Thread: Is there a possibility of gundog training classes in achorage area?

Default Is there a possibility of gundog training classes in anchorage area?

I did not want to hijack 3CBRS's post, so I started a new one.

Basically want I wanted to know is if there are any gundog training clasess like the ones they are offering in Fairbanks, available in the Anchorage or Valley area. I would love to get in on the class they are offering up there, but it is too far away.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default classes

First of all what breed or style of hunting dog do you have?
    The Arctic Bird Dog Association (ABDA) sponsors a novice level class for Spaniels and Pointing dogs. The classes are good for young pups up to a couple years old, depending on where the dog is in it's training program. The dates are yet to be determined, but usually they start in the spring, around breakup time.
    As far as retrievers go, I cannot tell you for certain, but I now there used to be a couple classes similar. Some of the classes have been held in the Valley. You could look on the local dog club websites for possibilities.
    There are also small groups of people who train dogs informally. They are not classes, but if you get in with the right groups they have some great experience to share. AS a member of the ABDA, I would like to organize a regular training session. The trouble is finding training grounds that are within a reasonable drive from Anchortown. Falcon ridge is too far for some people. I go there quite often, I live in Palmer so it is not as far for me.

Default dog breed/style...

My guess after looking at your webname that you have a retreiver.

Default Black Lab

My dog is a 11 month old black lab. I have most of the obedience stuff down with him, things like sit, stay, lay down, heel, and some of the beginner stuff with hunting. But I am not a professional dog trainer. I think a class would really be able to help me train him right. I came close to ruining him once, I don't want to do it again.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Clubs

The area down there has 3 retriever clubs that I know of that probably have training. Check out their web sites:
    http://www.retrieverclubofalaska.com/
    http://msgda.org/
    http://www.alaskaworkingretriever.com/

Default Classes

Wetland Retrievers in Palmer had classes at one time. Check with them on the web. There are several training groups in the area that some of the above clubs may be able to hook you up with. People are generally friendly and lots would be willing to help in exchange for someone to throw a few birds or bumpers for them.

I train with a group of folks and clients each Saturday.
    From puppies to Master setups.
    Give me a shout.

The local clubs also put on training in Spring. But they don't hold them throughout the year.
    They give you just enough to get started. Hopefully during that time you will meet someone to mentor you along.

Sounds like your dog is past those beginner stages. I have some obedience drills that will see how sound he really is. (Go,Stop,Come and Steadiness---you can't accomplish anything until you have those to build from.) We can discuss where your training is with him and where you want him to be. Then I can layout a training plan to get you there.
    Give me a shout.

Default re: Anchorage training classes

It's absolutely wonderful that WR has offered some individual help!!

If you're looking for training classes in Anchorage, go to http://www.alaskaworkingretriever.com/board/index.htm and send an email to the President, Bruce. Haven't seen an announcement yet, but I believe they're starting some Beginner Training Classes in February for retrievers.

The Arctic Bird Dog Association has Novice Training Classes starting weekly in April, with separate classes for pointers and spaniels and flushers. They have info & contacts at http://www.arcticbirddog.com/puppyclass.htm They have limited class sizes too.

Karen