Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 358 Norma Magnum rifle

Default 358 Norma Magnum rifle

Anyone else on this forum own a 358 NM besides me? I am interested in hearing about your rifle and how you decided on this particular caliber and aquired your rifle. Mine was just completed, started out as a factory Interarms Mark X 7mm Remington Magnum that my late grandfather used to own, he was 90 years old when he gave it to me. I started on the rifle project this past winter and finally I have the rifle in hand once again. "Shooting it tomorrow".

I own one. Mine is built on a model 70 classic action. I used this rifle to shoot a Kodiak brown bear this spring.

Had a S&L for a few years with the best piece of walnut I've ever seen. Shot like it had high tech bedding, but this was just plain old good stock work from the 60's by a big name. Almost hated to take it out it was so perty, but it shot so well I couldn't leave it home. Had to let it go when I got hungry one time, and still grieve it's departure. Performance on game was spectacular, and this was before Nosler or anyone else made premium bullets in 35.

Default 358 NM pic

Here is a photo of my new rifle w/o the scope. This morning I mounted a Leupold VX III 1.5 x 5X scope on it and sighted it in using reloaded Norma brass and 250 grain bullets, decided on 1.5 inches high at 50 yards. My brother-in-law also showed me his 358 NM which was built on a Mauser Model 98 Preduzece 44 action, very unique rifle. His father had a custom 358 NM that was built on a Remington action, he had great results on big moose both on the Yukon and Kuskokwim Rivers. Enjoy the photo.
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 04-10-2007 at 21:11.

Default 358NM specs

Here is the company that rebarreled the action for me.
    Benchmark Barrels
    1105 Pioneer Hwy, East
    Arlington, Washington 98223
    (360) 652-2594

Interarms Mark X action originally chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum “Grandfather’s Old Rifle”

Re-barreled to 358 Norma Magnum
    Stainless Steel 24 inch # 4 Contour barrel with Target Crown
    Custom 2-Position Safety Shroud
    Deluxe Timney Trigger
    KG (Kal-Gard) finish

Company that did the stock work.
    McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
    1638 W. Knudsen
    Phoenix, Arizona 85027
    (623) 582-9635

Complete Installation
    Interarms Mark X Mauser classic style stock
    Molded in Woodland Camouflage color
    Glass bedded with (2) Aluminum Pillars
    Stainless Steel sling swivel studs
    Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad
    13.75 LOP

Great work, great rifle.

Looks good. Mine is bedded in a swirly-pattern McMillan stock and has a Leupold fixed 6x on top.

Default 358 photo request

Matt,
    How about uploading a photo of your 358 Norma Magnum, I am sure forum members would enjoy and appreciate the picture. Include the rifle specs too, maybe there are others 358NM enthusiasts out there that would enjoy sharing some information and/or their experiences with there 358s. Thanks

Thanks for replying to my thread, Shultz & Larsen 358 NM, I would have really enjoyed seeing that. Read about them searched for one for years could not find one no matter how hard I searched. Rare and unique. Haven't seen any Husqvarnas 358 NMs around have you? Thanks.

Default .358 Norma Mag

Although I do not currently have a .358 Norma Mag., I have been thinking of one. Here is my idea on making one, you all let me know what you think.
    Browning Stainless BLR in .300 Win Mag. rebarrelled to .358 Norma Mag. My reasons for this set up are; I am left handed and the lever action would work great for me, the BLR has a drop box mag, and I think it would be unique. Just something I am thinking about. Let me know your thoughts, as I am definitely no expert on custom guns.

Talkeetnakid

Default Additional Photo

Here is a closeup of my 358 NM Mauser action with custom 2-position safety shroud by Benchmark Barrels.
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 04-10-2007 at 21:11.

Looking at the popularity of lever actions these day and their ability to cycle rounds very quickly. I believe that a custom 358 NM lever action would be an effective brush rifle, drop box magazine is an added bonus since you would not be limited with your bullet selection.

Here's a picture of my custom 358 Norma Magnum:

Default Totally awesome photo

Matt,
    That is a totally awesome photo, your custom 358 Norma Magnum speaks for itself, great promotion for the 358. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Default Varberger Model 711 Grade 1 358 Norma Magnum

Anyone forum members know whether or not Varberger of Sweden still has a U.S. Distributor for their Model 711 Grade 1 in 358 Norma Magnum?

Default 358 Norma Magnum Rifle pics

Adding a few additional pics of my first rifle project a 358 Norma Magnum to my 7/23/06 post. Enjoy
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 04-25-2007 at 19:02.

Default Additional 358 NM photo

Just adding an additional photo to this thread for your viewing pleasure. This rifle was completed in July of 2006. Enjoy
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 04-25-2007 at 19:02.

Looks good. How do you like that McMillan stock? They're my favorite out there, second to none in my opinion.

Default 358 Nm

I surely like both of those rifles. Awsome Alaska hunting tools.

Is this the stock that was used? http://mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/hunting/mauser.asp

Thanks for sharing the pictures of those great rifles.

KB

Exactly the stock I used for my Interarms Mark X action. This is my first McMillan Fiberglass Stock, personally I think it is probably the best for hunting/utility rifles here in Alaska, at least that is my opinion. Some may agree or disagree since there are other quality stocks out there on the market that could just as easily handle our varied and at times unpredictable weather conditions here in Alaska. For a hunter's rifle I think it is one of the very best.

Had one, Sold it, BIG MISTAKE
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast