Thread: Info on 40 Mile Air

Default Info on 40 Mile Air

Looking at doing one of their lake drop offs with a 185 for moose for 09, was wondering if anybody has done of these and if I can get some info, as far as number of moose seen and if any bears as well. Or if anybody done one of the super cub drop offs for moose, seen a couple post and could use some more info,

Default 40 mile

I have hunted moose and Bou with 40 mile air. They are great people. Leif will treat you right. They only have a limited number of moose spots, and they book up fast, many repeat customers. They do a few drop camps and a couple float drops. Lots of bears and wolves, we saw a few moose. I killed a 50incher, and we saw 2 other bulls. The weather was very hot and the moose were staying high. In a week of hunting I saw 9 different bears.

Steve

My buddy and I hunted with them in '06 and we were totally happy with the professionalism of 40Mile Air. Two kids getting braces have knocked a hole in the checkbook so it will be a few more years before I get to go again.

Gary shot this nice 63" moose that I called in to 35 yards on that hunt.. a whopping 600' from the landing strip. We had a great time

The season in the areas they serve is mostly only a 10 day season. They do service some areas with a bit longer season. The short season, combined with the willow regrowth after the big fires in '04(?) are going to build up some really good big moose. 40Mile controls how many hunters they drop into certain areas and WILL NOT drop another group right in on top of your group. They know the area like the back of their hand and every little area you can sneak a Cub into.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Best Transporter in the Interior

I have been flying with 40 Mile for 13 yrs. They are the best!
    Last edited by Sheep Hunter; 03-02-2008 at 09:41.

Great experience with them. Can't wait to head up there again.

Iíve heard good and some bad. It looks like some nice moose have been taken with them. My grandfather and uncles had a drop off in 2002 with them on a lake. I wonít say it was bad service but I thought the story they told be me was kind of funny.
    They are a little pricey for my taste and their 90% of success rate should be dropped to 30%. If they take a party of 3 hunters and 1 guy is successful on a moose they say the trip was 100% I say thatís more like 33.33% to me and dishonest.
    Also 20E has some of the lowest moose density in AK, the over population of wolf and bears donít eat spruce trees.
    I hunted a low population density in 20D in 2005 and killed awesome B&C moose but I would not expect to be counting moose all day long, but you just might get lucky and see a big one in those areas.

good luck!

Default Great Outfit

I had a great experience with their operation in 2006, will be using them again this year. They're very organized, take pains not to put people too close to each other, and know the area they fly into.

I would also recommend that you PM Bernie and get more scoop on his grandfather's and uncle's hunt in 2002, to learn from their experience if possible as well as to get another perspective.

Bernie - sorry to hear your family's hunt didn't work out like they hoped. I am also amazed at how everyone in AK computes success rates; BUT, I will say that hoping to get three bull moose, out of one camp location, is asking a lot! Very doable on caribou, pretty hard to do on moose.

Michael

I felt they were very honest with me about success rates, and the hunt overall. I went there knowing exactly what to expect, and how things would work. I talked with them many times over a 2 year period, and they were always very helpful and honest.

nmtaxi, i sent you a pm

They were very honest with me on success rates also. When I asked about the success rate of the area they were taking me to Leif asked me if I wanted to know how many groups were successful or individuals. He was very up front with me.

One thing about them is that they won't fly in marginal weather. Even if it's clear out and the wind is blowing from the wrong way many of the cub strips are unusable. The biggest complaint that I have heard about 40 Mile is the lack of willingness to put you in to your hunt or pull you out in a timely manner. I happen to like that they are careful, some folks don't because they think it should be like a scheduled airlilne.

Thumbs up

AKDOUG i'll have to disagree on the timely pick ups,i have hunted with alot of different transporters over the years and i can honestly say you won't find a better managed team then 40mi. I've done 7 hunts with them and not one time did i not get picked up on time,even in marginal weather..... I hate talking good about someone that doesn't need anymore customers.....

Default talking with my wallet

I flew with 40 mile three of the last four years, I'm booked again for next year. The year I gave them a pass was a good reminder to me of why I prefer them. As a professional aviator in my previous life, I apreciate thier professionalism, honesty and attitude. I don't have a lot of bucks, but they have earned the ones I have sent thier way. Other folks out there are as good , but I haven't found one better so far.

I spent three days in the bunk house waiting to go out..and an extra day after my meat went out from the field.. I gladly will trade those four days to stay alive I love to fly with people who take safety seriously.

I'd do it all again...and I will be doing it again in 2010

Thanks everybody, they sound like a good outfit, guess I will be doing some more talking with them. Steve

Default Fern Lake Moose Hunting Experience?

With 40 Mile or with another service, have any of you hunted moose at Fern Lake? I will be headed there this fall and am interested in anyone's experience or advice. It will be my first time hunting in Alaska and my brother (hunting) and father (not hunting) will also be along. We are all excited and anxious to get there.