Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ineviatable...

Default The ineviatable...

Princess Cruise Lines will be regularly using the city of Kodiak as a port of call during the summer season.

They met with key community players last year to engage them in services.

Tourists will now be guided from ship to roadside locations by licensed fishing guides.

I know some of these outfitters. They are very professional and caring persons. They will lead the migrations of tourists to the migrations of the fish.

I will see it all, first-hand, this very summer. It was bound to happen.

Times change...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Summer

B not trying to hi-jack your thread but I sent you a reply about July if you do not receive it: 3 July is good to go with a start on that night or the 4th.

Blue Moose

Default Indeed

I saw Kodiak for the first time this fall and was really quite surprised at how small the road side rivers were compared to what I had imagined. I was there in October and there was a fair amount of folks around...I can't imagine adding too many anglers to that system without making it a real downer...especially for locals. Kodiak people were great and I'm sure that these operators are of the same caliber...but too many is, well, too many. But you're right, times change.

Default Oh yeah...

Times do change. I hope the operators take them to the American, where there is plenty of room. If the charter boys take them to sea and offer half day trips; they'll clean clock. Any way you look at it, it was ineviatable...

Got your mail and responded Moose.

http://www.alaskanathor.com

While your up there this summer take some pictures and post them on the site.

If there is no room for you fish put on your t-back and sell hot dogs down by the stream.

Talking

did you mean "inevitable" or "enviable"?
    (couldn't help myself....)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

wow that stinks well I'll have to find a new best place in Alaska
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wink Y'all come. . .

That's what advertising does. . .

Well that stinks! If princess cruises are anything like the rest of the cruise ships I've seen in other ports they'll be in town for 24 hours or less. I wonder if the cruise director will teach the passengers to yell " inna mouse, inna mouse!" when ever they hook up?

Default Aw, we know...

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    did you mean "inevitable" or "enviable"?
    (couldn't help myself....)
    ...you just want 'em in Homer, Dave.

Default Towering terror...

When I first saw those massive floating hotels berthed up last July it blew me away. They are monsters. I don't begrudge the industry, I'm only commenting about it.

The docking area is not central to the downtown and too far to walk into town. The only thing for a tourist to do is to taxi or take an excursion.

Last year the town did not have a grip on the opportunity. This year they do.

I don't blame them for puting together guided services, but I fear for the impact on fragile streams.

I'm glad I discovered this place in 2003 and that I wrote about it in 2006. At least I tried to be holistic in my approach, and I told the reader to be responsible in keeping the place as pristine as they could. Some will take my advice and some will not. Others won't even care due to fish on the brain.

Sure, I'll post some pics; my writing assignments bring me into the area for 2 weeks and I'll be glad to share them. If I lived in that town I would definitely be trying to figure out a way to make some money off all those spawning cruisers.They have deep pockets.The Kodiak stopover is part of a cruise across the Pacific and into the Orient. Based on that, the potential is enormous.

Heaven help the fish; they are about to take a beating. The only way to get the jump on local roadside opportunity and avoid the cruisers will be to be on the streams at first light and then leave them when the vans and busses come.

That's how I figure it...

Not to worry. They're only in town 8 hours, so there's not an outfitter in the bunch who can schedule an outing longer than 4 hours. Subtract some driving time, and they'll be hitting the Buskin River and maybe the Russian. Stay away or eat a long lunch, and they'll soon be gone.

The bigger impact on locals is from folks who come and stay for days and weeks. The local tradition is lots of elbow room, but Kodiak has been Kenai-ed by this batch of newcomers. You can't just hunker down and wait 4 hours for them to disappear, and there's hell to pay if these folks see more than one car parked in the same place. They think they need to climb on top of others to find the "hot spots." Worse, they bring with them a different sense of space about how close is close enough on the water. More and more locals won't fish on weekends or even bother with silver salmon season in rivers.

The biggest change I've seen is a whole lot more recreational boats in the harbor and on trailers. There's even a new bumper sticker in town. "Leave the Rivers to the Tourists. Buy a Boat."

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    .....I was there in October and there was a fair amount of folks around...I can't imagine adding too many anglers to that system without making it a real downer...
    1) There won't be any cruise ship tourists on Kodiak in October (but there sure will be between mid-May and early September)

2) Fewer cruise ship type tourists thatn you think will actually fish; most of them are sightseers and shoppers

That said, like in Seward, they'll flood the road system and it will seem like an invasion.......

I know cruise ships have been pulling in to Kodiak since about '99 but those have been the smaller "adventure" type ships. Are the princess ones the 1000ft+ behemoths? How many times per season are they projected to visit? I guess I'll have to factor in the tourists as well as the tides from now on. I bet they won't fish in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    1) There won't be any cruise ship tourists on Kodiak in October (but there sure will be between mid-May and early September)

2) Fewer cruise ship type tourists thatn you think will actually fish; most of them are sightseers and shoppers

That said, like in Seward, they'll flood the road system and it will seem like an invasion.......

The point was...if I felt I needed to skip around to get a little water to myself in October....a glut of quick trippers during prime season could really tighten things up. And I'll bet sightseers go to rivers too! You are so literal sometimes.

Alaska is a beautiful place and we don't have exclusive rights to look at it and enjoy it but I will shamefully admit I like it when there's no one around, or at least enough room that I don't have to smell what they are eating for lunch. And my impression of Kodiak is that there just isn't that much room...period.

Default Slipping in...

I'll have the opportunity to join one of these excursions and then I'll write about it.

Should be interesting...

Write fast, cuzz you won't be in any port long enough to get much done!

Of course, the floating hotels will spend lots more time in Kodiak once they buy up a few local small businesses like they have done in every other port they visit regularly. Then their "tours" will only visit businesses they own.

Won't that be fun!

In their regular ports of call, survey the businesses they have you visit. That is REALLY interesting.

Oh, and watch your wallet.

Friends of ours were on a cruise when he developed spasms in his back muscles. He and his wife went to the onboard masseuse to see if a good massage would settle things a bit.

The price of the massage wasn't all that bad, considering. But then the muscle muncher asked if he wanted her to use a little soothing oil along with the massage. "Sure, why not?" they agreed.

Got their bill at the end of the cruise and the tab for that little handful of restful oil really spasmed his back! They whacked him $79 for about half an ounce of oil. Generic wine at the dinner table was $8 a glass, and a 15% gratuity is added on top of your bill, but meanwhile every service person on the boat expects an extra tip.

Now THAT'S the oil we ought to be running down the pipeline.

Fill in the blanks: R _ _ _ _ F. Could be a Russian word: IPOF

I have done a fair number of cruises that went down to Mexico. I have done a cruise booked fishing trip each time, mainly for the convenience. You would be surprised at the small numbers of those who go fishing in port. Now maybe the Alaska bound customer base is different.....but Mex. has some off the hook fishing...think tuna, wahoo, dorado, sails, marlin...etc. So I'm not so sure Kodiak is going to be hammered along the road system. So long as they steer clear of Larsen Bay, where my brother lives, I'll be happy.

Thumbs down Alaska for sale. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    . . once they buy up a few local small businesses like they have done in every other port they visit regularly. . .

Won't that be fun! . .
    Just one more way to "pimp" The Great Land?

We're still pretty much a colony up here . . not many nonresidents interested in anything other than what they can get out of Alaska. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast