Thread: S+W 460 anyone?

Default S+W 460 anyone?

I am thinking of purchasing one with a 5" barrel or the performance center version with the 6.5" barrel. Do any of you own one of these? Any comments on them?

I had the 5 inch model. It was a fun gun at the range.

I shot it one time at a bear without hearing protection. Me and my buddy were about deaf for an hour. It was amazing!

With the 5 inch barrel it would be neat to know how much velocity your losing cause all the specs on that bullet are based on an 8 inch barrel. I kind of suspect that the 460 is not more than a 454 casull out of the 5 inch barrel.

Besides the deafness that comes from shooting the gun, I liked it!

Default 460 S&w

I have a Performance Center 460 with a 7 1/2" bbl (w/brake), blackened stainless frame & barrel. I clocked the factory 200gr load at 2230 and my handloads of 47gr., H110 , 200 gr Barnes X at 2180 fps. Both loads were moa accurate, if not better. My gun has a 4x Leupy so really fine target work beyond 50 yards becomes iffy for me and my old eyes. Hope this helps.
    sbsmith

I own a couple of them. One the PC version which were a limited production run of 500 (I think) built for Lew Horton & Co. Barrel is either 6.5 or 7.5 not sure as its in the safe. But the production run made for Lew Horton was sold out a long time ago and they can only be found used or sitting in the back corner of some dealers shelf long forgotten.

I also own a couple of the 500's and as much as I love them I think the 460 is the better caliber for overall hunting in Alaska unless you are only targeting the big bears.
    Tennessee

thanks for the responses, I bought the regular 5" today and all three calibres of ammo. Can't wait to shoot it!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Default So, what happened to the bear?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I had the 5 inch model. It was a fun gun at the range.

I shot it one time at a bear without hearing protection. Me and my buddy were about deaf for an hour. It was amazing!

With the 5 inch barrel it would be neat to know how much velocity your losing cause all the specs on that bullet are based on an 8 inch barrel. I kind of suspect that the 460 is not more than a 454 casull out of the 5 inch barrel.

Besides the deafness that comes from shooting the gun, I liked it!
    So, what hapened to/with the bear?

Larry

IT ran off. I shot right over the top of it. I was trying to hit it. I just missed.
    Missing that bear made me practice my butt off with that handgun! I shot that gun so much after that I broke something and the cylinder fell out. S&W fixed it for free.

I sold it or traded it off. I liked the gun, just got bored, and I really hated how loud it was. I knew that after firing that gun I would never want to shoot it without plugs in unless it was life or death.

Anyway got a ruger SRH 454. I thought I was pretty good with that till I shot at a deer with it. Went over its back 3 times before I finally got it.

Practice, practice!

Default AK Handgun

I looked at the .500 and .460 and settled on the .500 as I wanted the 5" barrel to carry.

My guess was the .500 would be more effective in the short barrel; it is also a bit lighter. It also helped that i found a used .500 on the forum here before I found a .460

I'll pick up the longer barrel .460 next when I find a deal on one. Shooting the 3 calibers and my stock of .45 stuff is definitely a plus.

Practice, practice, practice! I've got to get my lead pot fired up; shooting the jacketed bullets is dang expensive.