Thread: April Haul run?

Default April Haul run?

A buddy and I would like to make a meat run up the haul road sometime in April. It would be nice to take one with the bow to save the walk, but we will take rifles and snow shoes just in case.
    So I guess the question is, does anyone know how the bou are running up there around that time? Will we be able to access them from the road? Also, will the weather that time of year still be brutal, or manageable?

Thanks in advance,
    Northern

Northern,
    I always take a March trip, the bou seem to be hanging around coldfoot at that time and are very skitish. They like to hang out just far enough from the road so when you stop they bolt. It is a very hard hunt that time of the year with the bow just off the road due to the depth of snow and the terrain so I would imagine you would be in store for a treat if you tried humping in the 5 miles near there. This past year has been crazy with the migration so there is no telling where they will be that time of the year also, my suggestion would be to call the DOT camps to see what the reports are before making a trip. Good luck

Hey man, thanks for the input. I'll definitely give a call to DOT. Coldfoot aint that far of a trip though, sounds tempting...

Northern

Default DOT camps

Is there a phone number for the DOT camps?

Default 511.gov

Always a useful website before travels.........

http://511.alaska.gov/