Thread: Bowhunt Dalton Highway

Question Bowhunt Dalton Highway

I'm planning a caribou hunt off the Dalton Highway. Planning on the second week of August. I was planning on flying into fairbanks renting a truck and driving out from there. I was hoping for some tips from experienced people, and where carabou usually would be found that time of year. I have never been to Alaska or flown anywhere for a hunt.

Thanks

Hey Iwas planning for that hunt too with a bow ofcoures
    Iwas hoping for augest or september. altho I grew up in Alaska this will also be my first time on tough Dalton.
    My packing list from others experiance:
    Lots and lots of bug spray
    lot of cardbourd to cover truck up from drivebyandbeatup kind of people
    get some kind of winch and a dead man styel of anchor to winch self out.becuase i am going to park way of that dangerese road.
    a small freezzer to put atleast 3 caribou in. don't forget to take generater and gas.

Hey i don't think the rentals allow ther vehicals on the dalton better check into that.

I would start calling around to make sure you find a rental that will let you take the rental up on the haul.
    As to where the caribou can be found. Your gussses is good as mine. I have found them all the way up by the bluffs and same time following year I found them 100 mikles south of thre bluffs
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Go North Rv

Try Go North RV in Fairbanks. I am pretty sure form reading their site information they don't care wher you go.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ruvimarrow View Post
    get some kind of winch and a dead man styel of anchor to winch self out.becuase i am going to park way of that dangerese road.
    You may want to re-think your parking ideas. Yes, you should park off the road in the available pull-outs and pipeline access roads (not blocking the gate, of course). You may not, however, take a vehicle off of a driveable surface up there. Pulling your truck off onto the tundra, even just a few yards, is illegal and punishable by significant fines.

bullseye - Spend a few hours doing some searches through the forum archives. No exaggeration - enough has been written here about the Dalton Highway caribou hunt to fill a book - probably multiple books. Folks have shared their experiences, their tips, and more over the past few years. It is a treasure trove of info, and you'll likely find answers to most of your questions through these old threads.

Default Absolutely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You may want to re-think your parking ideas. Yes, you should park off the road in the available pull-outs and pipeline access roads (not blocking the gate, of course). You may not, however, take a vehicle off of a driveable surface up there. Pulling your truck off onto the tundra, even just a few yards, is illegal and punishable by significant fines.

Absolutely!!! Do no pull off of the gravel surfaces. You WILL get a ticket.

Because of the situation last year with the Tundra Tricks, there was an increase in patrols last year. If you pull off, the winch may not do it. You would be better to bring a D-7 dozer.

thanks for the tips i did not realize it was that strict up there

Default just my thoughts

First off, download the rules--either printed or to your desktop--not knowing a rule isn't a excuse--that would probably be rule #1.

Second, make sure that you take enough time for the trip--though it is possible to drive up and wake a nice bull immediately--chances are good that you will spend more time than that obtaining your trophy.

Third, no what your objective is before you get up there--as you might be dissapointed otherwise. I would suggest a couple of objectives that lead to the ultimate goal--killing a bou. You will spend a chunk of change for what you may think is a slam dunk hunt. To me driving thru atigun's pass is worth it all, what a view looking down on God's creation. Be willing to get off of the road--as you will notice that road hunting has lots of competition.

Be prepared for all sorts of weather--as it can and has snowed up there that time of year. Get in shape--the tundra will kick your butt if you aren't prepared--and that isn't with a load of meat on your back! Get a GPS and know how to use it--it could save your legs!!

If you get something, be grateful, don't worry about the size rack--some believe that they are great hunters because they have killed the biggest racked animal--caribou is a crap shoot, you could go days without seeing them--then 300 run you over, some might be big, some might be small--either way they all taste great!!!

If you won't more suggestions don't hesitate to PM me, especially if you want to talk $ amounts--as things add up--especially if you have two flats like we did 2 years ago--thank goodness my buddy put his second spare in the truck before we left!!

Good Luck

I am also thinking about this type of trip, is there anywhere besides Go North RV that does rentals for the Haul road?

How about camping equipment rentals in fairbanks? Tents, stoves, etc?

Thanks
    a3d

if you are military or retired military the bases REC. SERV. rent stuff
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Airport Rental

I think Airport Rental in FBX used to rent crew cab pickups that you could take up the haul road. Really nice if you have 3 or 4 guys going up.

Default Ford Dealer

Go to the Ford dealer and ask if you can take a F-250 for a test drive.

I ran into two guys in Coldfoot a couple of years ago. They were driving a F-350 Crew cab with the back full of fuel. Some pilot in Anchorage wanted to take his plane up to the slope to hunt sheep. So he let these guys drive his truck up full of fuel for free! They caribou hunted and he had his spare fuel for his plane.

Some guys have all the luck......