Thread: 45 Long Colt Ported Barrell and Shotshells Do they Mix

Default 45 Long Colt Ported Barrell and Shotshells Do they Mix

Rather than bring the 410 for grouse this year, was thinking about purchasing some shotshells for my 45 Long Colt. It has a ported barrel, can I still shoot shotshells?

For further info it is a Taurus Titanium with a 2 1/2 barrel.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Hi shallowrun, I happen to have the exact same piece of crap Taurus paper weight that you have except mine is the stainless version. I have fired shot capsules thru it for the heck of it and you could probably kill a spruce hen with them if you were standing on its head and had the barrel within a foot or so of its body. I think the original intent of these shot shells was for snakes or angry butterflies. You could also probably dispatch a rampaging pet hamster if it turned vicious and escaped from its little cage…………………. But then again, their pretty tuff for a rodent, and it may take two or three shots to “anchor” him. I doubt it would be "enough gun" for a charging house cat, so be sure to treat fluffy with some respect!

Ok, seriously now, those shot shells really are pretty much worthless past about 6 feet. Even from a 10” barrel the pattern spreads so fast because of the rifling and lack of any kind of choke that you will be lucky to get half the pellets into a man sized piece of cardboard at 20”. If you want to hand gun them, I would suggest a 22 long rifle with copper plated solids and go for body shots.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

alangaq:

I just LOVE your Gun Tests.

Keep'em comin.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have the same pistol, pretty blue color, I did some tests with it and found the same thing. I carried it for snake protection in MS but at the range I found if you make more than a three foot shot, you better use a different gun. I would agree, if you sneek your game and can put the muzzle within about a foot of the birds head, you will be alright. I would not have shot a snake more than three feet from me, if you shoot anything bigger you'll just make them mad.

I have a 454 that is magna ported and i have used the 45 colt shot shells in it. They shot but I have to agree with the previous posts. Shot a ruffed grouse at 10 feet and it took 3 rounds then I cut its head off to kill it. I dont think it is that pattern as much as the pellet energy. It had less than a half dozen pellets in any meat but I had checked the pattern on a pop can at the same range maybe a little farther and it put them all in a area smaller than a foot circle judging by The snow around the can and atleast 10-15 into the can. This is out of a 4.5 inch barrel. but to make a long story short I think they are a waist of money and was reall tempted to start using the 454 bear rounds after that one. I also Had two other birds at 10-15 feet that did not seem grazed with the shotshells.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have seen the plastic shot cups for sale on-line someplace and perhaps it was Midway or Midsouth shooter supply or someone like that………cant remember for sure. But anyway, if you loaded your own you could substitute the same weight but with bigger shot. I don’t think you are going to get many “BB” sized pellets in that little cup but it would be a fun experiment. Anything would seem to have more energy that the super tiny shot that they come loaded with in the factory cartridges. I will tell you what DOES shoot good out of the TPOC (my acronym for Taurus Piece Of Crap) is the little 230 grain round nose hollow point bullet cast from WW alloy in a Lee mould. They are kind of a pain to cast, but the mould is inexpensive and if you load them on top of 9 grains of Unique they don’t have much recoil and shoot pretty well. Still, not the best “medicine” for birds, but a good plinking load none the less. And I know for a fact that this load will “anchor” fluffy with one shot!

As a side note, I don’t mean to knock your preference for any particular fire arm, and would never dream of disparaging anyone for owning one particular type or brand of gun over another. That being said, if I happen to own, and still have in my possession a particular gun that has been deemed by me to be………….poorly made or designed, I just cant help myself, and seem to be more than willing to open my pie hole and spew on about its faults. So please forgive me if I have offended you in any way. I guess I should focuses more on the positive attributes of the item in question, and to that end, I can assure you that the Taurus pistol I have, makes a superb door stop as the weight combined with the nice soft rubber grip provides ample traction to hold my door open even on windy days. I have also found the hammer spur to work surprisingly well as an impromptu bear bottle opener, but it is important to note, that even though the odds of my gun discharging, intentionally or otherwise is exceptionally low due to the afore mentioned poor design and construction, it just wouldn’t do to be shot in the face while opening a beer, so this task should only be attempted with the TPOC unloaded.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I use the shot shells in .45 ACP for red squirell pests and other critters. Remington made some that had #12 shot in them and speer had their's with #9 shot they both would take a sqiurill from the top of the tree and are real killers in close and function well. I have loaded them in .357 with good results. They are not a long bbl shotgun so there is no magic there and fine shot and penetration are the rule for head and neck shot kills. As far as porting goes plastic and lead don't hurt steel BUT the porting will ruin your hearing and make you a poor shot. Porting is unnessary gagetry that just ruins what should be fun time with your pistol while on the trail and runs the price up at the dealer (My opinion) I used to use a swaging cup in my .44 with shot caped off with a gas check then crimped. They worked well and just as good as a shot capsule.