Thread: Wooldridge alaskan II

Default Wooldridge alaskan II

I have never been a boat guy. I grew up on ATV's and dirt bikes but everyone has ATV's now so everywhere you can get with one there is bound to be someone there when you arrive. I have been thinking alot about what (I think) I would want in a boat. In my research I drooled over the extreme shallow predator/sport-john/jetcraft 2175 but I doubt that I will run so hard that I need one that is that shallow specific. I want a aft helm with a canvas cabin and a forward load floor that would make it easy to put an atv in. I stumbled across the 20'8" Wooldridge Alaskan II with its tunnel hull and an optional drop down bow. Any one have any experiance with these boats?
    http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/photo...anII/index.htm

Default Alaskan II hands-on

I don't own an Alaskan II but a good friend does and last summer I ended up with the opportunity to get into that boat a lot further than most folks would want to. You see, I had this birthday...my 50th...lets just say he was driving, I was in my boat and we witnessed him hit a submerged ??? we never did determine what it was. From the damage it appeared to be a large log buried in the riverbed (a sleeper). Anyway, the boat swapped ends so fast that it's a wonder no one was hurt as the stern came out of the water, huge fan of spray, boat 180 degrees, transom slammed into/dug in the water and that boat just stopped-fast. Occupants rattled around but OK. Point is, it took a heck of a lick from the log, one strake was creased a bit and inverted from being pushed upward, otherwise no damage. We ended up using a CAT 966 loader and a fixture I made to push the strake back down into its almost original position. After all that, I started taking a good hard look at the boat in general but structure specifically. I feel this boat is well built but could certainly benefit from some added structure in the last 10' or so of the hull. The only other thing I have remotely "bad" to say about it is that the fuel tank is below the floor on the centerline and is one piece, 40 gallons, 8 or 10 feet long and is impossible to remove without modifications to the structure of the hull (ie cutting some cross bracing). If a guy had to or needed to remove it in the field, (say to lighten the load to get the boat unstuck for instance) forget it. Make no mistake, this is a riverboat, and has the flat bottom typical of many to go with it. It would benefit from some deadrise for improved ride in bigger rivers but the design works. Lots of room (he has the forward bowrider controls) and the outboard leaves more in the stern. I like the design and think for your purposes the landing craft idea is a good one. The boat handles well (just HAD to test it after I finished the recontouring of the bottom) and holds tight in all turns at speed. Power on his is a Yamaha V-MAX 150 w/jet, a bit thirsty but pushes it well. My search for a new boat had me looking at all kinds but if I had gone with outboard power with a jet, I would have bought the Alaskan with a big Honda or Yamaha 4 stroke. Quiet matters to me and these are really nice. I like the deck space at either end and a bunch of other features too. I have seen a few of these like that and talking to the owners everyone really seems happy with their boat. As for shallow runnin' the tunnel works, and the boat will take you to lots of great spots. I tend to get into places I have a harder time getting out of than the original entrance so I went with something else plus my hardcore days aren't over just yet. Got new ground to cover, other places to hunt and fish that my outboard jet doesn't like much. Guess that's it for now, Oz

Default OzAK

Maybe I missed it, what did you end up with and can you share a pic?

Default Wolly's R Great Boats

I own an Alaskan II, it is not the aft helm model. The boat is a tank, built tough, handles well. I use mine more in deeper water so I modified mne to run both a prop and jet. Great resell value. My 150 Honda is supper quite and good on fuel.

Steve

LuJon,
    A search here will reveal a ton of information about Wooldridge boats and there Alaskan models. Rarely do you find anything negative about them. People who bought them second hand still report that Wooldridge foots the bill if any defects are found, ever after years of use.
    Sea Marita will have them on display during the upcoming boat show starting in Feb at the Northway Mall.
    One of the forum members here (Sport Drifter) reported that Wooldridge is currently running about 5-6 months to have a boat built. Unless you purchase a boat you see at the show most Wooldridges are custom built to your specifications and can be built as you like them. For example when I was in the market for a boat to go moose hunting I wanted an Alaskan II but was not happy that it was only 20 feet long. So they built me one that was 23.
    Tennessee

Default drop down bow

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have never been a boat guy. I grew up on ATV's and dirt bikes but everyone has ATV's now so everywhere you can get with one there is bound to be someone there when you arrive. I have been thinking alot about what (I think) I would want in a boat. In my research I drooled over the extreme shallow predator/sport-john/jetcraft 2175 but I doubt that I will run so hard that I need one that is that shallow specific. I want a aft helm with a canvas cabin and a forward load floor that would make it easy to put an atv in. I stumbled across the 20'8" Wooldridge Alaskan II with its tunnel hull and an optional drop down bow. Any one have any experiance with these boats?
    http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/photo...anII/index.htm
    They can also build a drop down bow in the Sport model, and can move the windshield back a bit to give you more room upfront, in the Sport, and the Super Sport Drifter, but it does increase the price quite a bit. As low as the sides are you could build a ramp in the rear and a stand to place across the sport rails to hold up a wheeler. WB can build different rails or whatever you would need to make this work. I have hauled many wheelers on top of my engine cover, with a piece of plywood across the rails and engine cover. When I get to the cabin I just lay some 2x6 on the rails and drive off.
    As for the fuel tank in the belly,( see pics in Wooldridge Sport post) I would not worry about not being able to remove it in the field.

Hi guys, the question was asked about what boat I ended up with. After running flatbottom outboard jets for many years, thin bottoms, rivets, you know the situation there, I finally settled on the SportJon. Drove a lot of boats, lots of outboards, every SportJet powered hull I could get my hands on. It really comes down to examining oneself and your boating style, experience, propensity to hit stuff and getting unstuck in the (un)likely event you do stick it wherever. I knew a big V8 inboard would be nice, except on fuel and the tonnage is awful. I wanted shallow but it had to be light as I often end up running solo or with just my son (11) and we have to be able to move the thing back to liquid if necessary. I really don't plant a boat that often, but everyone here knows all too well that stuff happens. Again, fuel economy counts. I don't have deep pockets in the least and I ordered up a bare bones, no options built to order for me with what I needed, which isn't much. I weld quite a bit so will add whatever options I need in that way and will build some sweat equity in the boat. If I like the results, great, if not there will be a SportJon go on the block and I'll start over. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I should start a "Homebuilt SportJon" thread. If anyone is interested in the process and someone can teach me how to post pics on this stupid computer (read that as idiot operator, computer dunce) I can work through that.

As for the below floor fuel tank in the Alaskan II, I really wasn't making a big deal of it at all. On the upside, I love underfloor tanks for the increase of deck space they provide. Everythings a tradeoff. Later, Oz

Talking Hey OZ

Hey OZ how are you getting any work done on that boat if your always pecking away at the key board. I'll be in town on Thursday and hope to see some progress on that new salcha queen!!!