Thread: counter rotator or not

Default counter rotator or not

I will be purchasing a pair of F250's for a 30 footx10 foot aluminum boat. It will be kept on a trailer and launched between uses, so it will not be slipped. Other than mobility at the dock what are the pros and cons of having right and left turn motors? At cruise will I notice a difference? I like the idea of only having to carry one spare prop.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Angry

On twins you want counter rotating props. You can get torque steer (hard to turn one way and not the other). Also equal performance when turning both directions. I forget if you which way you want them to spin but your dealer will know.

The way I see it if you are trying to nickel and dime it cause the counterrotator is more more you don't belong on the water. With twin 250s you are looking at 20-30K so an additional few hundred bucks ain't worth saving not to get it....

There MUST be something to it otherwise they wouldn't offer a counter rotator. Do't be cheap. IF you're gonna be cheap find a new pasttime.

Sobie2

Not trying to be cheap at all. The price difference is negligible. I was talking with a charter captain last night about this and he was runs twin 225's without out the counter and would not do it any other way. I had twin 100's on the old boat and did not have a counter. Not a big deal. Anyone running a pair of 200+ hp outboards set up like this?

I've got a friend with a 28' aluminum with twin 200hp yamahas that counter rotate. Those bigger boats often have no feedback hydrolic steering as well.

Sobie2

Default CR?

Spoiled One
    With motors in the 250 hp range you will want counter rotating with out a doubt , torque steer and handling at the dock are the primary reasons , but they are decisive reasons.
    My 225's are counter rotating and I wouldn't want the steering any harder.
    Do you have a merc dealer up there , Electronic shifting and power steering would be the best , both available on the Verados.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Jack View Post
    Spoiled One
    With motors in the 250 hp range you will want counter rotating with out a doubt , torque steer and handling at the dock are the primary reasons , but they are decisive reasons.
    My 225's are counter rotating and I wouldn't want the steering any harder.
    Do you have a merc dealer up there , Electronic shifting and power steering would be the best , both available on the Verados.
    Ken
    Yea, we have a merc dealer, but I have received great support from my Yamaha dealer. I have one right turn and one left turn on order.

Another advantage of counter rotators is fuel savings. If you run twins with both props running the same direction, ther is some prop walk which means the engines aren't pointing straight to the rear to keep you running straight, ie you have to put in some steering correction to correlate for the props pulling the stern to the side. This makes for added drag, and hence increased fuel burn. Over time you'll burn enough extra fuel to pay for the additional spare prop, and you'll also have the additional benefits already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Another advantage of counter rotators is fuel savings. If you run twins with both props running the same direction, ther is some prop walk which means the engines aren't pointing straight to the rear to keep you running straight, ie you have to put in some steering correction to correlate for the props pulling the stern to the side. This makes for added drag, and hence increased fuel burn. Over time you'll burn enough extra fuel to pay for the additional spare prop, and you'll also have the additional benefits already mentioned.
    Fuel savings will be a huge consideration! Especially at $4 a gallon in Whittier.
    I had heard that the left turn lower unit was less reliable than the right turn do to more moving parts. Apparently this has been remedied.

I guess I came across as being a cheap skate in my original post when inquiring how to power a 30 foot boat. Not my intention. A grand saved here or there can pay for a couple weekends out in the Sound.