis which may respond to reduced activity. (Good luck.)
    Please do not consider this any type of recomendation, as any type of redness, itching, ect. may be resultant from allergies, hormone issues, autoimmune Dz.,topical parisites,........ Sorry I digress.
    Any way, my old viszla following a hunting trip, or just an unscheduled run around the neighborhood often returned from the adventure with a medial thigh redness possibly resultant from contact chafing. For this particular dog, with this medial thigh erythema, I applied a very very small amount of benadryl cream to the affected area. More might have been better, but the stupid dog made a point of licking, so I made sure the ointment was applied sparingly, then the area was dried prior to release of the animal. Any way, this particular dog responded well, and the redness was relieved within 48-72 hours.

Smile Doggie on the mend

Well, after about two weeks now on the new food, the little girls ears seem to be clearing up nicely. I haven't had her back to the vet, but they look much better and she doesn't walk around the house shaking her head all the time. So for now I'm cautiously optimistic. The stuff we switched to is called Natural Balance, and I guess is just sweet potato and fish. She doesn't go after the food bowl like she did with the other foods, but I guess it's been better for her. Thanks everyone for the input.

My german shorthair pup (9 mo.) started developing red bumps on his coat at hair started to fall out at about 4 months old. We initially thought it might have been mange or mites, but the vet's test came out negative. He said it was most likely a food allergy and recommend a dog dermatologist here in Anchorage. She said blood tests were only about 50% accurate and a food trial was the best approach. She put him on Natural Balance sweet pototo and salmon as well. This doesnt have any well known allergens in it such as wheat, corn, soy, and others. She also stated that for the food to truely take effect it can be anywhere from 8-12 weeks, so be patient if there is not a very quick improvement.
    Our pup has been on it for about 4 weeks and his fur is filling back in.

Default natural balance

Is that readily available (Anchorage)?

Thanks,

SH

Default natural balance

I bought some at the local pet store here in Eagle River. I'd bet most of the bigger places have it.

I would have to agree. Natural Balance Sweet potato and Fish was our life saver as well. Most pet stores carry it, just keeping it in stock is a problem. If you go to Alaska Mill and Feed they will let you know when their order comes in and even hold bags for you until you can get there.

I found it at Petzoo in Waskilla. She's on it now, so we'll see if thta's the issue. Thanks for the tip all . ..

SH

SH, just remember that it takes at least 3 months to obtain optimal results. You may see changes sooner but to give it a good shot you have to try it at least 3 months. Mine and my vets opinion!