Thread: Howa .375

Default Howa .375

hey all, I was just surfin the net and came across legacysports.com who is the distributor for Howa. I notice that they are chambering for the .375 ruger for 08 and was curious as to what you guys thought about the Howa rifles.

They're the same thing as the Weatherby Vanguard.
    Accurate
    push-feed
    you can use Rem 700 bases.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard .30-06. It was made by Howa and it's a good rifle.

Default Howa Rifles.

I haven't owned one but a couple of my hunting buddies have. They seem to shoot pretty well, and I know Howa has improved them over the years. One thing I recall, with a friend who used a Weatherby Vanguard, was that he was in the habit of carrying his rifle slung on his shoulder with the bolt open. The bolt would fall out and get lost. I remember searching the brush at least three times for a lost bolt before he quit doing that. The Weatherby model was very pretty, but was poorly stocked for recoil, and the 7mm Rem. Mags. used to beat their owners unmercifully. I shot several of them and the Monte Carlo comb would rise up and bang me on the cheek-bone. Now we all know that 7mm mags don't kick, so somebody had to study a long time to figure how to make that gun feel like a big 'un.

I believe that on the Howa model they improved the stocks. They seem to be accurate in spite of having a hammer-forged barrel, and the price is right. At the rifle range I have helped quite a few people sight them in, and they were comfortable to shoot and tolerably accurate (1&1/2" average) with most ammo, so they seemed to be a pretty good buy for the average hunter. They are kind of a middle of the road, or "D width" rifle that goes out and does it's job. Most of the ones I shot were blued. I don't recall shooting any stainless models.
    Jack.

Default Howa owner

The first rifle I bought was a howa in 30-06 probably 12 years ago. Bought it for deer hunting b/c my friends had them one had a 300 win mag and won a 270. They liked theirs and I was new to deer hunting so I went with their opinions. My onebuddy sold the 300 b/c it kick to much and hurt his shoulder. I played football in college with him and he benched 500 LBS he took a lot of crap for the statement. The only problem I ever had with that gun was I got some reloads from a friend and he must not have size them right or something (I am not a reloader) because a round got stuck in the chamber (Night before deer season) I called about five people to figure out what to do and finally a hammer to the handle and never had a problem since. The next Howa I bought was one in 22-250 for antelope, coyotes and prarrie dogs. I managed to kill a few of all three with it. Then before I moved to alaska I bought one in 338 WINMAG. I also went with the Hogue over molded stock with a full bed aluminum pillar. I think I am also going to add a timney trigger to it. I have Burris fullfield II scopes on all three. I really like three howas I own and I am think about getting the wife one for up here but unsure of a caliber for yet.
    My two pennys,
    Tim

Default Howa

I won a Howa 1500 SS in 300 WSM. The stock is all plastic, hollow and cheep feeling, and the factory trigger is pure junk. I replaced the trigger with a Timney, one screw EZ to install and ordered a Hogue fully bedded stock. The action is smooth and it feeds nice. Topped it with Talley Rings and a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40mm.

Steve

I have a Howa in 338 that I bought last year. I actually bought the barrelled action and put a full aluminum bed block Hogue O/M stock on it. I like the feel of the gun and smooth bolt action. However, I have put about 100 rds through it with various handloads and can't get it under about 2.5" groups, so that is pretty disappointing. I know other folks have had good luck with Howa for accuracy, but mine is sub-par. My other complaint, and the complaint of many others, is the bad trigger. I think there was a thread on this forum to that effect, but many folks just pull the trigger and put in an aftermarket right away. The factory trigger is adjustable, but doesn't break clean and has some creep. Just rough overall.

I'd say Howa is a fine rifle for the price, most have OK accuracy, but most also have trigger issues from what I've found.

-JR

Thumbs up 300 wsm

i baught a howa 1500 lightning stainless in a 300 wsm. with a hogue stock. i shoot a 165 gr. barns triple shock and it does sub moa. it does like hot loads though. i will tell you that the hogue stock cut the recoil 50%. i can shoot my hot loads all day.

I have more info on this up on my website.

http://www.outwriteoutdoors.com/outwritetruth.html

Hope it helps!

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Thumbs up

I have a sysnthetic stocked/blued Howa 1500 in 22-250. It's a neat little rifle and very-very accurate with handloads and factory fodder. Yah, it's not a $3000 custom job, but it works great for me for what I want it to do, and that's whacking coyotes and foxes. It whacks the ba-jeezuz out of 'em too. No complaints. I like it... My .02...

If you look at the HOWA action from the standpoint of engineering I place it way ahead of the Remington 700 in current production, Howa has many design up dates that places it high in the running order. After say all the nice thingsabout the design of the Howa, I have to point out a fun****tal draw back to all push feed action that may or may not be used for dangerous game as to compared to control feed actions and the same use.

The .375 for me is a prime hunting cartridge, I use this ctg for all my Alaskan hunting. It will do everything that Alaska has to offer with the right bullets and correctly placed shot. As good as the Howa and as good as a .375 ctg is for our hunting, why would you want to limit yourself to a push feed action? I can sure see the Howa for a lot of other uses, just not for a rifle that is used for game that can eat back at you.

I had a Howa that was the first year of production and had and unlimited supply of free .308 Winchester ammo. I shot this rifle several hundred rounds a day five days a week. When I sold the rifle after about 10 months of shooting, the rifle was still gorgeous on the outside but the bore was invisible, the rifling was long gone. I sold this rifle to a close friend and told him the rifling was gone. He still has this rifle and has used it for deer hunting. Still loves that darn rifle and thinks i's the best thing he ever had to hunt with. I sold him that rifle in 1970. I have seen and worked on a lot of Howa action and have nothing but praise for them, just keep in mind their design limitation and never ask more of any action than what there design allows.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    why would you want to limit yourself to a push feed action?
    The military does and they do just fine. And I doubt there is anything more dangerous on earth than a two-legged freak with a weapon in his hand and who wants you dead.

Default Howa .375 Ruger

Just zereoed my new HOWA in .375!...Wow. get one if you can! I put a bushnell 4200 Elite illuminated 1.25X4 on it. It is also tapped for express style sights, but I prefer not to put sights on at this time. I zeroed to 1 in high at 100yrds, and even I got it done in 5 shots! I've killed several bears with my 300 win mag, but really can't wait for our Aug trip to Ontario