Thread: Mat-Su Pike Derby

Default Mat-Su Pike Derby

Anyone going to participate in this? We need to do something to help control the pike. I know of several spots that use to have great salmon fishing until the pike basically wiped them out!

Unhappy realistically...

rotenone, dynamite, , nukes.....in that order.
    anything else is a stopgap feelgood attempt at making a difference.
    hate to be a doomsayer, but once you are "piked"... fisheries as you have come to know them are OVER!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default let's just embrace the horror

and become avid pike fishermen. they are good to eat and can be caught year round and with no limit in most areas! if you love salmon/trout fishing..... Save a trout - EAT A PIKE!

I think that would be a great Idea , just wounding if any on has caught some nice ones this month , went out to Trapper but slow going on the big ones , had one pull a wind tip up down the hole before I could get to it ,dam the luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

This Derby has heated up a lot more than I would have expected.These people are serious about killing Pike. Conoco has stepped up w/ $5,000 and there are a number of businesses getting into to it too.
    I found most of the info at the Houston Chamber webiste matsupikederby.com
    They now have prizes for; most, biggest, smallest cumulative weight & cumulative length.
    Think anyone would mind a gill net?

Your link doesn't work. For anyone interested, here's the link. Hope that helps.

http://www.matsupikederby.com/
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

I have heard that a few states have put a bounty on Pike. Something like $5.00 or $10.00 a head. If fish and game really care about the salmon fisheries they better act fast. The bounty will not get rid of the pike but it seems to keep them at bay. Pay now or pay later, or lose the fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    rotenone, dynamite, , nukes.....in that order.
    anything else is a stopgap feelgood attempt at making a difference.
    hate to be a doomsayer, but once you are "piked"... fisheries as you have come to know them are OVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    I have heard that a few states have put a bounty on Pike. Something like $5.00 or $10.00 a head. If fish and game really care about the salmon fisheries they better act fast. The bounty will not get rid of the pike but it seems to keep them at bay. Pay now or pay later, or lose the fishery.
    at $10 a head a guy could make a goooood living just pike fishing.....if that happened I'd definitely consider a career change...

So how are pike decitimating salmon fisheries? Do the adults eat the smolt? or do the pike smolt out compete the salmon smolt. Just curious, in Bristol Bay we have awesome pike and salmon fishing on the same river(Nushagak) and all the fresh water around here has pike and no shortage of salmon. Just curious how scientifically proven/documented this is, hear it all the time, wondering about the specifics.

KK

I have asked the same question. Apperintly it has to do with the geological structure of the system. This area has a lot of area that pike thrive in to the detriment of the salmon and trout populations.

I don't buy that the pike are going to wipe out salmon runs. Althought I do concede that they could have a pretty significant impact in some places. Truth be told, we all have no idea. However, due to the fact that salmon and pike do coexist in huge numbers, and in various systems around a Alaska, I think it entirely plausible that the impact will be minimal.

Pike have been co existing with salmon in some fisheries for thousands of years but when introduced to a new fishery that has salmon then Im pretty sure it's gonna have a devistating affect on the salmon run over time.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

the two areas that cry about pike being in the waters and affecting the salmon runs seem to be the most populated areas. anchorage and the kenai peninsula seem to have the most concern yet also have the most fishing pressure. am i making any sense? non residents of this state make way more an impact on our salmon runs than any pike population could. southcentral and the kenai have the biggest balancing act to accomplish and blaming pike is not the answer.

Default funny thing

The pike tast a whole lot better than salmon as well.
    PJ drop a pm sometime with some info & I would be glad to help the cause

Angry I Hate Pike!!!

Our lake was "introduced" to pike and went from nice trout fishing to only pike!

Default agree, and disagree

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    the two areas that cry about pike being in the waters and affecting the salmon runs seem to be the most populated areas. anchorage and the kenai peninsula seem to have the most concern yet also have the most fishing pressure. am i making any sense? non residents of this state make way more an impact on our salmon runs than any pike population could. southcentral and the kenai have the biggest balancing act to accomplish and blaming pike is not the answer.
    Yes Anchorage, and Kenai - because they are not native to that fishery. Also because where there are alot of people who depend on the resource - of course your going to hear more complaining from those places. Not saying nonres dont make an impact but that also again ties into the people who depend on the resource (guides, tourism based businesses). Where Pike will hurt salmon is in certain areas like lakes in which Reds spawn. If you get a Pike infestation in a lake where Reds spawn those Pike are gonna take a huge share of minnows that would be on there way out to sea. They already have a ton of predators picking them off but adding Pike will just be another one. If Pike take 10% of the hatchlings then that reduces the amount of returning salmon, then it just dwindles the amount of returning salmon every year by more, and more. I dont think anyone should be blaming pike for falling salmon returns but in some cases like with the Reds it really would hurt them over time, and could all but destroy a once healthy salmon run.

On the flip side: If a lake gets infested with Pike then there more than likley gonna wipe out all the already existing predators (usually rainbows, and Char). This would balance it some but in the long run Pike are known to "infest" not just exist, and also I think they can stomach far more food than your average trout. I dont know.... Time will tell.