Thread: caribou timing

Default caribou timing

Advice on time off for caribou anyone. I return from the slope on the 8th of August and am back till the 22nd of August. In this time my partner and myself want to book a caribou hunt and were looking to fly out of coldfoot 130 miles west to be dropped off at an unnamed lake we know about through someone else. My question is this too early to get into caribou in this area? I would ask the person I got the info on the ares to go from but he's moved and ive lost contact with him over the last couple years.Its in unit 23 north of kobuk river area.Any personal advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

I'm thinking that may be a little early. I am trying to think when the kids from kotz high did the caribou collaring at onion portage, but I am thinking that you are going to be a little eary. jmo

You would be better off picking a lake in unit 26 that early. Talk to the bio in kotz and get a report on where the GPS collars have been in the past for that time period.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Gonna change our times to be between Sept. 5th to 19th in the same area described above.This should be better chances to seeing bou huh? Again thank you for the input.

better, but a week later would be better

well, looking to book with Bettles Air and was told by them that they pull the planes off there lake by Sept 20th anywho. An ex tenant and friend of mine has been to this same place about 6 years running and flew with bettles air and he always brought back nice racks so im assuming he was out before the 20th as well.If I could only find his phone # I could ask him.