Thread: just figured my break even point.

Default just figured my break even point.

I handload for a hobby, not cost savings. Its my goal in the long run, but I killed some time tonight figuring out what it cost to reload a round of 10mm.

brand new starline brass. 85.00 shipped per 500, course that was a one time birthday special at midway.
    Speer gold dots 24.00 for 100
    Primers
    and blue dot powder at around 23.00 a pound.

That comes out to .49 cents a round for just that stuff. Wich is about the price of one loaded american eagle round.

Now if you save your brass and nix the cost of that and get 5 reloads out of it that will bring the cost down to .32 cents a round

So you save 80.00 per 500 rounds at this point. Lets say you got 400.00 roughly in your setup.

Youd have to reload 2500 rounds before you broke even based on this scenario.

Sounds about right. Cast your own bullets from wheelweights or salvage lead, and the price drops through the floor. Switch from Blue Dot to Unique or maybe even Bullseye for midrange loads and cut your powder costs in half or by 2/3. Search around and find primers on sale or discounted 10% on cartons of 1000, and you cut it some more.

I'm betting that shooting your own bullets, getting two or three times as many loads from a pound of powder and cutting primer costs, will put you down way south of 20 cents a round. Shoot midrange loads, and I bet you're talking 10 or twelve reloads from those cases, too.

I load between 5,000 and 10,000 a year, as I have since 1966. Call it 41 years.

I don't save any money really, but I'm betting that for the same amount of money I'm shooting that much for about the cost of 500 to 1000 factory rounds. It's all relative, but I'm getting way more shooting for the same or less than I would spend on a lot fewer factory loads.

Yep, sounds about right. Don't forget to figure in your valuable TIME.

Default savings on reloading

I started reloading when I was 12 yrs old, that was 55 yrs ago.
    Have gone thru all kinds or reloading presses and etc... Think the worst press I ever had was a Hornady 007 (one of those that I just had to have) Same with guns over the years (just had to have and then traded for something I just coundent live without). Started out loading 12 ga on a old hand loader (wish I still had the antique). Was lucky enough to work in several gun shops and picked up a lot of stuff cheap. Got a good supply of boolets and brass for the guns I now shoot. Mostly I shoot cast in everything. Plus I shoot black powder also. (50 and 54 cals). Got a fair supply of lead, primers and powder. I basicly reload for a hobby now. Wife shoots, daughter shoots, son-in-law shoots and myself. We do a lot of target shooting (informal) and you know who does all the reloading. Use a Dillon RL550B I've had for about 15 yrs and a Rock-chucker. Every once in a while the daughter and son in law remember to kick a couple dollars in the pot to help cover costs. When I reload no one is allowed in with me, dog included. No T.V, or radio. I enjoy it as a hobby. Wife says she knows where I am most of the time. (unless I go fishing, then thats a diffrent story).
    Dont know about saving any money but shure get a lot of shooting in.

Gun Runner

Default It all depends.....

..what you reload for. It's hard to reach a break even point on some handgun calibers, .45 acp for example. It's easier to break even on some rifle calibers. I load and shoot .458 Win Mag. A box of Federal (20) Barnes 500gn TSX is $130. That's $6.50 a round! I can load a TSX .458 for about $2.00 a round. So, reloading is much more economical in some calibers than others!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I handload for a hobby, not cost savings. Its my goal in the long run, but I killed some time tonight figuring out what it cost to reload a round of 10mm.

brand new starline brass. 85.00 shipped per 500, course that was a one time birthday special at midway.
    Speer gold dots 24.00 for 100
    Primers
    and blue dot powder at around 23.00 a pound.

That comes out to .49 cents a round for just that stuff. Wich is about the price of one loaded american eagle round.

Now if you save your brass and nix the cost of that and get 5 reloads out of it that will bring the cost down to .32 cents a round

So you save 80.00 per 500 rounds at this point. Lets say you got 400.00 roughly in your setup.

Youd have to reload 2500 rounds before you broke even based on this scenario.
    With the way prices on manufactured ammo is going up, you'll likely break even sooner than that... The next step is to start casting your own bullets!

Brian

You never break even, as reloading gets you into buying gus you wouldn't buy if you didn't reload, and you try out bullets you wouldn't shoot if you didn't reload.

The up side is you shoot alot more, and become a better shot. You'll also be driven to improve the accuracy of your guns by dialing in loads for them.

Just when you think you might get to the point you'll break even, you find you don't have the free time you used to have, and figure you need to upgrade to progressive presses, yes plural as you don't want to spend the time converting the presses from whatever round they are set up for.