Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fever Struck!

Default Fever Struck!

Getting cabin fever!!!!

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Talking Your killin me

I am with you on the cabin fever....I cannot wait for spring to get here. And those pics are makin it harder...lol. Some beautiful shots though.

Great pics! I didn't see a pot-puller on your boat--are you pulling those shrimp pots by hand? How deep to you put them?

I got two this past summer, and have been trying them (with no luck!) at 300 feet, and they get difficult to pull up by hand after a while.

Awesome pics! This is the kind of post people should be putting up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Great pics! I didn't see a pot-puller on your boat--are you pulling those shrimp pots by hand? How deep to you put them?

I got two this past summer, and have been trying them (with no luck!) at 300 feet, and they get difficult to pull up by hand after a while.
    I have a Ace Line Hauler. I used to pull them using the bouy lift (like an anchor).

Default Oohhhhh that is painful to look at

All the water around here is hard... in fact it is about -40F at the moment

Default bait or help?

Nice photo of the kids. They look a little bit for bait so guess that they are your deck hands. Nice photos!
    Rascal is right, not a lot of soft water here. Took a drive yesterday and saw a warm of -20 and a low in the Chatanika Valley of -40. Not much happening in the way of boating here.
    I did get to look at progress on my new outboard jet stomp grate. It is looking good and I can't wait to try it. An added benefit to it will be the stainless structure protects the heel of the jet foot, which is aluminum. AKOZ is doing a fine job on it. I can't wait for the bill as that will mean we are just that much closer to spring.

Great pics!
    You are officially killing me...I`m spending my nights rigging gear and now I will have to go dig the boat out of it`s hillside tomb and start the thawing.

Default DMan

Where was that? Those are beautiful shots! What time of year were those taken! Geesh, I need an ocean boat! Hey, I noticed the cuts in the tails of the halibut; is that the way to bleed them or what?
    Jim

Default Have mercy on us!!

DMan,
    At the height of cabin fever, you HAVE to post those kinds of pictures ??!! Some of us are really struggling to maintain sanity at this time of the year . I have been repowering my boat for the last 1 1/2 months and dreaming of getting back onto PWS for shrimping/fishing this summer. Just got back from a trip to Dutch Harbor and will be working there thru April. After that will be working in Bethel thru June and July. Half of my shrimping/fishing season in PWS is already gone . Hoping I have a few weeks in May to get out and kill some seafood. LOVE the picture of your (I assume)deckhands with the shrimp - your little girl in her PJ's and rubber boots w/ her PDF and big smile is PRICELESS . That is what it is all about!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Where was that? Those are beautiful shots! What time of year were those taken! Geesh, I need an ocean boat! Hey, I noticed the cuts in the tails of the halibut; is that the way to bleed them or what?
    Jim
    Mosy of them were in PWS in May. I love the spring time out there. Allot of priceless moments!

Cutting the tails doesn't do much, cutting the tail completely off does more for bleeding them but I don't like doing that. I usually throat them (similar to gilling them). That really drains the blood but I cut the tails to just for extra. I didn't used to think that a fine job of bleeding them made much difference until I started doing it with salmon and really noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    DMan,
    At the height of cabin fever, you HAVE to post those kinds of pictures ??!! Some of us are really struggling to maintain sanity at this time of the year . I have been repowering my boat for the last 1 1/2 months and dreaming of getting back onto PWS for shrimping/fishing this summer. Just got back from a trip to Dutch Harbor and will be working there thru April. After that will be working in Bethel thru June and July. Half of my shrimping/fishing season in PWS is already gone . Hoping I have a few weeks in May to get out and kill some seafood. LOVE the picture of your (I assume)deckhands with the shrimp - your little girl in her PJ's and rubber boots w/ her PDF and big smile is PRICELESS . That is what it is all about!!
    I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one suffering!!!! HA HA HA!

Hopefully you get a chance to make it out. I will be out there!

My deckhands are the best. They love every moment on the boat and are actually getting quite good at poping shrimp heads!

Default Thanks for aiding my disease

Great pics Dman!
    My impatience has now been multiplied.
    Thought I'd post a couple for the freshwater guys.
    Love the 'salt, but there's just something about owning your own piece of paradise....

The pic with the sunset and fishin' rod: hooked up with a 26" Laker about 10 seconds after snappin' that photo. Still the best recipe for catchin' fish is to get preoccupied doing something else, get your hands full,stop watchin' the rod, and then, bam!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Great pics Dman!
    My impatience has now been multiplied.
    Thought I'd post a couple for the freshwater guys.
    Love the 'salt, but there's just something about owning your own piece of paradise....

The pic with the sunset and fishin' rod: hooked up with a 26" Laker about 10 seconds after snappin' that photo. Still the best recipe for catchin' fish is to get preoccupied doing something else, get your hands full,stop watchin' the rod, and then, bam!
    Very nice! You mind me asking what lake that is?

Default Thanks Dman

Dman-Nice photos, got any w/dead black bears? If you look at MRBILL's label on the photo it say's lk. louise 10/07. (when you go to click on it the label comes up)
    Thanks for all the great photos, post some more.
    BK

Charterboat Operator

Cutting the tails doesn't do much, cutting the tail completely off does more for bleeding them but I don't like doing that. I usually throat them (similar to gilling them). That really drains the blood but I cut the tails to just for extra. I didn't used to think that a fine job of bleeding them made much difference until I started doing it with salmon and really noticed it.[/quote]

when you cut the tails do you break the backbone?
    Does a pretty impressive job bleeding them if you slice as you have done then fold the tail over and break the bone, 2 foot squirters are a norm that way!

great pic's. Thanks for sharing

I haven't broke the backbone. usually then I throat them (cut the artery leading into the gills) i get the squirters. I should try both and see if I can get it coming out both ends.

BKMail, I have a few blackbear pics. I'll see if I can find them.

Default a couple PWS spring bears

I love Prince William Sound!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast