Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 ruger alaskan vs 375 ruger african?

Question 375 ruger alaskan vs 375 ruger african?

does anyone know the differences in these two rifles? I have heard talk of the 375 ruger alaskan, but know nothing about it. Do these rifles exist? If they do, what are the good and bad of these rifles?
    Thanks!

375 Ruger African with 23" barrel, non-stainless:

375 Ruger Alaskan with 20" barrel, stainless:

And I said, yes, they do exist. There seems to be quite a few people on this forum that have one, including myself. I got the Alaskan model. My local Wal-Mart sells them.

Default Which wal mart

and where do you live Matt? How much are they? Cheapest I seen the alaskan for was $850 or was it $750, didn't seem to bad though. Just have not convinced myself I need one but keep visiting the .375 threads.

Wasilla. Back in December they were listed for $799.

I bought an African model back in May of last year. I loaded for it and shot it until the stock broke at the wrist. I sent it back to Ruger they quickly fixed it and sent it back to me. I shot it some more and broke the stock again and sent it back again, and they fixed it again and I shot it some more then sold it.

I bought an Alaskan model with the stainless finish after the African was sent back the first time. I shot it but didn't like the stock and ordered a McMillan stock to replace it. I then found an Alaskan model with the diamond Kote finish (black matte). I bought it and sold the first Alaskan model. The McMillan stock arrived, I bedded the matte black Alaskan model into the McMillan stock and sold the Hogue stock. I've shot these three guns a total of about 500 rounds between the three. Each of these rifles cost about $840. They are a little higher now.

This Alaskan model is a fine rifle now that it is in a good stock. Once I bedded this rifle it became a sub moa shooter. The 260 grain Nosler partition load is 2850 on the nose and makes half inch groups. The 300 grain Swift A-frame load is 2560 fps and is about a 3/4" gun. It is rugged and accurate, short and light weight. I think it is very aptly named.

Do they exist, yes I think so.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Smile Thanks Murphy!

That's just the knowledge I was looking for!! I might have to see If I can pick up an alaskan model. I might pick your brain alittle more on the specifics of the alaskan, but need to do a little more research, as my questions might be answered there. Need to look at vel/ft/lbs at different ranges. What I am thinking about setting this gun up for is Brown bear and moose. Thanks again Murphy!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    That's just the knowledge I was looking for!! I might have to see If I can pick up an alaskan model. I might pick your brain alittle more on the specifics of the alaskan, but need to do a little more research, as my questions might be answered there. Need to look at vel/ft/lbs at different ranges. What I am thinking about setting this gun up for is Brown bear and moose. Thanks again Murphy!!
    A perfect rifle for moose and brown bear. Actually, it's probably the perfect rifle for Alaska.

Default Just got one

I picked up the Alaskan model yesterday. Does anyone who has shot this rifle have any scope reccomendations? Are the rings that come with it strong enough?

Murphy what McMillan did you stick it in? Thats a very appealing package to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I picked up the Alaskan model yesterday. Does anyone who has shot this rifle have any scope reccomendations? Are the rings that come with it strong enough?
    Put a Leupold 4x on mine. The Ruger rings are nice.

Moose and Brown bear, yes, but too much gun for sheep and Bou (IMO) and not flat shooting for those distance shots on them either...hehehe

marlin,
    where did ya pick it up at, and was it on sale? What ammo you planning on putting thru it?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Murphy what McMillan did you stick it in? Thats a very appealing package to me.

The Sako Hunter style in O.D. green. It is rock solid, bedded full length, very strong and durable package. Recoil and accuracy got better with this stock. (Recoil seems less and accuracy is more better)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Your killing me Murph, man that sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The Sako Hunter style in O.D. green. It is rock solid, bedded full length, very strong and durable package. Recoil and accuracy got better with this stock. (Recoil seems less and accuracy is more better)
    Post a pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I bought an African model back in May of last year. I loaded for it and shot it until the stock broke at the wrist. I sent it back to Ruger they quickly fixed it and sent it back to me. I shot it some more and broke the stock again and sent it back again, and they fixed it again and I shot it some more then sold it.

I bought an Alaskan model with the stainless finish after the African was sent back the first time. I shot it but didn't like the stock and ordered a McMillan stock to replace it. I then found an Alaskan model with the diamond Kote finish (black matte). I bought it and sold the first Alaskan model. The McMillan stock arrived, I bedded the matte black Alaskan model into the McMillan stock and sold the Hogue stock. I've shot these three guns a total of about 500 rounds between the three. Each of these rifles cost about $840. They are a little higher now.

This Alaskan model is a fine rifle now that it is in a good stock. Once I bedded this rifle it became a sub moa shooter. The 260 grain Nosler partition load is 2850 on the nose and makes half inch groups. The 300 grain Swift A-frame load is 2560 fps and is about a 3/4" gun. It is rugged and accurate, short and light weight. I think it is very aptly named.

Do they exist, yes I think so.
    I am going to buy the Alaskan model soon but the only ones I've seen are the matte stainless models. Never seen a matte black one in the flesh. But when I read your post about selling the stainless and buying the black I got to wondering if they looked a whole a lot better and I would wish I got one too.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    I am going to buy the Alaskan model soon but the only ones I've seen are the matte stainless models. Never seen a matte black one in the flesh. But when I read your post about selling the stainless and buying the black I got to wondering if they looked a whole a lot better and I would wish I got one too.
    Here's one in black with a Leupold VX-7 (1.5-6 24mm)

375 Ruger.jpg

Thanks marshall !

I have the matte black alaskan. I like it alot. Plus it doesn't look like light rod out hunting, stainless steel glows! Yes it is stainless still. Mine is 3/4" with factory ammo. Waiting to try factory ammo from Double Tap! It is listed on his site, but was out of brass when I ordered. I think it was 270gr barnes.

sincerely, thanks for the heads up on the barnes availability. i plan on purchasing some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast