Thread: Wife and 2 friends are gonna learn to shoot!

Default Wife and 2 friends are gonna learn to shoot!

So a widow friend of ours wants to get a personal protection handgun. She asked me what she should do. I asked her if she has ever shot before and she said a little 22 rifle years ago. I said "take Joe Nava's womens handgun shooting class!" and then turned to my wife and said, "and you need to go with her!" (I've been trying to get her to practice with her 38 for years but no go). Well, to my surprise they recruited another lady friend of ours who actually just started shooting sporting clays with her husband this past summer. My wife emailed Joe, got the info and told him they would be there for an up coming course. I'm pretty excited about it.

So, if your'e wife is on the edge maybe you can bump her over by getting her involved with other women. You can email Joe Nava here in Fairbanks for more info. The courses are weekend courses at the indoor shooting range, costs a 100 bucks. Here's Joes email address. ffjn@ak.net

Oh, and then the widow asked me about what kind of a gun to get. I told her if it were me I'd by a hamerless revolver. Maybe a small frame 5 shot Taurus 357 or maybe some other hammerless revolver in a 44 special. But that she first needs to learn some basics and then find the gun that fits HER that SHE will be comfortable with in a high stress life or death situation.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My mother in law has a Lady Smith .357 and seems impressed with it. Nice looking, solid gun and easy to operate. I have yet to shoot it myself.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Ruger SP101

My wife has a Ruger SP101, she really likes it. It weighs just a tad more that the lady smith and I think she liked that too? She picked out what fit her the best and then she bought new grips for it. That suprised the ....... out of me!

Default Good advise...

I think the classes in this town are excellent and Joe is top notch. Also in the role of instructor in this community are Deb Hoglan and John Turner. They do a great job with the womens basic pistol as well. You know women need someone to go with them....the don't go to the restroom alone.

There is heavy emphasis on the revolver in these classes because they are simple to operate and generally less expensive with a very high reliability rating. So many women cannot open and lock back the slide especially on many of the smaller 9's or 40's.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I agree, Joe & the Fairbanks crew offer good classes. My wife and several of her firends took the womens class a couple years ago and all of them now own revolvers.
    The only comment most people have is not finding an opportunity to test fire several different handguns before buying. I know a couple who have bought based on hearsay and not liked what they have. This is why I tell my wife I need several different handguns so her friends can try mine before they buy.

Careful there, Partner........

I used to think the same thing, but I'm starting to rethink that. It seems like the more my wife shoots, the more she wants to try new and different guns. And any she likes are suddenly "hers." Most recent casualty was my beloved Savage 99 in 250. My hair really stood on end last night when I walked in and found her smiling while shouldering my 32 caliber muzzleloader.

It's starting to seem like the more guns I buy, the fewer I own.

Even so, I agree that it's important to let them shoot a variety and pick their own. However you manage to arrange the trial shoots, they'll be happier when it's their choice. And if they're happy, they'll keep right on using it.

Talking Works both ways

I bought the wife her very own 20 ga Redlabel and had it cut down to fit her short frame. Well one day we went shooting clays and since it was very cold and I wore a thick parka, I used her 20. Liked it so much I had to buy my own.
    And why is it everyone who shoots my 6in python doesn't want to hand it back?

Well, hopefully these gals will follow through. I think they will. My wife has an older SW 38sp she had actually bought before we were married 20+ years ago. She's awful proud of it cuz she went over to Down Under Guns when she was single to buy it and negotiated a deal. Well they wanted to take the wood grips off it and she said no way. She refers to it as her "38 special with antique grips!" But for some reason I just have never been able to get her to shoot it much. She's pretty conservative so I think it may be she thinks shooting all her bullets is a waste of money. Well, now I can reload for her "38 special with antique grips"
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again