Thread: Rem 8mm Mag reloads

Question Rem 8mm Mag reloads

I have about 80-100 brass for my Rem 700 8mm Mag that I'd like to have reloaded. When I lived in the lower 48 I worked with a guy that did them for me but he has now left his old job and I cann't get in touch w/him to find out the work-up he had. I do have a die but other than that I have no clue. Does any one have experiance with this round that can help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    I have about 80-100 brass for my Rem 700 8mm Mag that I'd like to have reloaded. When I lived in the lower 48 I worked with a guy that did them for me but he has now left his old job and I cann't get in touch w/him to find out the work-up he had. I do have a die but other than that I have no clue. Does any one have experiance with this round that can help me out?
    I haven't loaded for the 8mm rem mag but started loading for my .325 wsm which is the same caliber- .323 In my research of bullets I have found that there are .323 bullets that are designed for 8mm mauser which are to be used at lower impact velocities, and then there are .323 bullets that were made specifically for 8mm rem mag velocities, they are tougher bullets. The Sierra 220gr Gamekings have a thicker jacket and were designed for the 8mm mag. Speer says their 200gr ProHunter was designed for it as well. Swift A-frames (200 and 220), Nolser partition 200's and even the new 200 accubonds will work. As well as the 180 and 200gr Barnes TSX's. I would be nervous with anything less than a 200gr .323 with the exception of the TSX. But, contact the bullet manufacturers directly.

If it were me I'd probably load up some 220gr A-Frames.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Rem 8mm Mag reloads

i load for 8mm mag, but i have not hunted with it.

I have loaded 8mag for a friend since the year it was released. I can echo Snyd's comments about max loads with bullets intended for the 8mm mauser, but that doesn't preclude their use in the 8mag at 8mm mauser velocities for sweet shooting and great performing rounds.

The "serious" load we worked up over 20 years ago is a 200 grain Nosler parition over a near max charge of 4350. Newer powders will almost certainly give higher velocities, but he hasn't wanted to mess with them. His take on it: "Why change a load that already works so well?" So I'm sorry, but I can't provide more recent recommendations. RL-25 is a likely suspect. He's put over 1000 partitions through the gun over the years, taking everything from dikdik to brown bear with it. Hard to argue with success!

BTW- In addition to putting +1000 partitions through it, he's also put +2000 Speer 170 grain semi-spitzers through it at 2800 fps with the same powder. In addition to being a great practice load, it's also his favorite deer load. Best I can recall he has also popped a couple of elk with it.

This guy is probably the best field marksman I've ever known after a career wearing a green beanie, including three "visits" to Asia. But he's getting downright superstitious about his 8 mag. It's given perfect one shot kills on every head of game he's shot, and we're talking a lot of game over the life of the rifle.

Default load

8mm Rem Mag

185 Rem PSP
    IMR 4831 @ 78.0
    Vel 3023
    COL 3.59"

220 Hornady Spire Point
    IMR 4350 @ 73.0
    Vel 2787
    COL 3.60"

Rem Cases and Rem 9.5 Mag Primers

Thumbs up 195 Hornady

I noticed Hornady does not make the 220 gr anymore. But, they do make a 195 gr Spire Point and Nosler Accubond 200 gr should make a excellent big game load.

74.0 of IMR 4350
    with both bullets
    Rem Brass and 9.5M primers

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    ...Nosler Accubond 200 gr should make a excellent big game load.

Ya, I've killed couple sheep and a moose with them out of my 325. Recovered the one from the moose. Nice little mushroom. Weighed 140gr after breaking is spine.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Thanks for all the info

Hey guys, thanks for all the information you've provided. Now one more queston, is there anyone close (Anchorage or valley area) that would be willing to load some up for me. When it comes to loading ammo, I have no clue. That's why I was having another guy in the lower 48 load for me. I love shooting this gun and would like to have a good load for Alaska Big game. I own several other rifles but this is one of my favorites and shoots so sweet. I just don't like shooting the factory ammo thru it, I have all ways gotten better results from a hand load from her.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    i have loaded couple thousand rounds for this cartridge, really like the 200 gr accubond. reloader 22 or 25 depend on barrel length, working with the tsx right know, i am in idaho little far away...