Thread: what size boat are you required....

Question what size boat are you required....

At what size boat are you required to have a state or USCG licnse? And where can you get practial hands on training before taking the test , class, or whatever is required?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

As I recall any size power boat requires a state license, you can find the info on the states website.

As far as coast guard registration, I don't recall the size I believement its a factor of both length and displacement. For some reason I'm thinking it's in the 36-40 foot range for power boats.

For personal use boats there is no required training per se. The USCG Auxiliary offers some excellent boating safety courses at very nominal cost. As far as hands on training, the only courses I've heard of are for kayaks and sail boats. I don't know of any power boat courses.

The state license is that registering a boat or like an actual boat drivers license. I moved from Alabama and there you had to take a test with a seperate endorcement for your drivers license. I was just trying to find out if i need to take a class/ test to rent a skiff. Whether I "need" to take a class or not I want to learn how not to kill myself doing dumb things. Any other classes you know of besides the Coast Guard Auxiliary to help learn what not to do?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Ah, now I understand. No, you don't need to take a class or get some sort of adendum to your drivers license to opperate a boat, though it is an issue that gets discussed and has merrit. The state licencse is just to register the boat.

One of the most important thing to learn about boating Alaskan waters is the need to protect yourself from the cold water, and to carry sufficient survival gear. Also the massive tidal changes in some waters can be hazards in and of themselves.

I rented a skiff a few years back and in my ignorance didn't realize that the minimal coast guard required gear that was suplied with the skiff, really wasn't sufficient if something had gone wrong.

What waters are you planning to boat in?

I don't plan on boating in any waters untill I take a class. But it would be nice tobe able to rent a skiff and do some hunting and fishing in Cook inlet or PWS.

Default License requirements?

I think the original question has already been answered. I think it's worth an extra post on this thread just to clarify a few things regarding requirements:

1. There is currently no mandatory education or operator's license to operate a recreational boat in Alaska - either federal or state.

2. Most of the water that is being utilized for recreational use is under joint jurisdiction (both State and Federal). State and Federal regulations apply in these waters.

Here are some links that should help:
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boating/index.htm
    http://www.uscgboating.org/index.aspx

Please feel free to call me direct at (907) 463-2297, PM me or post your questions, thanks! Mike

Dredging up dead threads here so I didn't have a start a new one.

Just so just clarify, if I can afford to purchase, register, maintain, pay for fuel, insurance, etc, a 280' Yacht like Paul Allen, and it's ENTIRELY for personal use, I can personally operate the vessel with NO training, license or endorsement. Correct?

While possibly juvenile, there's something about that which still gives me hope for this world and our government.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Dredging up dead threads here so I didn't have a start a new one.

Just so just clarify, if I can afford to purchase, register, maintain, pay for fuel, insurance, etc, a 280' Yacht like Paul Allen, and it's ENTIRELY for personal use, I can personally operate the vessel with NO training, license or endorsement. Correct?

While possibly juvenile, there's something about that which still gives me hope for this world and our government.
    Yes you are correct.....

I believe you can also operate a commerical fishing boat in Ak without formal training.....

That is correct. In our state you don't need any type of license to operate your own boat. The only problem is getting insurance for the vessel. If you don't have a license or enough experience, I don't think you can get coverage unless you hire someone with the experience or the license.

...and don't forget the mandatory pilotage waters when you try and run your 280' private yacht up the Inside Passage...