Thread: Cost Analysis

Eagle River

Default Cost Analysis

I've pretty much got what it cost to shoot except for powder cost per shot. How many grains of powder are in a LB?

Cap and ball revolver

100 Balls, 10.00
    100 felt wads, 7.99
    100 caps, 2.00? I cant remember, I got a 1000 pack in trade and have never actually bought them.
    35 grains of BP cost?

Inline Muzzleloader
    100 45 cal Jacketed bullets, 20.00 (hornady)
    100 sabots, 15.00 (MMP)
    100 primers, 2.50
    150 grains of 777?

I suspect a percussion flintlock rifle is about the same as an inline, minus the sabots.

As I recall there are 7,000 gr in a #.

As or the cost of shooting a rifle;
    Primers & caps are about the same cost as each other per 100, & if you use like charges the powder cost will be the same.
    So, if you are paying $35 per hundred total for sabots with bullets for the inline & $10. per hundred for round balls that leaves the traditional gun $25. dollars per hundred -whatever you pay for patches (I buy unlubed & spit patch most times so it's pretty cheap) to the good.

That's a pretty signifigant savings if you shoot much.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Eagle River

check out this chart, pretty cool.

So by my calculations. it cost me 30 cents a shot with the revolver.

83 cents for the inline (yowzer) Thats using 150 grain charges though.

I have pretty limited knowledge of more traditional loads for a flint or percusion gun but from what I can gather they are 60 to 90 grains of powder. Ill say 80 grains for the traditional calculation wich is 45 cents a shot.

Not bad when you consider 40-50 cents a shot with most pistol ammo and 1.50 or more for rifle.

If you get into casting your own conicals or round balls, the costs really drop. I use salvage lead, so my cost for 400 round balls or roughly 200 conicals amounts to the electricity needed to run my electric lead pot for about an hour. Probably way less, but we'll call it a penny a shot for round numbers. For 50 grain charges that I do 90% of my large caliber RB shooting with, $20/lb powder works out to 14 cents per charge. The 25 grain charges I use in small caliber and in reduced charges with big calibers must cost about 7 cents. An 80 grain charge is typical hunting load for my conicals and my RBs, so that would raise the powder cost to a little under 23 cents. Last time I bought caps I paid a little over $3/100 but for inflation we'll call it 4 cents.

If my math is right, let's see what I'm spending.

Small caliber or reduce charge large bore shots are 1 + 7 + 4 for 12 cents each or $12/100.

My messing around large caliber loads are 1 + 14 + 4 for 19 cents each or $19/100.

My big bore hunting loads, whether RB or conical, are 1 + 23 + 4 for 28 cent each or $28/100.

Heck, if I was shooting flinters instead of cap guns 3 grain priming charges would cost a little less than a penny a shot, but we'll round that up. I'd be saving 3 cents a shot or $3/100, which leaves shooting costs of $9/100 for reduced loads, $16/100 for messing around, and $25/100 for full power huntig loads.

Now, to make this real interesting, I got a bunch of powder for free from a friend's estate. That takes me down to 4 cents a shot or $4/100 no matter what I shoot. Heck, if I make the switch to flinters, I'm going to be down to 2 cents a shot or $2/100. That's down there with cheap 22 shells, isn't it?

Of course, I'm going to have to dump anywhere from $2,000 to $7,500 into replacing my cappers with flinters depending on how I do it, but that's the kind of funny math I hide from my wife!