Thread: Grouse in kenai keys?

Default Grouse in kenai keys?

Typically I'm in the keys every weekend starting Memorial Day weekend, being the water levels are too low to run a prop there that early I would like to take advantage of my new bow and try to find some grouse via a daypack and a mountain bike. Is there any grouse in the keys area? thanks alot -nick

Default I remember

When i was younger going out to friends cabins just below the keys and shooting rabbits, and some spruce hens but that was at least 10 years ago. I was thinking about the keys just a few weeks ago it's been awhile since I've been out there.

Check the small game hunting regs. If I remember correctly, grouse season doesn't open until August 10. Maybe hare (rabbit) season will be open, though.

I lived right outside the Keys for about three years and have been going there every summer since I was 4 (My grandparents live down there). The rabbit hunting around there is not that good nor is the grouse hunting. In the past 10 years several people have moved in there and several let there dogs run loose. Don't know if that has anything to do with it but in those three years I never saw a single rabbit. My brother and I used to get several in there but no more. I would suggest mystery creek road when its open. I have done fairly well there. If grouse is what our after hunt skilak road with a bow and you will get plenty of chances to shoot!!! Also I have seen Turkeys down there and if you get lucky maybe you can whack one of them. Have Fun!!!

Default There's a few

I hunted there several years ago and bagged both bunnies and chickens.
    With the downswing on bunnies I haven't hunted it for awhile, but I think we are in an upswing, and I may try again soon. Houses are encroaching though.