Thread: Automatic Versus Electronic Shifting

Default Automatic Versus Electronic Shifting

I am buying a Honda ATV, If you had a choice would you take an automatic or an electric shift and why.

Manually shifted ,with the foot lever like the older King Quads. Nothing to wear out,no electronics,..... and when did shifting become that much work anyways.......LOL

You might be surprised how much you would enjoy an ES model. Theres nothing wrong with shifting with your thumb, keeps your feet free to rest high on the machine if you wish while going through deep stuff. Also a sure shift engagement with the ES, you dont accidently miss a gear from time to time which helps ease the mind when climbing a steep hill when pulling a load. My 02' 450 ES is my first ever elec shift and i got it more because my wife thought it would be better for her if she rode it, but it didnt take me long to get to liking it as well.Ive got 2000 troublefree miles out of it as now. Just my thought.

Default ES

I like the ES Rancher because it's just as easy to operate as the AT and a few hundred cheaper. I think the Rancher ES is funner to operate. Even though the ES electronics have had reliability issues, I think ES is still more reliable than the AT models.

I like the ES. If you have lots of water or need to do some technical riding on your knees the ES is the way to go. If you plan to do winter riding in temps below zero you will have some problems with the ES. Check the warning in the owners manual at your dealer for this.
    The Rancher model with the atomatic has had lots of problems and I would stay away from that one.
    Ride ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Default Ditto

stay away from the rancher at. I liked the Foreman ES.

Default Rubicon

Gives you both automatic and electric shift.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    I am buying a Honda ATV, If you had a choice would you take an automatic or an electric shift and why.
    Not trying to get a "Brand" war going but is Honda the only brand you are looking at?

Most of the Honda's have less ground clearance, less wheel travel, less rated towing capacity, and only three wheel drive compared to other brands on the market. Most people I have talked to in the last couple of years say they want to but Honda because of the "reliability" reputation of the Honda. They are surprised to hear that several other brands have "as good or better" reliability statistics than Honda and that Honda only offers three wheel drive. Honda just seems to offer so much less than most other brands. They are still winning customers based off their "reliability" of years past. Truth be known, other manufacturers are seeing better customer satisfaction numbers in the last several years.

Not trying to push one particular brand over another but Honda seems to be lacking in several important areas when compared side by side over most other brands. I would suggest you take a look at other manufacturers web pages and look at the specs of other comparable ATVs (motor size, weight, tow capacity, wheel travel, reliability ((not just perceived)), and ground clearance).

Just a thought...
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Not trying to get a "Brand" war going but is Honda the only brand you are looking at?

Most of the Honda's have less ground clearance, less wheel travel, less rated towing capacity, and only three wheel drive compared to other brands on the market. Most people I have talked to in the last couple of years say they want to but Honda because of the "reliability" reputation of the Honda. They are surprised to hear that several other brands have "as good or better" reliability statistics than Honda and that Honda only offers three wheel drive. Honda just seems to offer so much less than most other brands. They are still winning customers based off their "reliability" of years past. Truth be known, other manufacturers are seeing better customer satisfaction numbers in the last several years.

Not trying to push one particular brand over another but Honda seems to be lacking in several important areas when compared side by side over most other brands. I would suggest you take a look at other manufacturers web pages and look at the specs of other comparable ATVs (motor size, weight, tow capacity, wheel travel, reliability ((not just perceived)), and ground clearance).

Just a thought...
    Hey, no fair telling the truth You forgot to add they're overpriced, not enough models with IRS and they're stuck in the past with them dumb drum brakes.

Default My vote

I vote for an ES model. I prefer the shifting with my thumb rather than my foot, and I have not seen the "reliabiltiy issues" that some people speak of. I have been around my share of ES machines and can honestly say that not one of them have had any problems, including the 2 that I have. Any part of any machine can have a problem at any time, it doesn't mean that "reliability issues" are the cause. I say test drive both types of machine and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post

Just a thought...
    I would certainly hope so, otherwise they'd all be out of business. For someone not trying to start a "brand war" you sure do like bashing Honda's.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I rode a Honda 450 ES for years and was very comfortable with the shifting. I did have reliability issues with this system though, but to be fair, it had allot of hard miles on it. Two things in particular that I did not like. First off, my two year old was smart enough to start the thing and then with a push of the button, get it into gear. My fault of course, but an eye opener to say the least. And the second issue is the careful throttle use required to avoid jerking during shifts. Not a big deal unless you are carrying passengers. I have since changed ATV’s and now ride a pair of Suzuki King Quad 700 EFI machines. Aint never goin back baby! Dont get me wrong, the EFI and belt drive has some limitations, but to me, they are well worth the comfort and ease of use. Unless you are into serious deep water or mud bogging, I would re-consider your Honda fixation and go ride a few different belt drive EFI machines. I think you will be surprised how nice they are.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I would certainly hope so, otherwise they'd all be out of business. For someone not trying to start a "brand war" you sure do like bashing Honda's.
    Donno, 45.
    I've said it before. Some of us have had the Honda foreman ES and manual and really like them; but there are machines out there that are more comfortable, more powerful, just as reliable, and more fun to ride...
    Hey it's nice to shift that machine OUT of 4x4. Why should a guy have to go to cycle country for a 2X4 conversion kit? Hionda should know better. Drum brakes? Honda knows better.

The tasks I'd do daily with my machine is work my Foreman couldn't do with it's low ground clearance...
    Just a few beefs.

That said, If I had to buy one machine to last me until the end of time without a nickle's repair, it would be a Honda--probably a foreman 450 manual shift. It would just be a long, uncomfortable ride. My grizzly 660s have always been trouble free-never ever a repair. But I know the Hondas really run forever.

One more thing, John. I'd bet that if you and the wife rode modern belt driven, irs machines you'd absolutely love them! There's a reason guys have switched from such great machines like Hondas.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 01-28-2008 at 20:48.

If I wanted to start a "brand war" I would have started naming manufacturers and specs. I purposely left out brand names and numbers in an attempt to not go down that road. I was just trying to figure out if the aforementioned hondas were being considered because of reputation or other factors when there are so many other ATVs (regardless of brand) on the market with better specs. In my earlier post did I misrepresent anything or try to steer anyone toward a particular brand?

In fact, I think Hondas are a great machine...if you drive on dirt roads or hardpack on the farm where weight, ground clearance, 4x4, IRS, and wheel travel are less of an issue. Additionally, I think they are way overpriced for what you get. But, that is MHO. To each his own, I just figured the guy would be happier making a purchase based on knowing ALL the facts. This information is out there if you want to read it.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

You've been pimping hondas on here over all other brands, every chance you get, for years. Not that there is anything wrong with that

Test ride all of the brands, I did and ended up with the one that is right for me. Where I bought in the lower 48 the Honda's were way more expensive, I have not priced them here. Do your home work and make a decision that is right for you and your family. The above mentioned reasons are why I did not end up riding Honda. There are huge differences in specs you get for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    You've been pimping hondas on here over all other brands, every chance you get, for years. Not that there is anything wrong with that
    Actually, if you go back and read my posts, you'll see that I always tell people to ride all the machines and decide whats best for them. I love Honda's but especially my Foreman and I don't have any reason to buy anything else. Everyone brags up the IRS thing, i'm sure it's great and all but I have no issues with my SRA dinosaur and I can tow anything that a 600-700cc machine can tow. Some guys like to ride the bigger machines because it boosts their ego, you know bigger is better, blah, blah, blah.
    Frank, i've ridden IRS machines before so they are not new to me but the Honda is paid for and I really like that machine so I prefer to spend my money on hunting gear instead of wasting it on another machine when I don't need one.
    AkMuddy, it seems to me that the orginal poster had already made up his mind on what BRAND he wanted, he was trying to narrow it down to a particular machine so I was trying to stick to the topic and you were not, just MHO.

Default IRS or not??

Actually, if you go back and read my posts, you'll see that I always tell people to ride all the machines and decide whats best for them. I love Honda's but especially my Foreman and I don't have any reason to buy anything else. Everyone brags up the IRS thing, i'm sure it's great and all but I have no issues with my SRA dinosaur and I can tow anything that a 600-700cc machine can tow. Some guys like to ride the bigger machines because it boosts their ego, you know bigger is better, blah, blah, blah.
    Frank, i've ridden IRS machines before so they are not new to me but the Honda is paid for and I really like that machine so I prefer to spend my money on hunting gear instead of wasting it on another machine when I don't need one.
    AkMuddy, it seems to me that the orginal poster had already made up his mind on what BRAND he wanted, he was trying to narrow it down to a particular machine so I was trying to stick to the topic and you were not, just MHO.
    I have to agree with AKHunter45 here. Having rididen both IRS and non-IRS models where I ride I find that it wouldn't be worth the extra money to me. Plus if you get the IRS in a smaller model. 400-450 range you lose power compared to a straight axel. When you are going across huge tussocks or crashing through alders it doesn't make much of a difference IMO you are just trying to get through and hand on at times!!! Nothing is smooth. Granted if all your riding is on well established trails however, from my expereince that IRS is hard to beat. Just need to decide what kinda riding you are going to do.

There are alot of nice machines out there with all the different manufacturers. I happen to really like Honda's because its my personal opinion that they're very reliable. They do have some flaws I agree as does any machine. I have an 02' 450 ES foreman I bought new, it now has over 2000 trouble free miles. The 3 wheel drive as from factory isnt real impressive when it comes to crawling through the thick slimy stuff and there isnt a whole lotta ground clearance compared to some IRS models. The thing about IRS is the more load you throw on the racks the less clearance you have anyway. I made my Honda more worthy off road by adding a DGL to the front diff,a 2" lift and 27" ITP 589's. Not to mention a HMF ECO-Series pipe,jetted,Twin-Air air filter & Triangle ATV snorkel kit. To me it was worth it to add the mod's to my Honda, to others it would not.The only thing left for me to do is to add a front and rear disc brake kit wich I will do before spring comes. I very much admit that sealed drums have no bussiness being on a 4-wheeler now days and once moisture has krept in the brakes are never the same no matter how many times you take em' appart to clean,rebuild and regrease seals.

Oh Yea.....Back to the original post,The ES has worked great for me.Machine has pulled out moose,caribou and lots of gear with not a one problem. If I bought another it would be ES also,just wish the wifes 300 Honda 4x4 had an ES option when it was made!

I have a preference for Hondas. You can get it all in one. They have fully automatic with electric shift and when all else fails they have a foot pedal. On long trips the auto is great and when you have to scale hills or tough terrain sometimes the ES is more helpfu.