Thread: Skinning Rabbits

Default Skinning Rabbits

I remember some old timers talking about using a nail in a board to skin a rabbit. Is anyone familiar with this technique? I can't remember if you hang them by the head or the feet. Any help would be appreciated.

by the feet

Default Thanx

That is what I figured. By the head sounded too gruesome.

Default take an ear in each hand...

and pull! the skin comes off just like a jacket!!

There's a lots easier way if you're not saving the hides, and you can do it in the field rather than making a mess at home:

Place your knife on the side of each leg just above the ankle. Bend the foot sideways over the blade to snap the leg bone, then swipe the knife to cut it free.

Grab the head in one hand and the front shoulders in the other and spin the head till you feel the neck pop.

Now make a small cut through the hide in the middle of the back, then drop your knife and grab the hide on each side of the cut. Spread you hands apart and the hide will tear off in both directions, taking the head with it.

Use your knife to pick of any stray bits of hide (there's sometimes a little dab remaining at the tip of one or two legs), and nip off the tail.

Now lay the rabbit with its back down across your open hand with the head end away from you. Grab it and tip it head down so all the guts slide forward.

Hold your knife with the cutting edge facing out and insert the point right between the legs. Cut down toward the rib cage, being careful not to pierce any guts, though that's usually not much of a problem with them slid down out of the way.

Now tip the head up so the guts fall out, and use your knife to split the rib cage. Pull out the heart, liver and lungs.

Use your knife point to split the pelvis and get rid of the large intestine and the few pellets within.

You can do all that in about a minute, surely much less time than it take you to read this, much less than for me to write it.

If there are two of you, have one guy doing the skinning and the other do the gutting. You can average under a minute a rabbit, and that's a huge consideration when you have lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There's a lots easier way if you're not saving the hides, and you can do it in the field rather than making a mess at home:

Place your knife on the side of each leg just above the ankle. Bend the foot sideways over the blade to snap the leg bone, then swipe the knife to cut it free.

Grab the head in one hand and the front shoulders in the other and spin the head till you feel the neck pop.

Now make a small cut through the hide in the middle of the back, then drop your knife and grab the hide on each side of the cut. Spread you hands apart and the hide will tear off in both directions, taking the head with it.

Use your knife to pick of any stray bits of hide (there's sometimes a little dab remaining at the tip of one or two legs), and nip off the tail.

Now lay the rabbit with its back down across your open hand with the head end away from you. Grab it and tip it head down so all the guts slide forward.

Hold your knife with the cutting edge facing out and insert the point right between the legs. Cut down toward the rib cage, being careful not to pierce any guts, though that's usually not much of a problem with them slid down out of the way.

Now tip the head up so the guts fall out, and use your knife to split the rib cage. Pull out the heart, liver and lungs.

Use your knife point to split the pelvis and get rid of the large intestine and the few pellets within.

You can do all that in about a minute, surely much less time than it take you to read this, much less than for me to write it.

If there are two of you, have one guy doing the skinning and the other do the gutting. You can average under a minute a rabbit, and that's a huge consideration when you have lots of them.
    Yep. Haven't seen a faster way yet.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

Default You got a video?

Make a video?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Tim

If I owned a video camera, sure. One more excuse to pop some bunnies!

Just print this up and give it a try. It's dirt simple and straight forward, and I think my description is okay to get you through it.

I like to use a small pair of dykes (diagonal cutters) to pop the legs off don't risk slicing my finger trying to break bone with my knife and it is extremely quick!

Default need video

BrownBear,
    I'm sure you did a good job of expaining it but its that time of year & I got tired of reading after the 2nd line

I'm all for seeing a visual of Lujons method as well, the 1st part sounds intresting

Dykes would work great! Now all I have to do is remember to keep some in the truck......