Thread: "Tie Inn" in the valley

Default "Tie Inn" in the valley

The fly tying get together WILL NOT be happening this Friday. It will be happening February 2nd, that is next Saturday not this Saturday.

The confusion is my fault as I thought Sat. 2/2/08 was a week closer than it was. I mostly blame Narwhal cause, well, just cause that's what we percussionist do. Not our fault the lead was off tempo...

The "Tie Inn" will be February 2nd at Three Rivers Fly & Tackle, 9:00 a.m. Will be taken the task of spinning deer hair so if you are struggling with that come on by and get some working tips on that and many other useful junk...

Hope to see you there,

George

hey can you tell coldnorthpole to reactivate my dang aff account, am I banned or something. I want to pick on narwal!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Powder, I don't know. Narwhal is something of an anomally and we are very picky about who we allow to abuse him and how....Who am I kidding, we all need to hurl pickens at the blues drummer.

George

This Saturday we will be meeting at 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle shop in Wasilla at 9:00 a.m. Bring your fly tying stuff and any patterns you wish to work on or learn. This time we will be looking into spinning deer hair.

Come and draw on a wealth of experience or just have a good time talking about tying, fishing and other world problems we can solve...

George

Hey guys,
    Just a reminder, this cold Saturday morning lets meet and tie flies at 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle at 9:00 a.m. Bring you own tying stuff and questions/techniques to share. Spinning deer hair will be the technique targeted but we will try to entertain what we can. Hope to see you there.

George

We had three guys and me at the Tie Inn and worked on spinning deer hair mice and a foam and bunny mouse. Talked about fishing and lied about the size of the fish. You missed a great time, Chris2E brought dognuts and we had coffee and good conversation. The next one will be in two weeks on Feb 16. Hope to see more of you there.

George

Hey George
    I'd love too attend but the wife works weekends so Gunther would have to come with. Any objections? Did you guys also try stacking the deer hair? Stacking allows for more diversity in color and body shape and is a good addition to any ones flytieing skill set.(No I don't mean putting the hair in a "stacker" before spinning. Stacking in this case refers to a technique of building hair bodies and is different than spinning deer hair it can also be used to build raw wool and yarn bodies)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick,
    I don't think we would mind Gunther, how old is he. Never to young to be infected.

Would love for you to come by and show "Stacking" both with deer hair and wool. I played with wool a bit but as of yet don't have any good skill with it. Next meeting will be on the 16th.

Hope to see you there.

George

Gunther is 15 months old and can be a real handful but for his age he is well behaved I'll do what I can too keep the 16th open so Gunther and I can be there with my Renzetti ready too tie. BTW if anyone is interested in tieing on a rotary vice I'd be happy to let ya try mine.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Sounds great Rick,

George

Default May I inject

Gunther should be no problem. However, it is a working tackle/fly shop with lots of pretty sparkly stuff hanging around, and customers in and out. Bring something to keep him occupied, or some stout bungies for the car seat, and he'll be great!

Default Pack-n-play

The wife says a Pack-n-play would work too

Good Responce Steve,
    Have been missing you at the shop. BOF keeping you busy?

Will be attending the mens retreat at North Star this week end so if I don't see you tomorrw morning will catch up next week.

George

Ty George,

Rick, I hope you got the light tone of my reply there. No one working in the shop minds kids of any age, and the traffic flow in the shop is usually really light at that time, thus the scheduling for the tie in. Whats the worst that could happen? He breaks something and we'd have to sell it to you? Makes a mess that I'd have to clean up? Shoot, its winter, kinda slow, so projects are good to have. We also gave a 10% discount on any fly materials to the last group, because they all found something they had to have.

Yup, BOF has been eating up all my time, George. I'm pretty much finished up there, though. I passed the torch to Bruce and Andy for the deliberations period.

Guys I know Mike, Tim and Steve fairly well for a customer and one of the reasons I want to go is to introduce them too Gunther. Gun Tracy and I had dinner with a friend last night whose house is basically a construction zone. Gun's good about doing what he's told but I always have the pack and play with me in case I need it, I didn't last night. This is a 15 month old whose been hunting and fishing since he was 4 weeks old.
    BHA Member

Just a reminder that this Saturday Feb, at 9:00 a.m. 3 Rivers Fly & Tackle. Rick P has offered to give a demo on stacking deer hair and wool for multi color patterns.

Rick P, hope this is still on for Saturday.

George

I am so sorry guys Gunther and Tracy both got a wicked bad cold for Valentines day. With me up to my elbows in fices and vomit the tie inn completely slipped my mind. I'll try too make it up too you next time. Again my apologies!
    BHA Member

No worries Rick, I think most of us will survive. Hope the family is doing better now.

"Saturday's tie inn was awesome. We had six of us there and whipped up some cool flies. We didn't have the RickP show up for the stacking demo but we made it through the morning just fine. We went over some deer hair spinning again and mouse patterns and talked about some 1-2 day floats in the area. It was a great time.

Next time we will be tying up some bait fish patterns i.e. smolt and stuff.

Will keep you posted the closer it gets."

George