Thread: best week for dollies/rainbows on kenai

Default best week for dollies/rainbows on kenai

I am coming up to the Kenai for some trout/dollie fishing this year. We will be flyfishing. My question is if you were to go for trout this year and only had 2 days to fish what week of the year would you pick? We plan on getting a guide. Thanks!

Timing depends on the Red run. If they are late or there is an extended run the best fishing is pushed back as the Reds are more agressive and tend to displace the bows. If I only had 2 days to fish I would come the during the last 2 weeks of September. If you are using a guide for the 2 days make one trip an Upper Kenai trip and the other a Middle Kenai trip (outflow of Skilak Lk. to Bings) some monster bows to be caught in this section. The dollies will be nicely coloured up late in the month too.

Default Agreed!

I agree with Drifter. Certainly in September, but later is better.

This year, as all even numbered years, is a pink year...that means that about 5-6 million pink salmon will return to spawn, pretty much unhindered. This could slow the 'bow fishing for a bit toward the end of August but will make for some very happy rainbows and dollies (and fly casters) in September.

While "flies" do well, beads do better. So, if you are a purist and not willing to toss a bead, be sure to tell your guide.

For the big 'bows, look for the BBU flies.... Big, Black and Ugly. Like the Bunny leech, sculpin and the like. Drift through the deeper holes.

In September the flesh patterns and articulated flesh patterns work well also, after the resident fish switch from eggs to left overs.

I don't think you will be too disappointed with the Kenai. The upper will be crowded, the middle, not as much.

Good luck

Thanks! I have no problem fishing with beads, however I will of course bring some flies that I believe will work. I have a flight right now to arrive October 1. Would September 25th be better? Maybe better weather with similiar results? Maybe the 25th would allow for more Silvers as well as trout? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

October is a great month for silvers on the upper Kenai. They start to hole up between Kenai Lk. and the highway bridge to the south. The first week of October might be a little early for this but it could be decent. Large lead eyed or cone head flo pink buggers fished in slow deep holes will get you bit.

Aug. 19 and 20
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I take the last 2 weeks of september off and fish the upper and mid kenai. Great advice on all the threads on this post
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I have been hearing that the pinks will be in strong this year so later might be better. Any votes on the first week in October vs the last week in September? I know it won't make much difference either way but my ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder) is kicking in again. LOL. Any votes? Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Put 2 sticky notes, one with each date on a dart board, close eyes and fire away.

Either is great. I'd give a slight edge to October but either will be just fine.

im still sticking with the last 2 weeks of september especially for the upper
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default I can't Help it I Can't Help it

Oct - Skip the Upper fish the middle smile more often. I don't know about you guys but every year the upper is getting more and more crowded. It is not to say the fishing is not worth the effort just not the same qaulity of experience as in years past.

Having to line up and out to get to the best fishing concerning the upper river even with the quality guides running that section is still brutal IMO.

Pinks Pink Pinks - Yikes always makes for a change of plans. Go often and go later again IMO but then again I tend to get anti social about that time of year and a little greedy. :-)

Any Who Just food for thought and my .28 cents worth.

BMR

Default Get sick!

Two days? Are you nuts? Get "sick" for about 2 weeks and spend them on the kenai the last 10 days of September. For a little variety, drive to the Anchor for a day and harass a few steelhead. Weather's usually a little bit warmer in September, IMO. Start banking favors at work, don't get sick between now and then, and knock yourself out come September!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Two days? Are you nuts? Get "sick" for about 2 weeks and spend them on the kenai the last 10 days of September. For a little variety, drive to the Anchor for a day and harass a few steelhead. Weather's usually a little bit warmer in September, IMO. Start banking favors at work, don't get sick between now and then, and knock yourself out come September!

Thanks a ton for your responces guys! Maybe I could schedule a little "surgery" at the end of Sept. Going to need at least a week to recover. Strange that the only place I could find to do my vasectomy was in Anchorage. My boss will buy that story for sure!