Thread: Crowded Kenai Photo Wanted

Default Crowded Kenai Photo Wanted

Can anyone posted a crowded boat morning on the Kenai, say at X-Over, Beaver Creek, Mud Island, etc? Trying to show a friend what is in store for him when he comes up in July!

Thanks

Default honeymoon cove

not super crowded - but we were not alone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default A slow day?

fNp,

Looks like a pretty slow day of dip netting below the bridge??? Only 20 +/- boats in view... You must have been toward the front of the pack with the 100's behind you?

Good pic nonetheless...

I wouldn't know what a big crowd is like in the powerboat PU fshery... never been there to partake of the circus. NON-residents may NOT participate and are not even legally allowed to be on board a PU fishing vessel as passive observers.

I just lifted that photo from a Google image search.

Rivrat's pic of the Honeymoon Hole is a representative gathering at that spot these days. Most of the really big packs of boats seem to cluster in the more popular tidewater holes further downriver for first crack at the new arrivals of kings. And the fleet moves further and further downriver with each passing year. A hot bite can attract a lot of boats in a hurry. Stick at least another three boats into the foreground of rivrat's pic, and you'll get a better feel for what a real Kenai crowd might look like.

I once counted 73 boats in plain view of our own boat midway thru the Crossover... that's a lot of aluminum in only a 1/4 mile!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default crossover

5:03 am July 28, before the guides were set out...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <*)))><

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    ...and are not even legally allowed to be on board a PU fishing vessel as passive observers.
    Not so sure that's true, fNp. Two summers ago I had a friend from CA visiting when another resident friend and I were going dipnetting. We asked two troopers and one F&G official to walk with us through the regs on the matter. All 3 came led us to the same conclusion - the non-res can be on the boat, but may not touch the fish, net, cooler, or any of the other associated gear. It was a bit of a fiasco trying to keep him from touching anything, but we were successful in this regard.

I am familiar with that scene FNP! I remember floating from Moose to City Docks from one in a DB fun fishing with a buddy and I was beat and passed out by Pillars and woke up in the war zone down there with almost 400 boats dipnetting. Pretty much absolutely INSANE! I had to change my undies after waking up to a boat almost hitting us, then the next boat almost hitting us, ect ect. That dipnetting scene was definately the most battle I have seen on the Kenai.